Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

One other thing and it goes both ways. Stewart, Kopp, and whoever our 3 guys are were brought in to shoot/make 3's. Coach said it earlier this year it's his job to find the best spots for them to be in to shoot them. All I know is it's February and neither have been consistently making 3's....they almost seem more comfortable with 12-15 jumper.

Nothing wrong with that I guess but as we saw today the difference was 3 pointers.

We ran several plays for steward today and he convert in the first half not the second

1 hour ago, IUKane21 said:

That’s not why Painter does that. They are both true 5s. Yde the truest you can get. Plus he has other players to get into the rotation at 4. Plus, again, who cares what Painter does. :)

Talking about IU and Durr has earned his minutes. Pair him up with TJD and see what happens. It will not clog the lane if played like we do now. TJD needs some space to work if he’s not the biggest on the court 

TJD needed to work on a jump shot back in high school or at the very least when he arrived at IU.  He has little to offer the NBA right now.  He's a 6'9" post player who struggles moving his feet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

TJD needed to work on a jump shot back in high school or at the very least when he arrived at IU.  He has little to offer the NBA right now.  He's a 6'9" post player who struggles moving his feet.

The real issue in this game was Cockburn was awful defending the PnR but it didn't matter because TJD and Race couldn't make him pay, Illinois literally didn't defend them at all on the perimeter. Cockburn just sat in the paint with no concern at all that we would make him pay for it.

Our bigs can't shoot and our wings don't really shoot. 

Illinois almost made as many 3's as we took. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Oh, and @SawatchHoosieris not allowed to start game threads anymore.  IU loses and game thread privileges should be revoked.  :D

I was thinking the same thing on my run just now.

I @SawatchHoosier would like to issue a formal apology to the entire Hoosier Sports Nation family. I started the game thread without understanding the responsibility I was undertaking. I have let myself, my family, the dumb dogs I own and Hoosier Nation down. What I did was one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever performed. At no point in my rambling, incoherent response, was I even close to anything that could be considered a game thread. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having listened to it. I am awarded no points, and may God have mercy on my soul

tumblr_lpyw2pNhaZ1r0w4bgo1_500.jpg

Edited by SawatchHoosier
  • Haha 3

Also, the officiating was absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure that the Big Ten even cares, if they do I'm not sure what they do about it, but the officiating is just god awful. 

So inconsistent from moment-to-moment, missing clearly easy calls, falling for ridiculous flops, letting guys just hammer each other one moment and then calling just silly touch fouls the next moment. 

It's a huge problem and I can't imagine having to play through how awful and inconsistent they are. 

• Like 6

Just now, BGleas said:

Also, the officiating was absolutely atrocious. I'm not sure that the Big Ten even cares, if they do I'm not sure what they do about, but the officiating is just god awful. 

So inconsistent from moment-to-moment, missing clearly easy calls, falling for ridiculous flops, letting guys just hammer each other one moment and then calling just silly touch fouls the next moment. 

It's a huge problem and I can't imagine having to play through how awful and inconsistent they are. 

Right. From the part of the game I’ve watched thus far, that’s a statement that applies both ways.

The sequence were Curbello got Xavier’ed (tripped with no foul) then the called a flagrant on Illinois was terrible. But there were plenty of other examples the other way. The only consistent part of B1G officiating is how consistently terrible it is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Right. From the part of the game I’ve watched thus far, that’s a statement that applies both ways.

The sequence were Curbello got Xavier’ed (tripped with no foul) then the called a flagrant on Illinois was terrible. But there were plenty of other examples the other way. The only consistent part of B1G officiating is how consistently terrible it is. 

Absolutely! They were just awful. Its wasn't necessarily in any one teams direction, the officiating is just so, so bad in this conference. 

• Like 2

Had some errands and missed the game. Expected TJD to foul out in five minutes and for them to rain threes on us. Looks pretty close to what happened.

I know we have only lost twice at home this year, but I am so sick of losing at home and not imposing our will on teams. We are better, but not there yet. I hope he runs them until they puke tonight. 

I was planning on watching the game on DVR tonight, but think I’ll do some work on my bike instead. Picked up my new wheels at my shop in Bed-Stuy this afternoon, and would rather do something fun than torture myself watching a loss to Illinois.

On the bright side, we haven’t lost two games in a row this season, so will hopefully rebound next game. 

29 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

If Miller’s gonna play meaningful minutes like he does….He had O points and didn’t even take a shot! He HAS to score some points, better yet hit 3s….

Yeah...frankly, I can't understand why Coach Woodson plays him as much as he does.  What does he add to either offense or defense??  Okay...he was/is thought of as a shooter, especially from the arc.  Well, that hasn't materialized.  I would be using Galloway and Bates over Kopp.  Yeah, he has more experience, but so what.  IU is so limited already on offense that I can't see how using the younger guys more can hurt.  

I have been thinking about this for some time now…. I know Trayce will play in the NBA, the question is when. 
Dale Davis was one of my favorite players for the Pacers besides the obvious, Reggie Miller! I loved how Dale handled himself. He wasn’t flashy,…. but he, along with Antonio Davis were a force down low back in the day.

Trayce is 6’ 9” and 245 lbs. He HAS to continue to get bigger and stronger to play meaningful minutes in the NBA. 
His dad, Dale was 6’ 11” and 252 lbs at his peak with the Pacers.

Look at Dale, just 2” taller and only 7 lbs heavier than Trayce. E93375E5-2B12-479A-A48A-17E955CF6B31.jpeg.806622baea410eb2a275dfcfa380a4af.jpeg4B087A06-D2DF-4E8B-9DC7-FD8AD9EB8050.thumb.jpeg.f8215c0f7affce1260ff74a38756548c.jpeg

Big Fella swatting Shaq. 

Just a comment in general. Stepped away for a bit after the game to do some errands. People are banging on TJD pretty hard. He was taken out of the game in the first 5. Completely out of the flow and we tried to get him going by maybe forcing it to him in second. Just a bad night.

I don't see anything to gain by saying how bad he is and saying no way he should leave for the NBA. It's pretty clear he's gone no matter what based on our recruiting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That is the worst idea I have heard because that would be a brutal offensive team.  Also better watch the language because that is not tolerated on this board.

Whatever happens cannot continue to keep Kopp and Stewart In at the same time. I really wish Kopp was better

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I got to Indy airport parking, jumped on the bus to a couple wearing IU gear.  I said oh man tough loss earlier.  The gentleman says yes it was.  We chatted, told them the boys names.  We kept chatting and I said, "sir, what's your name, you have a really familiar face."  "Scott Dolson."  I giggled and said, "that would explain it." He asked me how I felt about the direction of the program and I said I was very happy and thought we were heading the right direction.  He said what about football.  I said I was more than willing to be a huge fan and felt great about Tom Allen and shared the story about a colleague of mine that played high school ball for him that truly loves him.  We chatted about how tough it is to win in the B1G.  They wished us well and went our ways.  I then saw Mrs  Dolson walking laps in the terminal as we waited, I was holding the baby, she smiled real big and waved.

Did you ask him why Gallo isn’t starting???? 

….jk 

Thanks for sharing. 

• Haha 3

IU is more on the level of the third tier teams (Michigan and others) than the top tier.  That said, win two more games and they will make the tournament most likely but that's going to be a tall order imo.

Random thoughts......TJD struggles against legit post players his size and or bigger.  The team plays better without him on the floor, which is odd.  Several players just seemed flat, like others have mentioned.  Team needs more size and shooters like I need Scarlett Johansson.  It is what it is, wasn't expecting much this season anyhow.

2 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

IU is more on the level of the third tier teams (Michigan and others) than the top tier.  That said, win two more games and they will make the tournament most likely but that's going to be a tall order imo.

Random thoughts......TJD struggles against legit post players his size and or bigger.  The team plays better without him on the floor, which is odd.  Several players just seemed flat, like others have mentioned.  Team needs more size and shooters like I need Scarlett Johansson.  It is what it is, wasn't expecting much this season anyhow.

You think winning two more games is a tall order? So you think we go 1-8 over our last 9 games (including today)?

• Like 5

I am wondering after TJD is gone how much different our offense might look.  Right now when your best player is a low post player with no outside shot you have to run it through the post. I think in the future that Woodson probably wants to a more free flowing offense and not have a true low post player.  You see games where the other players just stand around waiting to see what he is going to do.  I see teams like Baylor and Villanova winning without a real low post threat and play 4 guards and wing players.  Those teams big guys are used to set screens and go to the offensive boards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

The real issue in this game was Cockburn was awful defending the PnR but it didn't matter because TJD and Race couldn't make him pay, Illinois literally didn't defend them at all on the perimeter. Cockburn just sat in the paint with no concern at all that we would make him pay for it.

Our bigs can't shoot and our wings don't really shoot. 

Illinois almost made as many 3's as we took. 

They hit 10, while we only hit 3.  That's a 21 point margin.

This team is so much better this year, but shooting is still our biggest weakness.  We just aren't consistent enough from three to win, or even be in games where the other team shoots 10+ at 40% or greater.  

• Like 6