Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

37 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I got to Indy airport parking, jumped on the bus to a couple wearing IU gear.  I said oh man tough loss earlier.  The gentleman says yes it was.  We chatted, told them the boys names.  We kept chatting and I said, "sir, what's your name, you have a really familiar face."  "Scott Dolson."  I giggled and said, "that would explain it." He asked me how I felt about the direction of the program and I said I was very happy and thought we were heading the right direction.  He said what about football.  I said I was more than willing to be a huge fan and felt great about Tom Allen and shared the story about a colleague of mine that played high school ball for him that truly loves him.  We chatted about how tough it is to win in the B1G.  They wished us well and went our ways.  I then saw Mrs  Dolson walking laps in the terminal as we waited, I was holding the baby, she smiled real big and waved.

Great story, thanks for passing it on.

We would all do well to remember that these are real people with lives outside of basketball and sports. 

• Like 8

For me the two guys I hope comes back next year are Race and XJ.  I know TJD is our most talented player but he really slows our offense down. He also has no real offensive moves but backing his man down.  His spin move is pretty good but he had no turn around game and never heard of a shot fake.  I hope in the future a guy like Banks who is around 6'8 is our 4 and can spread the floor. Having wings like JHS, Bates and Newton could be a pretty good offensive team.  Hopefully Cupp can be the true PG we really need.  What we need to find for the future is a 6'11 big man who is a great time protector and defender.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

All of the particulars of the game aside, it's just disappointing that this was our shot...had we won today, we would have been 1 game back and right in the thick of it...

Yep. Barring injury it's all about securing and seeding from here on out. Boy we missed Rob P today too. In the middle of our toughest stretch. Not worried one bit about tourney. We are a tourney team and like Hummel said on show today....have to remember most of the country doesn't have the bigs or players our conference has.

I watch teams like Iowa St, Tennessee, LSU,etc....all ranked and they just aren't that good. Get in and see what happens.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I literally asked you a one sentence question, not sure that’s aggressive.

But yeah, 5ish when I said a floor of 5 and ceiling of 7 isn’t really a change on my end. 

Very possible we go 3-6. Not sure why you’re so confident we’re beating Nwestern on the road…. But maybe they’ll surprise me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Very possible we go 3-6. Not sure why you’re so confident we’re beating Nwestern on the road…. But maybe they’ll surprise me. 

With that said, maybe we will …. just looked and realized they are 1-6 at home in the Big. They’ve won 3 games on the road surprisingly. But I’m not counting on it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

We did miss RP in this one. A second lock-down defender on the perimeter would have made it closer.

That being said, they just wore us out and I do not think much changes that.

On defense, we need two Race Thompsons

I did not watch the game, however, my son did. He said it seemed like the team was gassed. What gets me though is, IU had a week off and they're tired??

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Barring injury it's all about securing and seeding from here on out. Boy we missed Rob P today too. In the middle of our toughest stretch. Not worried one bit about tourney. We are a tourney team and like Hummel said on show today....have to remember most of the country doesn't have the bigs or players our conference has.

I watch teams like Iowa St, Tennessee, LSU,etc....all ranked and they just aren't that good. Get in and see what happens.

Anybody feel confident Rob comes back this season??

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

I did not watch the game, however, my son did. He said it seemed like the team was gassed. What gets me though is, IU had a week off and they're tired??

Yeah, but we didn't sub the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, and Race and XJ in particular were working their tails off and playing a lot of minutes. 

Race was definitely gassed and I think XJ was too. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

With that said, maybe we will …. just looked and realized they are 1-6 at home in the Big. They’ve won 3 games on the road surprisingly. But I’m not counting on it. 

We have responded really well after all of our loses this year and NU can’t beat us if we play our best game. I’m more confident in that game because of how the last 12 minutes of this played out than I’d have probably been otherwise.

If I were to guess, it’ll be a relatively close game that we will lead/control the entire way. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, but we didn't sub the first 10 minutes of the 2nd half, and Race and XJ in particular were working their tails off and playing a lot of minutes. 

Race was definitely gassed and I think XJ was too. 

Yeah, I thought Coach Woody waited a little long to start subbing in the 2nd...

And as far as missing Rob goes, XJ was indeed working his tail off, but Coach Woodson couldn't sub Lander in for him even midway through the second because Khristian couldn't handle either Frazier or Plummer...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Have you watched many IU games??  Nothing is a sure thing...

I have watched everyone of them and saw we dominated Neb. and Maryland on the road.  The only teams we got beat badly was against a great big man and NW doesn't have one.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yeah, I thought Coach Woody waited a little long to start subbing in the 2nd...

And as far as missing Rob goes, XJ was indeed working his tail off, but Coach Woodson couldn't sub Lander in for him even midway through the second because Khristian couldn't handle either Frazier or Plummer...

Agree, we really missed Phinisee today and XJ ran out of gas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering after TJD is gone how much different our offense might look.  Right now when your best player is a low post player with no outside shot you have to run it through the post. I think in the future that Woodson probably wants to a more free flowing offense and not have a true low post player.  You see games where the other players just stand around waiting to see what he is going to do.  I see teams like Baylor and Villanova winning without a real low post threat and play 4 guards and wing players.  Those teams big guys are used to set screens and go to the offensive boards.

Just don't watch today's Baylor game. Yikes.

I agree with this 100%. Give me a solid big to rebound and defend the rim with an offense who's primary options are the guards and wings. I don't want to have to bank on my big getting me 18 and 10 in order to win.

• Like 1