Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

5 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Woodson just said on his post game interview with Don, “That’s what a 5th year, seasoned veteran can do for a team. Unless Trayce becomes a monster from here on out and dominates his position…..he’s not ready for the NBA next year. 

I don’t like this at all. All due respect to CMW, its your job to put him in a situation to succeed. 

Again, he’s a 4 if he gets to the league, yet you pair him against NBA centers such as Yde and Cockburn, then say that shit. Put him at his position I’d argue, then watch him dominate. 

why don't we ever play Durr with TJD?  Let TJD go to work on someone his own size or, if they cross-match Kofi back onto TJD, Durr will have someone way too small for him.  On defense, same thing - and it keeps TJD out of foul trouble.

Woody is a smart guy who has been in this game longer than I've been alive, so I'm sure there is a reason.

• Like 3

Just now, HoosierFaithful said:

why don't we ever play Durr with TJD?  Let TJD go to work on someone his own size or, if they cross-match Kofi back onto TJD, Durr will have someone way too small for him.  On defense, same thing - and it keeps TJD out of foul trouble.

Woody is a smart guy who has been in this game longer than I've been alive, so I'm sure there is a reason.

Who is to say Illinois will guard that way?  It is in Illinois benefit to have Kofi guard a guy who doesn't shoot more than 5' from the basket.  

4 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Excellent point. Some of us said that in the game thread. It’s not a permanent switch or anything, just like putting in a “jumbo package” when you are at the 2 yard line. Makes sense to me. 

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Against the true bigs such as Yde and Cockburn, it’s beyond a legit question as this point. Almost comical if we don’t come out that way leading up and into the Mackey game

We’ll that was disappointing because I really thought we would win today, but Illinois was the better team. We have a lot of work to do, but we competed the entire game and gave it our best shot. It just wasn’t good enough. We’ll bounce back and still finish in the upper half of the B10, which will be a big improvement considering where we’ve been the past few years. Anyway, it’s fun to watch and have hope again that we’ll win games like this rather than dreading the outcome.

Just went to look at the stats and mostly everything was real close but one stat.  They hit 10 3's and we hit 3. They out rebounded is by ,1 but we had 5 more offensive rebounds.  We had 10 turnovers and they had 8.  They hit 23 total shots and we hit 20.  They outscored is 18-14 from the line.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just went to look at the stats and mostly everything was real close but one stat.  They hit 10 3's and we hit 3. They out rebounded is by ,1 but we had 5 more offensive rebounds.  We had 10 turnovers and they had 8.  They hit 23 total shots and we hit 20.  They outscored is 18-14 from the line.

Not noted was TJD’s 6. Get him to average and the final score is at least closer. 

never thought I’d say this and not saying this was the reason, but miss Rob

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty even statistically, however, they hit their 3s and we did not

• Like 1

How were the high school rankings so far off on Lander? The ranking has actually done him a disservice because we all had much higher expectations than what we’ve seen. Without Phinisee we’re thin at the guard position. What happens next year? It seems certain we have to hit the portal for a guard. To think, Lander was actually rated as the #1 guard in his class. I’m not sure he was a top 500 guard in his class. I’m also starting to worry about Bates. He had a couple nice moments today, but so far he’s not a difference maker. Don’t get me wrong, I think Bates has a great opportunity to be good, but again, I think his 5 star ranking may have been a bit too much. Yes, he’s a freshman, but far more often than not, 5 star freshman are difference makers for a team.  Bates is not.

Imagine if Bates and Lander were playing like 5 stars? Our ceiling would be much higher. One thing for sure after these last couple recruiting cycles…recruiting rankings and even 5 star rankings can be way off.  Let’s hope JHS puts an end to what seems like a drought of “5 star players being overrated” and in Lander’s case vastly overrated.  

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

Not noted was TJD’s 6. Get him to average and the final score is at least closer. 

never thought I’d say this and not saying this was the reason, but miss Rob

To me what is holding us back is our wing players.  I think we matchup at the 1,4,5 position but we are behind at the 2 and 3 spots.  I expected a lot more from Kopp and Bates

Edited by IU Scott