New Division 1 School....

University of Southern Indiana trustees met today to determine whether USI would go D1. It was approved.

Reactions have been mixed. Divsion1 status is sometimes not all it's cracked up to be, just ask the E'ville Purple Aces. They have a lousy B'Ball record year in and year out. They can't bring fans to the stands. I guess is UE vs. USI will begin a new rivalry??

Stay tuned....

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

University of Southern Indiana trustees met today to determine whether USI would go D1. It was approved.

Reactions have been mixed. Divsion1 status is sometimes not all it's cracked up to be, just ask the E'ville Purple Aces. They have a lousy B'Ball record year in and year out. They can't bring fans to the stands. I guess is UE vs. USI will begin a new rivalry??

Stay tuned....

😁😁😁😁😁

32 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

U of E could get Coach K and it still wouldn't make a difference. Evansville being a small private school, simply can't compete with the larger state schools.

IMO, they should drop down to Div. 2.....

I’ve heard rumors of them dropping to D3 if it’s way worse that what we already know

9 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

U of E could get Coach K and it still wouldn't make a difference. Evansville being a small private school, simply can't compete with the larger state schools.

IMO, they should drop down to Div. 2.....

If Valpo can compete at the D1 level then so can Evansville.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can't imagine a D1 school wanting to give up the revenue they get from being a D1 program. Unfortunately, these are often more so a business decision then a competitive decision. 

What would be the advantages of going down to DII?  Serious question.

19 minutes ago, rico said:

What would be the advantages of going down to DII?  Serious question.

Easy, people want to support a winner. If you go to an Aces game, it's embarrassing to a stadium 3/4 empty. If you're not filling the stands, the school has to be losing money. I'm old enough to remember the Arad McCutchan days and the stadium would always be full of fans, and the school was not Dl then.

15 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I do too, UE is a dumpster fire and it sounds like it’s going to get even worse. Lickliter is rumored to be fired after their next game, whenever that is.

I've honestly always thought Crean would do well there.  He's going to need a new job soon and if he wants to keep coaching that's as good as he's going to do. 

5 hours ago, rico said:

If Valpo can compete at the D1 level then so can Evansville.

I believe Valpo has double the student enrollment of Evansville and has a fairly good support system for their hoops program. Many of their alumni are from Chicagoland area and will attend games/donate money etc. I received my graduate degree from Valpo and went to a handful of games, and they generally get decent crowds. I am not familiar with the support Evansville receives, but it sounds like they don't have the support system Valpo does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I believe Valpo has double the student enrollment of Evansville and has a fairly good support system for their hoops program. Many of their alumni are from Chicagoland area and will attend games/donate money etc. I received my graduate degree from Valpo and went to a handful of games, and they generally get decent crowds. I am not familiar with the support Evansville receives, but it sounds like they don't have the support system Valpo does.

So I am taking it you feel Evansville ain't big enough(enrollment wise) to play DI basketball?

Does this mean another new arena in Evansville? I went to USI when it was ISUE.  What kind of facility do they now have.   I've been gone for so long and other than watching the Pearl led title games, don't know much about what is going on there.

Evansville did pretty good at least through the 90s.  Even a Sweet 16.  Don't know if USI can match that.  I guess they have their 1 DIV 2 title vs Evansville's 5.  I realize there is a lot of history for the Aces to draw from but USI in the Sweet 16?   Never say never as Tom Brady says.