Illinois Post game thread

ButlerHoosier

As I mentioned in the pre-game the match up that worried me most was Williams on Thompson and Da'Monte did a really good job there. TJD taking himself out with a silly foul (and Woodson benching him for the half) seemed significant at the time but Illinois really didn't take advantage and Durr did a nice job filling in. And can't blame your coach for leaving TJD on the bench given the way thing went, but sometimes when a player sits that long he never gets back into the flow. Having said that, not sure it would have made a difference as he just can't seem to do much against Kofi.

Underwood mentioned that Bo told him they missed the tripping call. Not sure if he said the same to Wooson or not on the one they missed later?

Grandison started off the game poorly and only had 6 points but those might have been the biggest 6 of the game. 

Also I guess your PG was talking a lot of trash to the Illini bench, maybe not a good move? Frazier loves that stuff and he's pretty good at it himself. 😁

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceDouglas said:

As I mentioned in the pre-game the match up that worried me most was Williams on Thompson and Da'Monte did a really good job there. TJD taking himself out with a silly foul (and Woodson benching him for the half) seemed significant at the time but Illinois really didn't take advantage and Durr did a nice job filling in. And can't blame your coach for leaving TJD on the bench given the way thing went, but sometimes when a player sits that long he never gets back into the flow. Having said that, not sure it would have made a difference as he just can't seem to do much against Kofi.

Underwood mentioned that Bo told him they missed the tripping call. Not sure if he said the same to Wooson or not on the one they missed later?

Grandison started off the game poorly and only had 6 points but those might have been the biggest 6 of the game. 

Also I guess your PG was talking a lot of trash to the Illini bench, maybe not a good move? Frazier loves that stuff and he's pretty good at it himself. 😁

Congrats on the win.  You guys were impressive.  I agree that stretch with those two Granderson threes after the Stewart miss was the key moment.  IU went into a total funk after that and then started pressing and it just fell apart.

• Like 3

As is my custom, I didn't watch and feel no loss at doing so even though I'm in my 2nd COVID quarantine and am looking for things to do.😂

I DID watch Woody's postgame on the recommendation of a friend and was glad I did.  Woody is the reason I think IU breaks this maddening pattern and I see a little Bob Knight in him when he answered the questions about composure and talked about benching the starters around the six minute mark.  He also (fairly) called out a couple of his stars, simply saying that Trayce didn't play well and X didn't initiate anything that Woody didn't call from the bench...very much questioned his leadership.  If X was talking trash at the Illinois bench, that was stupid.  Save your trash talk for when you've put the game away.

I hope Trayce comes back.  He's a great college player, but he's still got a lot of work to prove that he can be successful at the next level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

When we have a couple of years to build a foundation and get those recruiting connections established I think we'll be a consistent top 10 team. This year we have a lot to be happy about. 

I thought XJ played a tremendous game and think he's putting it together. Bates showed some promise and could end the season strong. 10 years ago Cockburn would be a top 3 pick in the draft. 

Edited by ba43056
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

As is my custom, I didn't watch and feel no loss at doing so even though I'm in my 2nd COVID quarantine and am looking for things to do.😂

I DID watch Woody's postgame on the recommendation of a friend and was glad I did.  Woody is the reason I think IU breaks this maddening pattern and I see a little Bob Knight in him when he answered the questions about composure and talked about benching the starters around the six minute mark.  He also (fairly) called out a couple of his stars, simply saying that Trayce didn't play well and X didn't initiate anything that Woody didn't call from the bench...very much questioned his leadership.  If X was talking trash at the Illinois bench, that was stupid.  Save your trash talk for when you've put the game away.

I hope Trayce comes back.  He's a great college player, but he's still got a lot of work to prove that he can be successful at the next level.

He can be a great college player if he can hit a jump shot.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Not saying XJ engaging with the Illinois bench is smart or a good thing, but I think I saw on Twitter (might have been BTB, can't remember) that the Illinois assistant coaches were trash talking our players during the game. 

Who knows who started it, but definitely unbecoming of coaches to be engaging with opposing players like that. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not saying XJ engaging with the Illinois bench is smart or a good thing, but I think I saw on Twitter (might have been BTB, can't remember) that the Illinois assistant coaches were trash talking our players during the game. 

Who knows who started it, but definitely unbecoming of coaches to be engaging with opposing players like that. 

Yeah, that would be even dumber since coaches are supposed to be the adults in the room.

Not rival level like Turdue, but I'm looking forward to seeing IU regularly denying coach Underwear his game bonuses.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Muddy River said:

Can anyone tell me another word in the English language where the "ck" is silent?

Ye Olde Fighting Co's? 

Ye Olde Fighting CocksIMAGE SOURCE,YE OLDE FIGHTING COCKS
Image caption,
Ye Olde Fighting Cocks in St Albans has survived wars and plagues but the coronavirus pandemic brought new challenges

A pub reputed to be the oldest in England has closed after its licensee's firm went into administration.

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

My sentiments exactly as to how I see Trayce....

21 hours ago, ba43056 said:

When we have a couple of years to build a foundation and get those recruiting connections established I think we'll be a consistent top 10 team. This year we have a lot to be happy about. 

I though XJ played a tremendous game and think he's putting it together. Bates showed some promise and could end the season strong. 10 years ago Cockburn would be a top 3 pick in the draft. 

Cockburn may very well be the B1G POTY this year.....

A friend of mine works in Illinois and his boss is a big UI fan. They had been going back and forth all week and all in good fun. After the win all day Sat and Sun I guess his boss was becoming quite annoying and taking it maybe a step too far. He told me that he emailed his boss the following.

Hey Dickhead,

I get it you won and we lose. You kicked our butts Kofi dominated TJD. I get it so now lets get past this and agree that we both hate Purdue.

PS before you get too butt hurt just remember the CK is silent 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Isn't out of the question.

Only if Woodson kicks these 5 guys out of the program. Obviously in the initial exchange nobody could envision 5 guys being suspended. 

If this ends up a 1-game thing then I would be absolutely stunned if we only win 1-2 more games. 

• Like 1