Deland McCullough

Just now, IU Scott said:

You think he was upset he didn't get the OC job.  This wouldn't bother me as much if it was just losing a RB coach. For me the worse part is losing our top recruit.

If he was using his sons as a quasi “hostage” to get the OC job then good riddance. 

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I’m sorry, but coaches that continue to hop from job to job like this really pi$$wz me off! When does the loyalty, longevity and pride in a program ever stick. Good grief!

There has to be a reason and we will probably never fully learn the extent of it.  His entire family was part of the program.  I'm still confused on why Justin Frye was not a candidate for Allen and how they let him go to OSU.  

Coach CM was awesome and a talented recruiter.  Still hope this is a bad dream.  

I still trust the Coach Allen has his ducks in a row on this one. If McCullough actually, was not seeing eye to eye with Coach Allen on certain things, then he needs to go. I’m just guessing, no inside info. Yes he has some talented sons that could make immediate impact at IU, he’s not the head coach nor is he bigger than IU. 

Edited by Artesian_86

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I still trust the Coach Allen has his ducks in a row on this one. If McCullough actually, was not seeing eye to eye with Coach Allen on certain things, then he needs to go. I’m just guessing, no inside info. Yes he has some talented sons that could make immediate impact at IU, he’s not the head coach nor is he bigger than IU. 

Could be, but one has to ask why was it reported your OC, DC didn't see eye to eye, then a few position coaches the same?  Something is not adding up.  I don't understand what is going on with the leadership of the program.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

Afraid I’m feeling the same. 

Let’s not get dramatic. Let’s see how this season plays out. If they win two games, you can get dramatic. This blows but if DM didn’t have his sons, nobody would really care too much about this. It’s an odd situation and hurts the recruiting class rankings. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Let’s not get dramatic. Let’s see how this season plays out. If they win two games, you can get dramatic. This blows but if DM didn’t have his sons, nobody would really care too much about this. It’s an odd situation and hurts the recruiting class rankings. 

Don’t down play this. He’s the associate head coach too. Second in charge. That’s nothing to just dismiss. Kind of comical people would. 

• Confused 1

What an absolute gut punch. DM is the 5th highest paid RB coach in the nation and two of his sons (would soon to be 3) play on the team. Rival coaches are going to have an absolute field day with this in negative recruiting. I really hope this has nothing to do with Hiller and/or not giving DM the authority his AHC role was supported to bring. He was very vocal about why he took this job and it was because he wasn’t just an RB coach. It’ll be very telling if he’s not also named AHC at ND. 

19 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Won’t speak for others but in my opinion, DM was the prize, his kids were an added bonus. I was excited from the jump because of who DM is, as a coach, person, leader, etc. Does Payne even still come now? What about the transfers he recruited? If they all jump ship we’ve got absolutely no RB room to speak of. Gonna be a tense few weeks seeing how this all plays out

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victobmyboy said:

Don’t down play this. He’s the associate head coach too. Second in charge. That’s nothing to just dismiss. Kind of comical people would. 

He was here for a year and they went 2-10. Not dismissing him, I am as bummed as anyone, but let the season play out before we start jumping off the rooftops. Everyone is dramatic these days. It’s not like he’s leaving to go to PUke. ND is a big deal. Sorry fans, that’s a better job, and apparently he’s no different than most in coaching, he'll take a better job. From what I've read, he wanted the ND job previously and was actually the second choice this time, I believe former Bears RB coach was their first choice. Once Pitre decided to stay in the NFL, DM was their guy. If the Hiller rumor is proven true, then CTA will look foolish. But I don’t buy it. 

https://footballscoop.com/news/notre-dame-hiring-former-nfl-chiefs-assistant-deland-mccullough
https://irishsportsdaily.com/s/16898/potential-notre-dame-running-back-coach-candidates 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 2

Tough hit for sure but mostly because of his sons.

I'm still in the remaining positive camp but I can't decipher if this is all Hiller or something else? If it's Hiller and coaches are leaving because of how he coaches his line....we need to evaluate things Coach Allen. If it's something else I'd love to know what it is.

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tough hit for sure but mostly because of his sons.

I'm still in the remaining positive camp but I can't decipher if this is all Hiller or something else? If it's Hiller and coaches are leaving because of how he coaches his line....we need to evaluate things Coach Allen. If it's something else I'd love to know what it is.

IF this is at all Hiller-related, then it is extremely troubling. The argument of "no one person is bigger than the program" doesn't hold much water if it's used selectively. It can't only apply to Coach McCullough and not Coach Hiller.

There are likely differences in opinion and philosophy, and I'm sure Coach Allen was put in the unenviable position of choosing, but from the outside looking in, this isn't the best outcome. He certainly had a say in the decision, or at the very least the capability to sway things, and it appears that didn't happen.

Strictly my opinion, but I felt Coach McCullough is/was a better and more valuable coach at his position than Coach Hiller is/was at his. Based on that, I would keep the former over the latter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

IF this is at all Hiller-related, then it is extremely troubling. The argument of "no one person is bigger than the program" doesn't hold much water if it's used selectively. It can't only apply to Coach McCullough and not Coach Hiller.

There are likely differences in opinion and philosophy, and I'm sure Coach Allen was put in the unenviable position of choosing, but from the outside looking in, this isn't the best outcome. He certainly had a say in the decision, or at the very least the capability to sway things, and it appears that didn't happen.

Strictly my opinion, but I felt Coach McCullough is/was a better and more valuable coach at his position than Coach Hiller is/was at his. Based on that, I would keep the former over the latter.

Exactly. I always laugh when people say 1 person isn't bigger than the program....but 1 person is causing more damage to the program. 

I'll say this again just like you did. IF this is the reason coaches are leaving.....we need to take a hard look at Coach Hiller.