Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I know previous violations have been super-secret, but from where I sit this is punishment #2 for at least Stewart, Durr, and likely Lander.  Bates, as well, missed a game earlier that did not seem to fit with the timing of the family issue.  When guys screw up multiple times in the same season, if I'm coach, I might be considering whether some of these guys are welcome back.  

Galloway needs to be taking more of Stewarts minutes and Leal needs to be taking some of Bates. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Kind of telling that Duncomb couldn't see the floor tonight.  If he can't play tonight it shows he is not developing very fast.

Well part of that is because of who he is behind at his position. We don’t want 4 post players on the court at the same time. But yes you’re correct it doesn’t seem that he has developed as quickly as some of us would have liked.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I know previous violations have been super-secret, but from where I sit this is punishment #2 for at least Stewart, Durr, and likely Lander.  Bates, as well, missed a game earlier that did not seem to fit with the timing of the family issue.  When guys screw up multiple times in the same season, if I'm coach, I might be considering whether some of these guys are welcome back.  

I was wondering how many suspensions does a guy get before it's no longer a suspension?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm disappointed in a lot tonight, mostly the five who got suspended and a lot of the reactions I'm seeing.

TJD absolutely needed to be better, no doubt about it. But the guys who played tonight left everything they had on the floor and I'm proud of them for that. I'm proud of Woody for making a really hard decision. I'm confident that this program and probably even this 2022 version of the Hoosiers will be better for that type of leadership. 

Agree completely. Outstanding post. Would have been easy to let things slide as coach in a crucial game. He didn’t. Will help in the long run. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Mike Woodson needs to do what he's got to do to build this team.  A couple of recruits and hoping for "development" won't be enough.  

Agree. Mike Woodson is 63 years old, he's assembled an amazing staff when you also factor in Matta and Hill. 

If he's going to get this going, and I'm on his bandwagon, it's going to be because of recruiting (both high school and transfers).

This isn't a slow build, 4 year development thing, IU needs some studs and quick. 

The talk in the game thread about TJD not being an NBA player is telling it means our best player by far isn't an NBA player, which means we really don't have any NBA level talent. 

You bring Woodson and this staff in to recruit studs. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

CMW just said in the PC that he doesn’t know if this will be one game or more. Said he’s going to bring in players that are proud to wear the IU uniform. Good stuff. 

The players are lucky he doesn't have a little more of Coach Knight in him.  I think Knight would have kicked a few of these guys off the team after tonight.  They would be gone, gone or they would be back begging for a spot on the team. 

• Like 1

I credit the guys who played tonight. They made too many mistakes but the effort was there.

If anything I'd ask why they seemed to play at such a quick pace in the first half knowing they had virtually no bench. It seemed like they would want to slow it down and make it more methodical to save something for the second half. Instead, they pushed it up court at about every opportunity.

Edited by Euroclydon

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Incorrect.  he needs Stewart's minutes.  Kopp didn't play well, but he was there for his team.  Stewart not only git himself suspended, he acted like a petulant child on the bench.  

I mean whatever. Kids are sometimes kids. Take your punishment and move on. I’m not writing off half the team for whatever dumb behavior but insignificant rule they broke. Kopp brings nothing of value to this team. Shoots 30% from the field, doesn’t rebound, doesn’t distribute, doesn’t defend. If someone published +/- stats he’d have the worst on the team and it wouldn’t be close 

Edited by Hoosier82

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

Flat out, I appreciate Woody having the balls to do this, and listen to his presser.  He is the right person to restore IU.  No doubt about it.

I got no problem with what he did.  I have a big problem with the idea he had to do it at this time of the year.  This loss is not on the staff and I am giving the guys who played tonight a pass too, this game is on 5 guys who need to figure out what they want out of their time here.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

I appreciate the hard nosed attitude of CMW but is that going to play bad for recruiting with so many players being suspended and missing games.  I am not saying he is wrong for doing it.  But you don't really hear this much from other schools, or maybe i just don't pay that much attention.

The opposite. Top kids want winning environments. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yup! This will either galvanize the team and they'll come together or this will tear the team apart. 

We'll see. 

Yep… It wasn’t anything to see Knight sit his starters and empty his bench without hesitation. When he was pi$$d with poor play and/or player violations, his starters got feel how uncomfortable it was to “ Ride the Pine!”

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Woodson was asked why they were on the bench and dressed, and he said because they're still part of the team. 

He definitely ripped the 5 guys though. 

Also said he doesn't know if this will be just one game. 

Personally I would sit them at least another game. Make them understand this is a team sport and teammates mean everything. I know this could cost us but this team is good enough that if those guys buy in they could make a good run in big ten tournament and be a pest in the big dance. Just my two cents