What will it take to make IU a solid program.

So what will it take to make IU a program that competes every year in the upper half of the BIG?  I don't expect them to be yearly contenders but we should at least expect to sniff the good bowl games every so often.  The run on the late 80's / early 90's were solid teams.   We are in a good conference, have excellent facilities, great school, and the budget to recruit.  What do you think the biggest issues are?  Basketball school?  There are other schools that do well in both sports.  I live close to Louisville and they are competitive in both sports as well as baseball and soccer.   

55 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

So what will it take to make IU a program that competes every year in the upper half of the BIG?  I don't expect them to be yearly contenders but we should at least expect to sniff the good bowl games every so often.  The run on the late 80's / early 90's were solid teams.   We are in a good conference, have excellent facilities, great school, and the budget to recruit.  What do you think the biggest issues are?  Basketball school?  There are other schools that do well in both sports.  I live close to Louisville and they are competitive in both sports as well as baseball and soccer.   

Able to keep the best recruits from Indiana to stay home.  We can't keep losing recruits to Iowa or Minnesota type teams and try to get some that are choosing UM or OSU.

Consistently finish over .500

Those "other" programs are perceived as better because over time, they've had better records.  IU, over the past couple decades, has perennially been near the bottom of the conference.  It's really only the last few years that we've begun to reverse that, so it will take time to change that perception.

This year, getting to 7-8 wins, and winning a bowl game, would be a big step in the right direction.  Just getting to .500 and making a bowl game every year would help, too, though.  Slowly change the perception of IU as a basketball only school with a "bad" football team, and perception will become reality as more recruits see IU as a bona fide contender in football.

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Consistently finish over .500

Those "other" programs are perceived as better because over time, they've had better records.  IU, over the past couple decades, has perennially been near the bottom of the conference.  It's really only the last few years that we've begun to reverse that, so it will take time to change that perception.

This year, getting to 7-8 wins, and winning a bowl game, would be a big step in the right direction.  Just getting to .500 and making a bowl game every year would help, too, though.  Slowly change the perception of IU as a basketball only school with a "bad" football team, and perception will become reality as more recruits see IU as a bona fide contender in football.

Rogue, I agree on all points and I do think we are moving in that direction.  I just don't understand why has it taken this long.  I am hoping for a good year and to continue to build on the momentum we have. 

Fearlessness - can't back down from anyone

Attitude - have to believe we WILL win

Innovation - keep the other team on their toes

Trust - trust in Allen, trust in each other, trust in the program

Hard work - never take a day off

And most importantly, FAITH in Tom Allen and Indiana football.  I love his leadership and attitude and I think he's going to lead us to the top.  Things are going to start building.  We're going to start getting better recruits, we're going to start winning more games, and before you know it, we'll be going toe to toe with the big dogs.  Just gotta have faith.

16 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Fearlessness - can't back down from anyone

Attitude - have to believe we WILL win

Innovation - keep the other team on their toes

Trust - trust in Allen, trust in each other, trust in the program

Hard work - never take a day off

And most importantly, FAITH in Tom Allen and Indiana football.  I love his leadership and attitude and I think he's going to lead us to the top.  Things are going to start building.  We're going to start getting better recruits, we're going to start winning more games, and before you know it, we'll be going toe to toe with the big dogs.  Just gotta have faith.

Love your post.  I do have FAITH in the team, it just seems to get deflated too often.

5 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

Love your post.  I do have FAITH in the team, it just seems to get deflated too often.

Unfortunately I can't disagree with that.

I think the main difference with Allen is that he doesn't believe in winning by IU standards.  He believes in winning, period.  Most coaches would come here and see an 8 win season as a victory, but I think he wants more.  I really think Allen wants to turn this into his dynasty.

It's an overused cliche, but Allen has IT.  Our administration saw it too.  That's why I think there was kind of odd timing with Wilson being let go.  If we didn't hire him as a head coach, somebody else would have.

I know we've been beaten down forever as IU fans, but I've jumped on the Tom Allen bandwagon headfirst and I can't wait to enjoy the ride.  It's going to be a damn good view from the front of the bus :)

28 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Unfortunately I can't disagree with that.

I think the main difference with Allen is that he doesn't believe in winning by IU standards.  He believes in winning, period.  Most coaches would come here and see an 8 win season as a victory, but I think he wants more.  I really think Allen wants to turn this into his dynasty.

It's an overused cliche, but Allen has IT.  Our administration saw it too.  That's why I think there was kind of odd timing with Wilson being let go.  If we didn't hire him as a head coach, somebody else would have.

I know we've been beaten down forever as IU fans, but I've jumped on the Tom Allen bandwagon headfirst and I can't wait to enjoy the ride.  It's going to be a damn good view from the front of the bus :)

I'm all in as well.  Always have been.  It's hard to talk it up in groups as I have tried in the past only to be let down.  Hope you are right about Allen and the wanting to win.  Just hope it rubs off on the team and others around the team.

4 hours ago, jblaz13 said:

The thing that will help IU Football the most RIGHT NOW is (finally)winning the big one.

Here's a sort of fun question :

If IU wins tonight ,would they theoretically be a top 5 team? 

Nope. They'd probably sneak into the top 25 but don't think they'd be a top 5 team. I'm curious when the last time iu was ranked? Was it under Mallory?

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Nope. They'd probably sneak into the top 25 but don't think they'd be a top 5 team. I'm curious when the last time iu was ranked? Was it under Mallory?

I'd have to agree with that.  The only way IU sniffs the top ten is if we come out and absolutely destroy OSU, and I don't think that will happen.

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My best friend's dad was a kicker on that team!

That is cool................The thing I remember most about that season, other than defeating an undefeated BYU team in the Holiday Bowl, was getting hosed at Michigan.

• 3 years later...

I agree with a lot of what’s being said. We stuck with Lynch way to long. Then hung on to Doug Mallory way to long. Wasted a few teams there with great offense an absolutely no defense. 
I think we need to start winning the big games which is stating the obvious. We need to get to bowl games multiple years in a row on a consistent basis. 
 We can’t give up two touchdowns late in a bowl game because we don’t cover an onside kick. Good teams make those plays. Win games pull off upsets, that brings in recruits causes excitement. 
We are getting there but it needs to start happening. 
I like the direction Coach Allen has us going, but it’s time to take another big step forward. 

Archived