Deland McCullough

57 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. I always laugh when people say 1 person isn't bigger than the program....but 1 person is causing more damage to the program. 

I'll say this again just like you did. IF this is the reason coaches are leaving.....we need to take a hard look at Coach Hiller. 

That person has become Allen. It’s his ship. We and everyone else have taken a look at Hiller. We don’t like what we see. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Victobmyboy said:

That person has become Allen. It’s his ship. We and everyone else have taken a look at Hiller. We don’t like what we see. 

I need a little more evidence before casting one look at Allen. What he's done for our program deserves benefit of the doubt in my book. With that said he's in charge and if we go another year like last year (don't think we will) it's part of the business where people will start looking at him.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I need a little more evidence before casting one look at Allen. What he's done for our program deserves benefit of the doubt in my book. With that said he's in charge and if we go another year like last year (don't think we will) it's part of the business where people will start looking at him.

Allen took over a program that was built by Wilson.  He ran things different and on paper it was positive.  Is some of his teachings wearing off?  He talks about integrity, accountability....  Then all this stuff with coaches and favoritism is starting to leak.  And other signs over the year.  Now, he takes over the D when it was obvious he couldn't do both a few years ago.  What is happening?  Dolson needs to step in at some point.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Strictly my opinion, but I felt Coach McCullough is/was a better and more valuable coach at his position than Coach Hiller is/was at his. Based on that, I would keep the former over the latter.

In my opinion this is a huge understatement. Fans and beat writers had been harping on Allen all season about the OL play. It was the healthiest (and probably deepest in terms of experience, outside of LBs) room on the team and they were so bad Allen had to step in and make changes for Hiller publicly. Sheridan was down to a true freshman scout team QB (who was supposed to redshirt) and a walkon who wasn’t even good in High School. DM was down to a couple of walk ons at RB. WR room had its own issues, injuries and otherwise, but with the QB situation it didn’t matter. The defense was plagued with injuries all season and had a brand new DC.

If Allen was going to fire anyone, Hiller was the only obvious choice. So “IF” DM (as the AHC) said we need a change and Allen refused, this is an absolute failure on Allen’s part to be objective, professional and frankly do his job. Letting DM leave to draw a line in the sand for Hiller would be absolute negligence. 

Edited by Hoosier82
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Am I reading this right? People want a head coach out because a running backs coach left. The same running backs coach who has had 5 jobs since 2016.

Well no, you’re not reading it right. Everyone who’s commented as such (including myself) is focusing on how DM is leaving not “that” he is leaving. If the Hiller rumor is false, I’ll happily retract my statement…hell I’ll send TA an apology letter. However, this doesn’t appear to be DM leaving because he’d just rather coach at contender like ND.  He left (on his own accord) the KC ef’ing Chiefs to come to Indiana. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Very true. I hope so but the past as IU football is concerned is still awful. Give us old pessimist some slack. 🤣

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Big if true, but I’d temper expectations. He did the same regarding his OSU commitment only to retract weeks later with the “family over everything” quote. Someone did mention NIL being a factor so there’s always hope he’ll stay. Perhaps mom said “go do you in SB but we’re staying here” ??? A man can hope, at least. 

I thought Dasan did that

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I still trust the Coach Allen has his ducks in a row on this one. If McCullough actually, was not seeing eye to eye with Coach Allen on certain things, then he needs to go. I’m just guessing, no inside info. Yes he has some talented sons that could make immediate impact at IU, he’s not the head coach nor is he bigger than IU. 

Sooner or later you have to start asking why Allen keeps hiring the wrong guys. If all these Assistant coaches getting fired or leaving every season are the problem or is it the leader. High turnover rate points to leadership.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Big if true, but I’d temper expectations. He did the same regarding his OSU commitment only to retract weeks later with the “family over everything” quote. Someone did mention NIL being a factor so there’s always hope he’ll stay. Perhaps mom said “go do you in SB but we’re staying here” ??? A man can hope, at least. 

I think this tweet was from Deland II, the transfer from Miami (OH), not Dasan, the former OSU commit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

Sooner or later you have to start asking why Allen keeps hiring the wrong guys. If all these Assistant coaches getting fired or leaving every season are the problem or is it the leader. High turnover rate points to leadership.

2 have left to be the HC at another university, 1 left to be the RBs coach at their Alma mater, and the others weren't losses. Oh and lost the SC/speed development to Bama, replaced him with someone, at least, as good. 

I'm asking myself how the heck did he convince them all to come to IU to begin with. Impressive by him. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I mean, he's going to be gone in a year anyways? His past shows us that. 

That’s not how any of this was set up. He was brought in as the AHC. It wasn’t some made up title to justify the increased salary. He came here to put himself in a position to one day be a Head Coach and coach his kids. He publicly stated he wasn’t leaving KC for just another college RBC gig. If he was going to “bail after one more season” then why have DJ transfer here to sit the bench, Dasan spurn OSU and have Daeh commit to IU when he won’t even still be here? Everything points to CTA screwing this up and literally nothing points to “DM wanted a better opportunity at ND”. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I think some of you are projecting without having any idea what is going on behind closed doors.  I share in the frustration of him leaving but, wow, take a step or two off the edge of that cliff.

another knee jerk reaction. 

if someone farted in the locker room, people would be like…

geez did it smell too bad to make someone transfer? What did it taste like? Well, he farted because…. They definitely fed them too many beans. Clif Marshall made them do too many squats. 

he’s leaving. Why? Who knows? Will we ever find out why? I don’t know. It seems like an assistant coach is leaving because he didn’t get his way. Cool. Go cry somewhere else. You’re not the head coach. You’re not always going to get your way. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

another knee jerk reaction. 

if someone farted in the locker room, people would be like…

geez did it smell too bad to make someone transfer? What did it taste like? Well, he farted because…. They definitely fed them too many beans. Clif Marshall made them do too many squats. 

he’s leaving. Why? Who knows? Will we ever find out why? I don’t know. It seems like an assistant coach is leaving because he didn’t get his way. Cool. Go cry somewhere else. You’re not the head coach. You’re not always going to get your way. 

Fought this battle many times myself.

I agree with everything you're saying. Why does someone HAVE to be blamed for EVERYTHING? 

It's never ending, it's annoying to read, and it's absurdly counterproductive. 

• Like 2

Those of you dismissing the situation are missing the point.

OF COURSE coaches move around and search for better opportunities. That's part of the industry and profession.

But this isn't a Kane Wommack or Kalen DeBoer situation where it was clear they were leveling up... As @Hoosier82 said, all the signposts pointed to McCullough staying in Bloomington to coach his boys. This IS an alarming about-face that has credibility and isn't just a flippant "oh well."

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Those of you dismissing the situation are missing the point.

OF COURSE coaches move around and search for better opportunities. That's part of the industry and profession.

But this isn't a Kane Wommack or Kalen DeBoer situation where it was clear they were leveling up... As @Hoosier82 said, all the signposts pointed to McCullough staying in Bloomington to coach his boys. This IS an alarming about-face that has credibility and isn't just a flippant "oh well."

Naw. Not missing the point. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Fought this battle many times myself.

I agree with everything you're saying. Why does someone HAVE to be blamed for EVERYTHING? 

It's never ending, it's annoying to read, and it's absurdly counterproductive. 

The reality of this is: none of these decisions impact my life in any real way. For me, IU sports are fun to enjoy and I want them to succeed.

You are right that not everything has to be "blamed", but we do live in a world of cause and effect. All choices have consequences and it's completely understandable to be interested in how things play out and what caused change in the first place.

How is this discourse "counterproductive"? To whom and in what way? My ramblings on here aren't "productive" in any tangible way, so how is the opposite true?

This is a message board. This is the place to discuss things like this.

• Thanks 1