Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my opinion, it is more of a rivalry than some of you are willing to admit.  Is it on par with Purdue and Kentucky?  Of course not.  But, the fact that we go out of the way to make fun of their coaches (Underwood, Weber before that) and take great joy when they have an off the court issue (the term dUI, etc.) means we look at them a little differently than we do a program like Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland, or even Ohio State.  Our top 4 conference rivals are Purdue and then a big gap to MSU, Wisky, and Illinois in whatever order you want to put them.  

Wisconsin? why? I don't agree at all. I've also never made fun of them for the dui or their coaches because their coaches, quite honestly, are pretty good. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does anyone on here ever get truly upset when we lose to Michigan?  I mean, upset beyond the fact that losing sucks, or if it was for the conference championship or something.  If not, how can you put the Wolverines in the 'rivalry' group with teams like MSU, Wisky, and Illinois (Purdue is a given).

Maybe I have a different definition of rivalry than everyone else does.  But, I would think Illinois would have to be in the Top 4 of conference rivalries for every IU fan.   

Because I view Michigan as a bigger threat in terms of national prominence, etc., than I do some of those other schools. 

This is a fun topic, I'll post later with my list, but as a sneak peek in terms of Big Ten teams, after Purdue I kind of look at it as threats to sit atop the Big Ten throne in our place. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Does anyone on here ever get truly upset when we lose to Michigan?  I mean, upset beyond the fact that losing sucks, or if it was for the conference championship or something.  If not, how can you put the Wolverines in the 'rivalry' group with teams like MSU, Wisky, and Illinois (Purdue is a given).

Maybe I have a different definition of rivalry than everyone else does.  But, I would think Illinois would have to be in the Top 4 of conference rivalries for every IU fan.   

I tend to agree with this. I will say that RMK seemed to take a great deal of pleasure beating UM. I recall him being very animated when Alford hit that shot in the lane to beat UM in 1987.  His reaction was 100 times more excited than when Smart hit the shot against Syracuse.  

11 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I put Purdue first then probably OSU and Illini tied for second and then MSU. Wiscy and Michigan I don't see as hated rivals, more just conference rivals.

And really like @5fouls said there is a big gap between those teams and Purdue and Kensucky.

Im 40, just for context.  

Purdue, then probably a tie between MSU, Illinois.  I hate Wisconsin but wouldn't put them ahead of OSU and Michigan.  

So gun to head ranking. 

1. Purdue 

2. MSU 

3. Illinois 

4. Michigan probably because they have been more a basketball school than football for a few decades.  

5. OSU 

6. Wisconsin for my hatred

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Im 40, just for context.  

Purdue, then probably a tie between MSU, Illinois.  I hate Wisconsin but wouldn't put them ahead of OSU and Michigan.  

So gun to head ranking. 

1. Purdue 

2. MSU 

3. Illinois 

4. Michigan probably because they have been more a basketball school than football for a few decades.  

5. OSU 

6. Wisconsin for my hatred

So you’re a man……!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I will say that RMK seemed to take a great deal of pleasure beating UM. I recall him being very animated when Alford hit that shot in the lane to beat UM in 1987. 

A lot of that had to do with RMK's dislike for Bill Frieder...

Coach was actually friends with Frieder's predecessor, Johnny Orr...

But he hated Frieder...

Some background

• Like 2

Think about it this way.  If IU was destined to finish second in the conference standings, how would you rank the teams in order of caring if they were the team that finished first.  #1 would be the team that would bother you the least.  Purdue would be #13 as the school that would bother you the most. 

That's how I rate a 'rival'.  Who do I NOT want to lose to head to head or finish behind in the conference standings.    

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

For me when looking at rivals in the big ten I only consider a few as rivals.

PU.

Michigan.

UI

OSU

I guess it goes back to being a fan in the 80',s and 90's.  Those were the teams we usually battled for the conference titles. I have a hard tr putting UW in there because it had never been where both teams were winning in the series.  For me I remember beating them 31 straight times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Because I view Michigan as a bigger threat in terms of national prominence, etc., than I do some of those other schools. 

This is a fun topic, I'll post later with my list, but as a sneak peek in terms of Big Ten teams, after Purdue I kind of look at it as threats to sit atop the Big Ten throne in our place. 

That's basically the way I feel...Purdue, and then the schools that want to take IU's place place historically atop the conference...

I'd probably have to say Michigan State second right now because they've had over 2 decades of sustained success and 2 NCs...but we'll see what happens when Izzo bails...

After that it probably goes other Big 10 schools that have an NCAA championship...Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin...and Maryland, even though they won theirs while a member of the ACC...

After that, who cares...I do like beating Illinois because of their idiotic fan base, but historically, they're as insignificant as Purdue...they just don't have the luxury of being within our state's borders...they're only slightly above Minnesota and Iowa...

I more pity Northwestern than anything else...

The interlopers, PSU, Rutgers, and Nebraska I don't see as threats any time soon...although Rutgers has an irritating mock swagger that gets on my nerves...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Think about it this way.  If IU was destined to finish second in the conference standings, how would you rank the teams in order of caring if they were the team that finished first.  #1 would be the team that would bother you the least.  Purdue would be #13 as the school that would bother you the most. 

That's how I rate a 'rival'.  Who do I NOT want to lose to head to head or finish behind in the conference standings.    

This seems more a list of who you dislike than it is a list of rivals, which is not at all one and the same IMO. I can even respect and admire a rival. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Nebraska would be the school that wouldn't really bother me. Purdue, Illini, OSU then MSU and Michigan would bother me the most.

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Living in Michigan and having a son graduate from MSU, Michigan is my second most important win yearly. Not nearly as much as Purdue but way more than anyone else. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

For me when looking at rivals in the big ten I only consider a few as rivals.

PU.

Michigan.

UI

OSU

I guess it goes back to being a fan in the 80',s and 90's.  Those were the teams we usually battled for the conference titles. I have a hard tr putting UW in there because it had never been where both teams were winning in the series.  For me I remember beating them 31 straight times.

After reading your explanation I'm a little confused why you left off MSU?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

After reading your explanation I'm a little confused why you left off MSU?

I went back and looked at the big ten standings from 80-99 and MSU finished above 4th 4 times.  In the decade of the 80's MSU finished above 6th once and was only above .500 twice in tbe conference.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I went back and looked at the big ten standings from 80-99 and MSU finished above 4th 4 times.  In the decade of the 80's MSU finished above 6th once and was only above .500 twice in tbe conference.

After you posted that, I looked at who their coaches were...

In the last 52 years, they've had 3 coaches...Gus Ganakas, Jud Heathcoat, and Izzo...

Amazing...