Illinois pre game

Hoosierfan1901

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

I get it but when its been tried and failed miserably and made things worse.  

The B1G refs would do us all a favor if early in the season they fouled Wisconsin, MSU, Purdue and any hacking team, just foul out their starting 5.  Call 2 fouls simultaneously in the same possession.  Hell call 2 fouls on the same guy, one for each hand on the offensive player.  Send a strong message early in the season. Then we can watch some flowing basketball, instead of 58-59 meat grinders.  And the teams are prepared for the tourney.  Not the other way around.

Hate to tell you but IU is in tough defense club….. which is a good thing.

you were nice guys under Archie 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't know how you guys coach and don't get run. I know you have to set an example,etc...but when something is just dead wrong..and it keeps happening over and over what's a coach supposed to do?

I would be of the Bob Knight school of chair throwing to dispute officiating....which is why I belong no where near a coaching job.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Hate to tell you but IU is in tough defense club….. which is a good thing.

you were nice guys under Archie 

Being in the tough defense club and being in the club defense club are 2 different things.  

Wisconsin is the undisputed leader on the club defense club.  Then probably MSU, Purdue, Illinois underwood, and now IU enters the tough defense because of coaching, personnel, and a new attitude that frankly should have been sick of losing last year but finally added a guy like X that really hates to lose.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I try to explain to my Illini family and friends that most here don't view them as a rival. At all. 

Agree.  This game isn't any different to me than Rutgers, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland...

I certainly want to see IU win, but it's not even in the same stadium as beating Turdue and pUKe.  The bonus in Underwear's contact is both funny and pathetic.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The IU - Illinois basketball rivalry is on par with the 'Bama - Mississippi State football rivalry. 

Far from it now…..

only when it was Lou “ the Du” Henson vs. Coach Knight. He and Coach Knight didn’t always see eye to eye. I specifically remember Coach Henson calling out Coach Knight on and of for being rude and a bully…😆

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree.  This game isn't any different to me than Rutgers, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Iowa, Maryland...

I certainly want to see IU win, but it's not even in the same stadium as beating Turdue and pUKe.  The bonus in Underwear's contact is both funny and pathetic.

I like that he gets paid more if they beat us twice than if the players do well in class. 

A unique clause in the "incentive compensation" section of the first-year Illini basketball coach's finalized contract, signed earlier this month and released Tuesday, calls for a $15,000 bump for any win over rivals Indiana or Missouri (up to $45,000 in any one season).

— Also among the up to $900,000 in incentives Underwood is eligible for: per-semester bonuses if the team GPA reaches 2.5 ($6,250), 2.75 ($12,500) or 3.0 ($25,000).

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Far from it now…..

only when it was Lou “ the Du” Henson vs. Coach Knight. He and Coach Knight didn’t always see eye to eye. I specifically remember Coach Henson calling out Coach Knight on and of for being rude and a bully…😆

Yes, I remember...Lou's toupee was smoldering when he was up on the lectern sniveling... 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, I remember...Lou's toupee was smoldering when he was up on the lectern sniveling... 

I cracked up when RMK was responding to all of that:

Knight: The Big-10 all-star players, the freshman of the year, the coach of the year, the -- and I don't disagree with any of that and, certainly, since they feel that way -- and I'll tell you what, it has just worn my ass out. So we'll see all you Illinois people later.

Every time we beat Illinois, I hear that last line in my head. There was also some bad blood over the Eric Gordon situation which, considering how things ended with Sampson, might have been legit on their end. I also don't consider Illinois one of our rivals, but there has been some bad blood over the years with them, at least moreso than the rest of the conference (save Purdue, obvs).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I would not consider UI a big rival, but I would not put them with Rutgers or PSU either.

I think my Big Ten Rivalry ranking is: 

1. PU
  2. OSU
  3. Wisc
  4. MSU
  5. UMCP
  6. UM
  7. UI
  8. Iowa 
  9. Minn
  10. RU
  11. Northwestern
  12. PSU
  13. NU

I mostly agree with your list. I would bump Wisconsin down and pull Illinois up.

Purdue is without question #1. #2-4 are interchangeable in OSU, MSU & Michigan, in that we've all historically had good teams who've beaten up on each other. There's a "healthy" disdain/respect between IU and this group.

UI (#5) is more of a "rival" than UW (#6) in my book, as we've had more of a competitive balance with them. I personally despise Wisconsin, but it hasn't been a rivalry. Throughout RMK's tenure, they were nothing more than an elevated practice. Unfortunately, recently (and frustratingly) they've beaten our a**. It's not like we're trading wins, so it's not really a rivalry.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I like that he gets paid more if they beat us twice than if the players do well in class. 

A unique clause in the "incentive compensation" section of the first-year Illini basketball coach's finalized contract, signed earlier this month and released Tuesday, calls for a $15,000 bump for any win over rivals Indiana or Missouri (up to $45,000 in any one season).

— Also among the up to $900,000 in incentives Underwood is eligible for: per-semester bonuses if the team GPA reaches 2.5 ($6,250), 2.75 ($12,500) or 3.0 ($25,000).

D1 sports is a business or cesspool or both?

these bonuses are put in by his agent/lawyer who lives in the cesspool 

10 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

One week is a long time between games.

Perfect halfway point for a little  bit of rest, instruction, and catching our breath before our toughest 2 week stretch of the year....plus depending on how this storm plays out this week some of these teams might be spending the night or have travel problems.

Nice week to get healthy and wait for our guests from the West on Saturday.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Perfect halfway point for a little  bit of rest, instruction, and catching our breath before our toughest 2 week stretch of the year....plus depending on how this storm plays out this week some of these teams might be spending the night or have travel problems.

Nice week to get healthy and wait for our guests from the West on Saturday.

Definitely good for the team (especially for RP). I meant for my viewing 😉.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I mostly agree with your list. I would bump Wisconsin down and pull Illinois up.

Purdue is without question #1. #2-4 are interchangeable in OSU, MSU & Michigan, in that we've all historically had good teams who've beaten up on each other. There's a "healthy" disdain/respect between IU and this group.

UI (#5) is more of a "rival" than UW (#6) in my book, as we've had more of a competitive balance with them. I personally despise Wisconsin, but it hasn't been a rivalry. Throughout RMK's tenure, they were nothing more than an elevated practice. Unfortunately, recently (and frustratingly) they've beaten our a**. It's not like we're trading wins, so it's not really a rivalry.

To me a rival is a rival no matter how much of a pain in the rear they have been lately (read: winning too many games against us).  If my dislike for a team rises and falls based on how well they are performing against Indiana, then they aren't truly a rival to me.  We could beat Purdue or Kentucky 100 in a row and I am still hoping to beat them just as bad for #101.  Who cares about Wisconsin in the 70s to early 90s?  The only thing that really kept the Illinois game somewhat hot in the past 2 decades was them getting pissed an Indiana player changed his mind when a coaching change was made here.  I don't like losing any games but in the Big Ten it is Purdue is the rival and everyone else is situational.

Outside the BIG, it is Kentucky because they are soulless and evil and everything wrong with college basketball.  I have a begrudging respect for Keady and Painter, I generally hate the neighbors to the south.

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

I would not consider UI a big rival, but I would not put them with Rutgers or PSU either.

I think my Big Ten Rivalry ranking is: 

1. PU
  2. OSU
  3. Wisc
  4. MSU
  5. UMCP
  6. UM
  7. UI
  8. Iowa 
  9. Minn
  10. RU
  11. Northwestern
  12. PSU
  13. NU

We're splitting hairs here, but I put Rutgers well ahead of Penn State probably because of some recent history of success against IU and because they seem to have more than their share of unlikeable players.  I'd definitely put Rutgers and Illinois in the same neighborhood.  Neither one bothers me much more than the other.  I'd put most of the Big Ten in the middle with Penn State, Northwestern and Minnesota as the teams I care the least about.  Nebraska is a notch above that group of three for me because of the likeability of their players, much like Rutgers.

Again...splitting hairs.  For me, it's Turdue (and pUKe if they ever play IU) with a big gap back to a group battling for second/third place in  the rivalry rankings.  That's all I really care about.

In my opinion, it is more of a rivalry than some of you are willing to admit.  Is it on par with Purdue and Kentucky?  Of course not.  But, the fact that we go out of the way to make fun of their coaches (Underwood, Weber before that) and take great joy when they have an off the court issue (the term dUI, etc.) means we look at them a little differently than we do a program like Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland, or even Ohio State.  Our top 4 conference rivals are Purdue and then a big gap to MSU, Wisky, and Illinois in whatever order you want to put them.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

In my opinion, it is more of a rivalry than some of you are willing to admit.  Is it on par with Purdue and Kentucky?  Of course not.  But, the fact that we go out of the way to make fun of their coaches (Underwood, Weber before that) and take great joy when they have an off the court issue (the term dUI, etc.) means we look at them a little differently than we do a program like Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland, or even Ohio State.  Our top 4 conference rivals are Purdue and then a big gap to MSU, Wisky, and Illinois in whatever order you want to put them.  

I would say mild rivalry.  PU and UK being Major Rivalry.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not sure most of us view them as a rival. Just very very unlikable.  

• Like 3

Does anyone on here ever get truly upset when we lose to Michigan?  I mean, upset beyond the fact that losing sucks, or if it was for the conference championship or something.  If not, how can you put the Wolverines in the 'rivalry' group with teams like MSU, Wisky, and Illinois (Purdue is a given).

Maybe I have a different definition of rivalry than everyone else does.  But, I would think Illinois would have to be in the Top 4 of conference rivalries for every IU fan.   

• Like 3