Chuck Crabb retires effective immediately

@Seeking6posted this in another thread, but I feel this deserves its own thread.  Chuck Crabb has retired, effective immediately.  He has had the PA job at IU for my entire fandom, I am 44.  I can't imagine what games will be like without his voice.  This reminds me of when Tom Carnegie retired at IMS.  The experience is still great, but it's just not the same.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

@Seeking6posted this in another thread, but I feel this deserves its own thread.  Chuck Crabb has retired, effective immediately.  He has had the PA job at IU for my entire fandom, I am 44.  I can't imagine what games will be like without his voice.  This reminds me of when Tom Carnegie retired at IMS.  The experience is still great, but it's just not the same.  

Iconic voice inside one of college basketball's iconic venues. I thought of Carnegie as well. We survived that and we'll survive this. For it to be immediate I'm hoping something isn't wrong health wise. 

I've seen this comment on twitter and it's so true. Only guy in the world who made sophomore a 3 syllable word. At guard 6'2 soph-a-more from New Castle, Indiana.....or my other favorite and the head coach of your Indiana Hoosiers. Bob Knight. So subtle but beautiful. 

• Like 2

Sad news. I hope all is ok health wise for Chuck...Love his work as the PA guy for IU...

I associate Tom Carnagie as much with high school basketball as I do with the IMS...Nothing better than Tom and Tony Hinkle for a semi-state or final 4 game in the late 60s-early 70s...

• Like 3

Not health related, thankfully

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Right around Chuck Crabb's 70th birthday, he got a not-so-subtle reminder from his wife Madeline, his bride for four-plus decades, that she thought about retirement far more than he did.

"Madeline said to me, 'I know you're not thinking about retirement, but I sure am,' '' said Crabb, the public address announcer for Indiana basketball game at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for the past 45 years who announced his retirement on Monday. "She was looking for houses in Southwest Florida, in the Venice/Englewood area, and she came by one not 10 minutes from Manasota Key, which is an area we've always loved, and we bought it last year.

"She's been down there since last year, and I spent June there, a few weekends, some time in December. We love it there. So it's not a health issue for me, or a forced issue. It's just simply time.'

Crabb, who's also been Indiana's Associate Athletic Director for Facilities since 1990 — ''my day job that most people really don't know that I have'' — retired effective immediately. It's all very sudden, but he said that his decision to stop now had a lot to do with the events of last weekend following the death of John Harmon, who worked for Crabb at Assembly Hall for 26 years. Harmon passed away suddenly at age 66.

"It all became crystal clear to me last weekend after John Harmon passed away,'' Crabb said Monday during a lengthy interview. "John was 66 years old and had worked for me for 26 years, and his family asked me to be the master of ceremonies of sorts, an officiant, if you will after he had passed.

"I heard so many people, his family and his dear friends, say all weekend long about how much John was looking forward to retirement, and to spending time with his kids and grandkids. That all really got me thinking. It was hard, but I sat down with (athletics director) Scott Dolson and Steve Harper — Indiana's deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer — and we worked out the details of my retirement. I do have a day job, and I've loved that too for 32 years, so there was a lot to tie up. It's just time. I've been blessed to do a job I loved for 45 years, but it's time to go. We talked about the end of the season, but after last weekend, I just feel like it's the right time to make a clean break.''

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-basketball-chuck-crabb-leaves-assembly-hall-with-45-years-wonderful-memories

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Sad news. I hope all is ok health wise for Chuck...Love his work as the PA guy for IU...

I associate Tom Carnagie as much with high school basketball as I do with the IMS...Nothing better than Tom and Tony Hinkle for a semi-state or final 4 game in the late 60s-early 70s...

Add Jerry Baker to the Pacer's broadcasts when they were in the ABA. Best wishes to Mr. Crabb and thank you for the many years of your service to Indiana Basketball. Just like Coach Knight, they don't make them like that anymore!

• Like 4

On 1/31/2022 at 11:49 AM, Seeking6 said:

I've seen this comment on twitter and it's so true. Only guy in the world who made sophomore a 3 syllable word. At guard 6'2 soph-a-more from New Castle, Indiana.....or my other favorite and the head coach of your Indiana Hoosiers. Bob Knight. So subtle but beautiful. 

My high school football coach said it that way. Never realized until right now that this is where he got it from. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 1:49 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

Not health related, thankfully

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Right around Chuck Crabb's 70th birthday, he got a not-so-subtle reminder from his wife Madeline, his bride for four-plus decades, that she thought about retirement far more than he did.

"Madeline said to me, 'I know you're not thinking about retirement, but I sure am,' '' said Crabb, the public address announcer for Indiana basketball game at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall for the past 45 years who announced his retirement on Monday. "She was looking for houses in Southwest Florida, in the Venice/Englewood area, and she came by one not 10 minutes from Manasota Key, which is an area we've always loved, and we bought it last year.

"She's been down there since last year, and I spent June there, a few weekends, some time in December. We love it there. So it's not a health issue for me, or a forced issue. It's just simply time.'

Crabb, who's also been Indiana's Associate Athletic Director for Facilities since 1990 — ''my day job that most people really don't know that I have'' — retired effective immediately. It's all very sudden, but he said that his decision to stop now had a lot to do with the events of last weekend following the death of John Harmon, who worked for Crabb at Assembly Hall for 26 years. Harmon passed away suddenly at age 66.

"It all became crystal clear to me last weekend after John Harmon passed away,'' Crabb said Monday during a lengthy interview. "John was 66 years old and had worked for me for 26 years, and his family asked me to be the master of ceremonies of sorts, an officiant, if you will after he had passed.

"I heard so many people, his family and his dear friends, say all weekend long about how much John was looking forward to retirement, and to spending time with his kids and grandkids. That all really got me thinking. It was hard, but I sat down with (athletics director) Scott Dolson and Steve Harper — Indiana's deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer — and we worked out the details of my retirement. I do have a day job, and I've loved that too for 32 years, so there was a lot to tie up. It's just time. I've been blessed to do a job I loved for 45 years, but it's time to go. We talked about the end of the season, but after last weekend, I just feel like it's the right time to make a clean break.''

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/indiana-basketball-chuck-crabb-leaves-assembly-hall-with-45-years-wonderful-memories

Good for him. 

Shame that with all the streaming technology out there that something couldn’t be rigged up for him to at least do the starting lineups remotely…because you know he’ll be watching.