Deland McCullough

2 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

And soon Allen won’t be either if he doesn’t get the offensive side of the ball fixed. That starts with the OL. Another year like last year and he’s as good as gone. If you’re the boss you better surround yourself with top talent, not your friends…your friends will get you fired. If DM bails, it’s a horrible look…no other way to look at it.  

In your opinion 

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What? We literally replaced our OC/DC/DL. And our AHC can't offer any more stability then that because he didn't get his way? That's pretty weak if so.  

DM completely decimated our RBs room, btw.  

I mean, I like the defensive changes but that’s not exactly what our weak point was. Our offense was horrendous. The O Line was probably the absolute weakest part of our team. 

• Like 1

Look...if he isn't on the same page as Allen...then this is the best thing for him to do. Last thing you want is to have division in your locker room. If the rift is that they didn't also replace the OL coach (and it was evident that was the weakest link on our ball team) then I can't blame him if he has no confidence in doing his job. He stays and we have another horrible offensive year he is hurting his career. His job directly is impacted by the OL coach and new OC. If he doesn't believe in the direction of the staff then this is the best thing he can do. Doesn't make him bad or a traitor or anything. Just means he and Allen disagree and are parting ways. Time will tell who was right on the decision. I mean he is by far the most successful assistant coach on our staff...so this would be a blow...but not necessarily surprising if he had ideas of moving back up the chain to earn a greater position. I don't know why we would be vindictive of stopping his kids from transferring. That's just an a-hole thing to do. They have done nothing wrong even if we did have a falling out. That doesn't represent IU and the LEO attitude imo. Allen caught lightening in a bottle....we had some good guys on this team and had some success..especially during a crazy covid year when a bunch of powers were down and obviously not all in focused to play. We also had some cultural changes in society and that played in perfectly to his message of LEO...and our success together that just skyrocketed our recruiting etc. However....it will have to continue to transfer to on the field. If he has another horrible season next year how many of those future kids stay committed...stay at IU....he could easily find himself on the hot seat and out in a couple years. He better turn it back around. This isn't the NFL....but the same not for long applies to losing coaches. If one of his most decorated coaches jumps ship that is worrisome but not necessarily mean we are headed for trouble. If we continue to struggle....then those signs really become larger though.

1 hour ago, Hoosier82 said:

And soon Allen won’t be either if he doesn’t get the offensive side of the ball fixed. That starts with the OL. Another year like last year and he’s as good as gone. If you’re the boss you better surround yourself with top talent, not your friends…your friends will get you fired. If DM bails, it’s a horrible look…no other way to look at it.  

I agree with half of your post….the other half, nope. 
Good coaches find other good coaches to be successful because you have built trust, respect and a genuine friendship. Top talent/top players and top coaches don’t always equal a successful team. I’m not saying my opinion is gospel, I just know from personal experience. After coaching  girls basketball, softball, including Travel and Strictly Showcase Tourneys,…you want your coaches to be your friend, guys you can talk to and trust. These coaching relationships permeate through to the players. That makes a huge difference. I did for me, my coaches and players.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If one of his most decorated coaches jumps ship that is worrisome but not necessarily mean we are headed for trouble. If we continue to struggle....then those signs really become larger though.

If any of this is true, this would be a huge hit.  You loose your somone who came back from the NFL to raise his boys in Bloomington and then he might leave.  OL has been a weakness and if the good old boys network is how Allen does business it is a negative look.   I hope this is not true and I also hope Allen sees he needs all the help he can get on O after last season and 0 bowl win on his resume.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix

25 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I agree with half of your post….the other half, nope. 
Good coaches find other good coaches to be successful because you have built trust, respect and a genuine friendship. Top talent/top players and top coaches don’t always equal a successful team. I’m not saying my opinion is gospel, I just know from personal experience. After coaching  girls basketball, softball, including Travel and Strictly Showcase Tourneys,…you want your coaches to be your friend, guys you can talk to and trust. These coaching relationships permeate through to the players. That makes a huge difference. I did for me, my coaches and players.

I don’t disagree with you but trust has nothing to do with keeping your underproducing buddies on staff. If Hiller was a widely regarded, highly respected OL coach then toss my comments out the window. The fact is, he isn’t, I can’t even find his name mentioned with a postive around it. Being trusted is absolutely a qualifier but it can’t stop there. You need production you can trust in order to succeed. You can’t sacrifice one for the other or it will blow up in your face.

If you’re willing to fire Sheridan/force out Warren but not Hiller, I think you’re sending the rest of your staff a message…”if you’re my buddy I’ll protect you no matter what, if not you’re the sacrificial lamb”. Assuming CTA really is spurning the AHC who left the KC Cheifs to come coach with you to do so, you’re screaming that message from the mountain tops. 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like that IU football can't have nice things.  I think being an IU football fan had to be one of the hardest programs to be a fan of.

It's definitely a house of cards with very little margin. Look at the OSU game, complete sellout to start the game, a few thousand fans at the end. I am not down on the program or CTA, but he's never been the man in charge of a P5 conference program. At a consistently good program, you have to have a backup plan for your backup plan. At IU, you need backup plans x4. IU is going to lose talent on and off the field, but you have to minimize the damage as best you can. If you can't, the ship can go down pretty quickly. But that being said, I think last year was an outlier. I expect us to to bounce back and compete for bowl eligibility and when it's all said and done, that's what I care about. The rest is icing on the cake. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

22 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

It's definitely a house of cards with very little margin. Look at the OSU game, complete sellout to start the game, a few thousand fans at the end. I am not down on the program or CTA, but he's never been the man in charge at a P5 conference. At a consistently good program, you have to have a backup plan for your backup plan. At IU, you need backup plans x4. IU (like most schools) is going to lose talent on and off the field, but you have to minimize the damage as best you can. If you can't, the ship can go down pretty quickly. But that being said, I think last year was an outlier. I expect us to to bounce back and compete for bowl eligibility and when it's all said and done, that's what I care about. The rest is icing on the cake. 

I was at that OSU game

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like that IU football can't have nice things.  I think being an IU football fan had to be one of the hardest programs to be a fan of.

Well honestly…I don’t think we’ve even tried to have a good football program for basically the majority of my life until most recently as we have made some investments in that program…so it’s rather new thing to drop off from having expectations.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well honestly…I don’t think we’ve even tried to have a good football program for basically the majority of my life until most recently as we have made some investments in that program…so it’s rather new thing to drop off from having expectations.

In my 51 years IU football probably had 12-13 good seasons

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In my 51 years IU football probably had 12-13 good seasons

I'm right there with you. I hope the AD is keeping a close eye on the direction of the program. I like Coach Allen, but last season was a horrible disaster. If this doesn't get back on track, a change at the top might be in order. 

8 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I'm right there with you. I hope the AD is keeping a close eye on the direction of the program. I like Coach Allen, but last season was a horrible disaster. If this doesn't get back on track, a change at the top might be in order. 

I hope it doesn't come to that because we can't attract big time HC