Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Watching Purdue vs UM and seeing Dickerson hitting a 15 foot shot and Williams hitting a 3 shows TJD what he needs to work on.

He's surely known this for some time.  It hasn't happened.  My guess is it's not going to happen.  He passed up a wide open 17' shot today.  He's one dimensional.

3 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

He's surely known this for some time.  It hasn't happened.  My guess is it's not going to happen.  He passed up a wide open 17' shot today.  He's one dimensional.

I mean, his shot has a hitch in it and he struggles from 15 feet with no one guarding him. I’d agree that it ain’t going to suddenly happen. 

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would never have Durr and TJD on the court at the same time.  You would totally clog up the lane.  That is why Painter Nevers uses both of his big guys at the same time.

That’s not why Painter does that. They are both true 5s. Yde the truest you can get. Plus he has other players to get into the rotation at 4. Plus, again, who cares what Painter does. :)

Talking about IU and Durr has earned his minutes. Pair him up with TJD and see what happens. It will not clog the lane if played like we do now. TJD needs some space to work if he’s not the biggest on the court 

A turning point:

when Race got post position on Williams and couldn’t convert.  

KL first half kinda killed momentum 

really need Rob healthy 

why did XJ sit last 5?  I saw him and Frazier talking to refs while teammates were huddled at FT lane 

honestly don’t know why Kopp plays over Galloway 

Totally disagree with playing TJD and Durr together.  IU is at its best when Race is on the floor and playing well.  When he has to sit, Geronimo normally gives us more with his energy off the bench than what Durr provides.  There are exceptions to that rule, like against Kofi and Edey, but those are just that....exceptions.  I see no value in playing Durr more if it requires taking minutes from Race or Geronimo.

• Like 4

Just now, Purdue7 said:

why did XJ sit last 5?

It was a long shot to win with XJ, but I thought the switch to Lander was too early.  I would have been okay with it at 3 minutes to go if the score was similar.  But, doing it at 5 was the ultimate white flag.  And, it's not like X was playing out of control.  He was probably our best player today.  

One other thing and it goes both ways. Stewart, Kopp, and whoever our 3 guys are were brought in to shoot/make 3's. Coach said it earlier this year it's his job to find the best spots for them to be in to shoot them. All I know is it's February and neither have been consistently making 3's....they almost seem more comfortable with 12-15 jumper.

Nothing wrong with that I guess but as we saw today the difference was 3 pointers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

That’s not why Painter does that. They are both true 5s. Yde the truest you can get. Plus he has other players to get into the rotation at 4. Plus, again, who cares what Painter does. :)

Talking about IU and Durr has earned his minutes. Pair him up with TJD and see what happens. It will not clog the lane if played like we do now. TJD needs some space to work if he’s not the biggest on the court 

That is the worst idea I have heard because that would be a brutal offensive team.  Also better watch the language because that is not tolerated on this board.

I know scholarships are tight and trust me this post is more about the past 5-6 years vs the first 90 days on the job for Coach Woodson. 

I like everything I'm seeing from this year, recruiting, etc...for the first year on a rebuild. One thing this fan is wanting is 1 pure shooter every class. No more everything else is great and occasionally shoots well. I need a shooter. CJ Gunn seems to fit that mold. Hit another game winner 3 today. 

• Like 7

I haven’t watched yet, but don’t feel really any different about this team. We still should win 5ish games the rest of the way and finish up .500 in conference. We still look to be around a 7 or so seed.

We lost to a really talented, veteran team that seems to be coming together at the right time and on a mission.

Beat Northwestern and we are right back on track. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I haven’t watched yet, but don’t feel really any different about this team. We still should win 5ish games the rest of the way and finish up .500 in conference. We still look to be around a 7 or so seed.

We lost to a really talented, veteran team that seems to be coming together at the right time and on a mission.

Beat Northwestern and we are right back on track. 

hey buddy.  hoping you're right and i'm wrong!  i feel like you went kind of aggressive on me for thinking we might only win 4 of 9?  now you say 5ish?  all good.  i hope you are right as always!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey buddy.  hoping you're right and i'm wrong!  i feel like you went kind of aggressive on me for thinking we might only win 4 of 9?  now you say 5ish?  all good.  i hope you are right as always!

I literally asked you a one sentence question, not sure that’s aggressive.

But yeah, 5ish when I said a floor of 5 and ceiling of 7 isn’t really a change on my end. 

• Like 1

IMO….. tale of the tape-

- defense let us down, allowing for 10 made Illini 3’s….

- TJD getting in early foul trouble….

- (Gulp, this is the only time I will ever compliment Kofi)……He did anything and everything he wanted to do against Trayce.

-because of Kofi, Trayce was non-existent down low nor was he a able to dish the ball out to open wings behind the 3pt line.

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I agree that the 2 Grandison 3s were a turning point, but I also thought XJ trying to get under Frazier's skin and drawing that push foul hurt us more than it helped...I thought XJ had played him fairly evenly until then...after that, it was no contest...

Why was that foul not looked at as I thought it was a shot to the face but could not tell from the angle

• Like 1

Just got done watching. Quick thoughts on the game. 

- Illinois is really good (duh)

- Cockburn makes them so difficult. He just so physically dominant and makes you change what you normally do. 

- Cockburn just destroyed TJD

- Outside of his 3-4 minute stretch defending Cockburn in the first half, Race did not have a good night. Made several defensive mistakes

- Beyond Cockburn, shooting was the major difference. I can't wait until we have a team that can shoot, so tired of watching IU teams miss wide open 3's in big spots while the other team drains them

- I thought a big turning point was when Illinois sat Cockburn for about 4 minutes somewhat early in the 2nd half and TJD couldn't take advantage. I think he actually had two turnovers in that stretch, or a turnover and a really bad shot. But we didn't extend our small lead at all during that time 

- I'm not suggesting a lineup change, because I think Galloway is good off the bench, but it is just killing this team that neither Stewart or Kopp give us anything offensively. They have got to figure something out there. 

- Cockburn's presence alone gets Illinois sp many open 3's and they make them, TJD's presence does not provide the same mainly because we can't shoot or won't shoot.  

- Thought Woodson made a mistake not substituting earlier in the 2nd half. We went almost the first full 10 minutes without a sub and our guys ran out of gas down the stretch. 

Overall more disappointed with how we lost as opposed to the loss in general. We need to get XJ some help. I know Phinisee is out, but someone on the perimeter has to step up and create some offense and take/make some shots. 

• Like 9