Places to stay. Vacations, weekend trips, anniversary ect.

mrflynn03

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Staying in Bloomington tonight to make up for my wife's bday. 

Found this place downtown called Walnut Street Inn.  Great location on the square. $75 a night. If you need a stay in town I highly recommend. 

Pic of my room 

images.jpeg.d5f963d4a8aad789eff21e2c59c4095e.jpeg

Looks nice and neat.  So you have your own private bath?  Is this an old house?  

Well, anyone ever fly Spirit airlines?  We are going for it.  Round trip, non stop to Ft. Lauderdale for $46 a person.  You are only allowed a backpack for free.  At that price I went ahead and splurged for the baby so we have the extra space and can carry his seat on and set him down when he falls asleep.  

Heading to Pompano Beach.  Wyndham Santa Barbara.  Looks like a 30 min drive from the airport.  Head out in a few weeks.  

Never been down that far on the east coast.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well, anyone ever fly Spirit airlines?  We are going for it.  Round trip, non stop to Ft. Lauderdale for $46 a person.  You are only allowed a backpack for free.  At that price I went ahead and splurged for the baby so we have the extra space and can carry his seat on and set him down when he falls asleep.  

Heading to Pompano Beach.  Wyndham Santa Barbara.  Looks like a 30 min drive from the airport.  Head out in a few weeks.  

I've flown with them. Very spartan experience. Kinda "we'll get you there, but while airborne, you're on your own." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Looks nice and neat.  So you have your own private bath?  Is this an old house?  

It's a small hotel type room with a full bath. It's like an old apartment downtown above businesses. It's very homey. 

We're definitely coming back. 

But there is a communal kitchen and living room. Well worth the price. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It's a small hotel type room with a full bath. It's like an old apartment downtown above businesses. It's very homey. 

We're definitely coming back. 

But there is a communal kitchen and living room. Well worth the price. 

the price sounds great compared to what you can get in Btown.  Some college kids are likely to move in permanently.  We have a studio that we airbnb/short term rent and we totally kill it.  Almost pay all our mortgage.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Glad for you and your family to get out to new adventure’s, just beware,Spirit is shall we say lengthy at handling the checked luggage you paid extra for!

Flew with them over the holidays because the timing of the arrival’s and departure were similar to my daughter’s family coming out of California, who also flew Spirit!

I”ll leave it at that! The flight was fine though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

They have flights out of Fort Myers to Indy a couple days out of the week....I think Tuesday/Thursday for really cheap. Like others have said...availability of flights is minimal and they do nickel and dime you for everything you would normally get (bags, carry ons, seating etc)....no frills we will get you there a little better than a crop duster lol...but I've flown my brother down and back using it because I'm a cheap bastard and he made it just fine lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world. Southeast Asia is by far my favorite. Would be happy to answer questions if anyone is thinking about ever heading that way. 

As for Spirit, you couldn't catch me dead on one of those planes. Allegiant either. I wish you the best of luck. 

Ha. Before we were married, my wife and I flew Allegiant nonstop from South Bend to Las Vegas. It was interesting...I would consider it again, as long as I could fly out of a small airport. I remember they only flew like 2-3 times a week back and forth, so it really limited our options.

• Like 1

Garden of the Gods Southern Illinois 2016 - YouTube

If you like outdoor stuff Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois might be a short trip away and they have plenty of wineries and cabins in the area as well.

Mammoth Cave National Park receives Environmental Achievement Award

Mammoth Cave in Kentucky can be fun and there are ziplines etc for the adventurous. We mostly take "active" trips as you can tell.

I also like eating at "The Hill" area in St. Louis when we go there for zoo or other activities. Some of the best Italian food I've had was there.

America's Last Little Italy: The Hill - GAZELLE MAGAZINE

Lamberts is unique and yummy in Sikeston MO, and I already mentioned Patti's in Grand Rivers, KY. Also took 3 day drive trip through Ohio that was fun....could hit up the Rock n Roll hall of fame, Football Hall of Fame, and either Kings Island or Cedar Point amuesment parks...lot's of other things you could plan out on that trip as well...but it drove well.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

We need a little getaway.  We always take the whole family really need a weekend for 2. Any indiana suggestions. We were going to Purple Toad Winery in Paducah KY and go to Metropolis. Lots of breweries and wineries in the area. 

Do you gamble in Metropolis or go for the Superman museum? Lived a few blocks from Purple Toad. Nice family. Not sure how often you visit Paducah but if you want a good steak then you might try Doe's Eat Place downtown by the River.

Doe's Eat Place, Paducah - KY | Roadtrippers

Skip the veggies and stick to the fries...but order the tamales as an appetizer...you will thank me! If you are having breakfast/brunch try the Gold Rush downtown. If you are staying or visiting Kentucky Lake area (Eddyville) stop at the Willow Pond for Catfish and their hushpuppies and fried pickles for lunch! 

WILLOW POND SOUTHERN CATFISH - 19 Photos & 30 Reviews - Southern - 124 Hwy  62 W, Eddyville, KY - Restaurant Reviews - Phone Number

Edited by dgambill

Obviously not something you would do this time of year, but in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan is an area called Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.  All sorts of outdoor activities, and absolutely breathtaking scenery.  Majestic cliffs up and down the shoreline.  We went a couple of years ago and did a guided boat tour on Lake Superior.  But, for the more adventurous, you can also hike, kayak, etc.

https://www.uptravel.com/outdoors-recreation/national-state-parks/pictured-rocks-national-lakeshore/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=search_2021&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_yL8avV9QIV4hXUAR25Lg3uEAAYASAAEgJf3vD_BwE

Photo by leela.manda, caption reads: Pictured Rocks Adventure 🙌

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Garden of the Gods Southern Illinois 2016 - YouTube

If you like outdoor stuff Garden of the Gods in Southern Illinois might be a short trip away and they have plenty of wineries and cabins in the area as well.

LOVED this place when I was younger. Was always the highlight of my summer (small town kid, yeah) when we drove over to visit. HAven’t been there in ages, but so many fond memories of that place. 

• Like 1

It's odd.  Other than Chicago, which I have been to a ton because of work and a few weekend trips, I don't think I've been anywhere in Illinois in the last 25 years.  Been all over a good part of the rest of the country, but all 'driving' trips have been to the South, the East, and the North (which is just Michigan).  Any trips West of Indiana have been Illinois flyovers.    

• Like 1