Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

2 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

I’m not sure why you can’t show mercy and forgiveness and still hold young men accountable and responsible for their actions. Those aren’t mutually exclusive. 

CMW’s job isn’t just to get these guys to win games - it’s also to teach them how to be productive members of society, and if they broke the rules or did something wrong, that there are consequences.

Let’s also not forget that in a time when some are drowning in student loan debt, these guys are getting a free education at a good school, and have the opportunity to earn money with the NIL. So, in some ways, it’s a job. Dunno about the rest of you, but if i show up late to my job smelling of weed, there are consequences. 

in other words, welcome to the real world, fellas. 

On the flip side if you're going with the job comparison, I travel for work regularly and would tell my employer to kick rocks for telling me what to do on my own time in the evening/night.

I understand there was a curfew, but the fact that there was a curfew completely breaks the analogy of this being an employer. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think many are jumping to conclusions. They said it’s a curfew violation. Weed was not mentioned; the only reason it’s part of the conversation is because of a rumor on another board. It was actually reported that this was not drug related. Yet, the thread was completely derailed into this narrative.

I saw the rumor that Romeo was sleeping with Green’s girlfriend was brought up. Green was asked about that on a podcast and he laughed about it because it never happened. 

Message boards aren’t typically good about handling rumors. 

I think it's fair to point out that some posters on here that often have credible, or even first-hand, information are of the belief that this is, or very well could be, more than just a curfew violation.

We'll have more info when we see who suits up next game.  You cant say a player who smells of weed is suspended for weed until a formal drug test is completed (or the drug is found on his possession.  But, you can say a player who missed curfew was suspended for missing curfew.

Add to it the report that 2 may have been curfew only while 3 were curfew and another offense.  You sure as heck cant make a blanket statement that it's a drug related suspension when that may not be true for 2 of them.

There is more to this.  If nothing else, it's repeat trouble for several of these guys.

39 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely one of those times that i didn't want to be right, but 3-4 wins the rest of the way regardless of the 5 players' fates seems realistic...

Seriously? If you had told all of us we would be suspending 5 players it changes the equation quite a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Galloway showed tonight that he needs all of Kopps minutes. If Kopp is starting next game, I’ll be incredibly disappointed in Woody. How many 1-7 performances do we need to stomach from the guy? That being said, Galloway needs to play with some assemblance of control and composure...hopefully not making him play point forward will help with some of that. Hard to be mad at the 6 guys who got screwed over by the others. How many times is Durr going to be suspended this season for conduct detrimental??? This one is a tough pill to swallow 

I've said this since his first game back from injury. If Kopp an/or Stewart were lockdown defenders then you could live with them being HUGE disappointments offensively. Galloway is a #3 option on offense with the type of intangibles winning teams need. 

My biggest concern and really only concern that I've had with CMW is his line-up management. Enough was enough with that starting group 5 games ago. This suspension may be the reboot we needed. If somehow both Stewart and Kopp are starting ahead of Galloway next game then its an issue. 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Seriously? If you had told all of us we would be suspending 5 players it changes the equation quite a bit. 

Its the miracle we needed to shake up that starting line-up. The only issue I've had with CMW. What was it going to take to make a f'n line-up change. It will be unsettling to see us return back to the same 5 guys. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

We should be willing to give people chances...But there is a limit...

Our society is littered with people who've had multiple chances and never made good on any of them...

There were two murders this year in Indy that shouldn't have happened.  The two murderers was out on probation that shouldn't have been.  See how those second chances worked.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Its the miracle we needed to shake up that starting line-up. The only issue I've had with CMW. What was it going to take to make a f'n line-up change. It will be unsettling to see us return back to the same 5 guys. 

But it wasn't really an issue. Changing the starting lineup would not have altered the W/L record one bit.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know if I were a parent of a recruit and IU or any team that has had problems nlike this I would take them off of my list.  I sure hope Woodson does the right thing and not let this become the norm

Every single college team has players that smoke weed.  Some are smart enough not to do it in season.  Some are not.

What I would be looking for as a parent is how the coach handles it.  You cant be much more impressive than Woodson was last night in the post game presser.

The way he is handling this helps recruiting, not hurt it.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

There were two murders this year in Indy that shouldn't have happened.  The two murderers was out on probation that shouldn't have been.  See how those second chances worked.

Come on Scott...the the divide between murder and a college kid missing a curfew makes the Grand Canyon look like a divot...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I fully expect CMW at some point, maybe at the end of the season, to have a matter of fact 1:1 conversation with several of these players. Is this the right place for them? Do they want to put the team above their own personal interests? Are they willing to follow team rules?

I respect how CMW handled the situation yesterday. I have no doubt he is true to his words that he wants to build a culture at IU in doing things the right way, and in order to do that he has to hold the players accountable despite short term pains. What happened in Chicago sucks, and those five players probably cost IU a valuable win, and hopefully they learn from their selfishness. If not, they can always transfer.

I agree with what others have already mentioned...I applaud the effort and heart of those who played last night. Galloway earned a starter spot in my opinion, and even if CMW decides to keep the "normal" lineup when this thing shakes out, Galloway has to be penciled in as starter next year. He might also be the leader that CMW is looking for in the locker room.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

On the flip side if you're going with the job comparison, I travel for work regularly and would tell my employer to kick rocks for telling me what to do on my own time in the evening/night.

I understand there was a curfew, but the fact that there was a curfew completely breaks the analogy of this being an employer. 

So if you are traveling for work and get a DWI you don't think there would be ramifications.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In one instance just the opposite. Gunn's Mother tweeted out this morning that's why she loves Coach Woodson....builder of men is important to her.

I love this. Good for Gunn and his mom. As a parent, I would feel the same way. I don't think CMW is a sideways talker...he speaks his mind and means what he says, he is most definitely a straight shooter.  In today's world, I can really appreciate that and I think many recruits and families will also. And if they don't appreciate it, they probably won't be a good fit at IU anyway.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In one instance just the opposite. Gunn's Mother tweeted out this morning that's why she loves Coach Woodson....builder of men is important to her.

I agree that how Woodson handles this is the key.  He also needs to bring in kids who is smart enough not to do these stupid things.  If we keep having these problems with kids then it will start to hurt recruiting.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Good point.  We are all adults. Let’s be honest, we don’t care what they are doing off the court.  I’ve never been playing with my kids and stop to think “I wonder what Parker” is doing right now.  Lol.  

My only concern is that they follow the team’s rules, and that they represent the school admirably.  It can really be a “no news is good news” kind of deal.  

A team curfew rule at their age seems reasonable. Lebron or Giannis may not need that rule but a 19 year old in college is still building his identity.  It’s a way of showing them a winning culture and the best way to perform optimally.  At age 25, they might be past that.  

Several comment

-I’ve said this before. These are not kids making “youthful “ mistakes. These are young men, and as such, need to be held accountable. To what degree depends on the transgression as well as CMW’’s judgement. Based on the state of the program, I don’t believe anyone should be shown the door yet, but I do believe second offenders should be on a short leash/ last chance status.

-I believe that it is not a coincidence that the three older players, maybe the one’s who most influenced these poor decisions, are all transfers from other programs and have not grown up in the IU culture. No clue what the bar level was at their previous schools, but I have to believe that it’s not a coincidence. 

- The problem may permeate the program more than just these 5. Hopefully, those issues can and will be handled internally. The last thing a new coaching staff needs is dealing with a media out looking for a “story “, or a bunch of fans and forum posters out with fire and pitchforks.

- Leadership on the team has been an issue, and I think last night was the first bit of evidence that we have a leader emerging. Trey Galloway can, and I believe will become that person.  I only was able to watch the first half, but what I saw was him being aggressive on the court, making plays, creating for himself. He did struggle with turnovers but he was put in a position he should’ve have been. As a coach’s kid, I believe he has the knowledge, training and discipline to assume a leadership role. His personality lends itself to being the guy who gets on his teammates when the need arises.

No one felt that this year was going to be easy. Maybe didn’t expect yesterday, but as someone else said, this is not without precedent. I feel completely confident that this staff will make the best decisions to move the program in the direction it needs to be headed 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t get what you’re trying to do with this post other than have a temper tantrum. 

First.  No need to take a shot at Kev’s age.  Younger generations always think they invented being cool.  I’ve talked to people who went to school in the 60s and 70s.  Invariably, they will say, “I don’t know a single person who didn’t smoke pot.”   This is not a new thing where you have to label him as uncool as an old man. 

Second.  No one is debating weed vs alcohol. I would agree that in our society we give alcohol a total free pass yet it can be destructive.  But on this topic,  I don’t care.  Nobody cares.  

Yep.  If they rolled in late from curfew, drunk as a skunk, the day before a game, they would have gotten the same punishment.  The punishment is more about the lack of concern for the team then it is the substance.  Their team was in the middle of the Big Ten battle, upper half of the league, battling for a place in the tournament and seeding and getting high the night before a game took precedence over all the hard work that the TEAM had done to get them in that position.  Not only that, of the guys suspended, there are a few where this was at least the second time where they have let partying interfere with the team's goals.

I was there when Knight was.  There were guys who partied.  I specifically handed a bottle of vodka and watched a player do shots out of it after a big win.  AFTER a big win...with no games for a few more days.  I cut some slack to the guys because they are young adults experiencing the same things on campus as other students.  However, they have to realize that they have some responsibilities that are different from other students as well.  Time and place.  Learn it.  If you can't, then big time athletic programs are not for you.  

• Like 8