Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

I know TJD has experience going against the cock and is probably relishing the opportunity to outplay him, but I hope Durr gets at least 15 minutes against him. If Woodson kept Durr out today so that IL is less likely to game plan for him, I'd call it brilliant. Durr can pull him away from the basket, defend him, and keep TJD from wearing down. 

This is a game, like Purdue, where Durrs impact can be huge. I hope he is chomping at the bit to get out there and make the most of his opportunity. 

• Like 6

Judging by what I saw today it seems Illinois still doesn't know high ball screen defense at the top. Just trying to figure out the best way to use TJD in this scenario? Just a lot of pick and release back to hoop from Xavier? 

Kofi logged some minutes today and will again on Wednesday. I'm not saying he isn't in shape but I would mind the big guy having to run quite a bit if possible. Purdue is our rival. Kentucky is the Death Star. Illinois is the gnat that won't go away at the picnic. Hopefully we come out guns blazing. 

In the mean time. Nice week of practice and give the kids a mental break for a few days. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I know TJD has experience going against the cock and is probably relishing the opportunity to outplay him, but I hope Durr gets at least 15 minutes against him. If Woodson kept Durr out today so that IL is less likely to game plan for him, I'd call it brilliant. Durr can pull him away from the basket, defend him, and keep TJD from wearing down. 

This is a game, like Purdue, where Durrs impact can be huge. I hope he is chomping at the bit to get out there and make the most of his opportunity. 

I kind of get the feeling that Durr is in the doghouse.

1 hour ago, madmax said:

I feel like we’ve played a lot of games lately, so this week off should be great to get everyone’s legs back under them and hopefully get Rob healthy. Combined with Illinois playing a tough game Wednesday, I have high hopes for next Saturday. 

I hope their game against Wisconsin is a classic Big Ten football game with 7 OTs. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Am I crazy thinking that Illinois isn’t that good? I know they have a great record, some good wins, and a couple dominant players. But watching them on tv I’m rarely impressed with their execution outside of Kofi. I think this is a very winnable game if our perimeter defense is good. 

I think we can beat them, we played pretty close with them last season somehow. Also, AH is going to be rocking on Saturday 

49 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Am I crazy thinking that Illinois isn’t that good? I know they have a great record, some good wins, and a couple dominant players. But watching them on tv I’m rarely impressed with their execution outside of Kofi. I think this is a very winnable game if our perimeter defense is good. 

Illinois has the talent to be elite.  They have been inconsistent with player availability and that has probably played into continuity.  They can get hot and light it up!  They are not a team to overlook and they are a team that can make a deep run in the tourney.

• Like 3

As others have said Kofi is a one man wrecking crew. It’s hard to stop him. But limit him to 20 and don’t let him get 35. The key to winning is not turning the ball over and pressuring their shooters.  We can’t give them open looks from the perimeter. It’s really pointless to say because making shots is the name of the game, but limiting wide open shots will be key.  After Purdue and Osu, Illinois is in that next tier with Wisconsin in teams I hate. Really hope we play our game and take care of business.  

12 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Illinois has the talent to be elite.  They have been inconsistent with player availability and that has probably played into continuity.  They can get hot and light it up!  They are not a team to overlook and they are a team that can make a deep run in the tourney.

Don't forget that bonus Underwood is playing for.  He'll have them fired up. 

• Like 1