Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Just reading between the lines, sounds like it was both a matchup issue and Woody trying to light a fire under Durr.

The last game Big Mike played in he was praised By coach for having his best game. There might have been a fire lit but it wasnt by coach.

34 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

They are just hyping ESPN products - UK - Louisville is not that big of a rivalry; completely onesided

Its a matter of perspective.  I grew up in Sellersburg with 90% of my family in Kentucky.  

That is a massive day in Kentucky.  The fandom of those people is off the charts.  I've been Bloomington and north for over half my life now and still to this day I've not seen the fandom of IU/pu come anywhere close to UK/UofL.  Parties everywhere.  The entire week you wear your color to make it known.  Every business picks a side.  The only reason Duke and UNC is close is because of tv and success, not because of the fans within the state making it a psychotic all encompassing event.  It's the only thing they have besides derby.  Nothing else competes with college basketball in the state.  No NFL, no NBA, no split with Notre Dame fandom and the turn coats, no Indy 500, even high school basketball.  Then you have the region and Ft wayne, they might as well be Michigan or some other state, no offense but that's where most of the turns coats are unless you are actually Catholic.  In Kentucky, college basketball is the religion.

Then take the perspective of the national interest and you will see that you are giving way too much respect to Purdue, with zero national championships and zero national following.  

No offense to your take but I'd rank UK UofL as the top college game of the regular season.  The only thing close is a Duke UNC game late February determining an ACC champion.  But I'm all ears if you can convince me otherwise.  Maybe viewership ratings but that's because of national interest and not boots on the ground.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

On 2/5/2022 at 12:31 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Its a matter of perspective.  I grew up in Sellersburg with 90% of my family in Kentucky.  

That is a massive day in Kentucky.  The fandom of those people is off the charts.  I've been Bloomington and north for over half my life now and still to this day I've not seen the fandom of IU/pu come anywhere close to UK/UofL.  Parties everywhere.  The entire week you wear your color to make it known.  Every business picks a side.  The only reason Duke and UNC is close is because of tv and success, not because of the fans within the state making it a psychotic all encompassing event.  It's the only thing they have besides derby.  Nothing else competes with college basketball in the state.  No NFL, no NBA, no split with Notre Dame fandom and the turn coats, no Indy 500, even high school basketball.  Then you have the region and Ft wayne, they might as well be Michigan or some other state, no offense but that's where most of the turns coats are unless you are actually Catholic.  In Kentucky, college basketball is the religion.

Then take the perspective of the national interest and you will see that you are giving way too much respect to Purdue, with zero national championships and zero national following.  

No offense to your take but I'd rank UK UofL as the top college game of the regular season.  The only thing close is a Duke UNC game late February determining an ACC champion.  But I'm all ears if you can convince me otherwise.  Maybe viewership ratings but that's because of national interest and not boots on the ground.  

FYI: I do not think that IU - PU is a bigger national rivalry than Louisville/UK. IU-PU is definitely a regional rivalry; more regional than UK-Louisville. Unless you live in Indiana or are a fan of one of the teams, nobody cares. In fact when we play UK regularly, I consider it the more important rivalry.  

But from my experience, Louisville-UK is also a regional rivalry (it does not really move the needle outside the region) and more imbalanced. There may be split fans in the Louisville metropolitan area, but I have almost NEVER seen a Louisville flag anywhere that isn't in the Louisville metropolitan area. I only have impressions, but Kentucky is not a state with a divided fandom. There are split fans near Louisville an then the entire rest of the state bleeds Kentucky blue. Not as bad as UC-Ohio State fandom splits, but still pretty bad. 

If regionality is not an issue and intensity is the target, I think UC - XU blows away Duke/UNC (having experienced both).  Those fans actually hate each other, it is not part of a show or something.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

FYI: I do not think that IU - PU is a bigger national rivalry than Louisville/UK. IU-PU is definitely a regional rivalry; more regional than UK-Louisville. Unless you live in Indiana or are a fan of one of the teams, nobody cares. In fact when we play UK regularly, I consider it the more important rivalry.  

But from my experience, Louisville-UK is also a regional rivalry (it does not really move the needle outside the region) and more imbalanced. There may be split fans in the Louisville metropolitan area, but I have almost NEVER seen a Louisville flag anywhere that isn't in the Louisville metropolitan area. I only have impressions, but Kentucky is not a state with a divided fandom. There are split fans near Louisville an then the entire rest of the state bleeds Kentucky blue. Not as bad as UC-Ohio State fandom splits, but still pretty bad. 

If regionality is not an issue and intensity is the target, I think UC - XU blows away Duke/UNC (having experienced both).  Those fans actually hate each other, it is not part of a show or something.

I don't disagree, but I'd then go on to say that all rivalries are regional in basketball except for the one ESPN forces upon us. 

Even in football, it's pretty regional. You ask someone in Ohio, and OSU/UM is the biggest rivalry in CFB. Ask someone in the south? It's the Iron Bowl. 

• Like 2

Duke…blah blah blah 

Duke kids don’t come from Durham or even NC.  None of them rooted for Duke since they were 7 years old.  They all applied to Harvard, Yale, Stanford and settled for Duke.  

level of pure hate:

Utah & BYU 

X & cincy 

Kansas & Missouri 

Bama & auburn 

Edited by Purdue7
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't disagree, but I'd then go on to say that all rivalries are regional in basketball except for the one ESPN forces upon us. 

Even in football, it's pretty regional. You ask someone in Ohio, and OSU/UM is the biggest rivalry in CFB. Ask someone in the south? It's the Iron Bowl. 

I am pretty sure everyone agrees that the biggest football rivalry is Rutgers/Maryland 😉

• Haha 1