Northwestern Post Game Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

This is all I have heard most the season is how much marijuana this team does. Some of the names I heard were still on the court tonight. Brings flash backs to the Sampson team.

Not to make light of your sentiment, but how much marijuana this team does is hilarious old man talk. For that, kudos to you!

But I agree, the team should not do so much weed :) But that's easier said than done. Weed is just not stigmatized like it used to be. Most states it's legal in some shape or form. But I do understand some of these guys are underage, it's against school and team rules, and in the state of Indiana, illegal. But weed rules/laws (separate from curfew/ sneaking out) are pretty hypocritical (based on outdated morality) and should be revisited or at least adjusted to parallel rules that prohibit drinking. I doubt they are giving these guys breathalyzer tests. That being said, you don't want members of your team high or drunk all the time, becoming bad influences, or simply bad teammates. Both booze and weed have their time and place(for most), but it's obvious certain members of the team seem to lack the maturity and decision making ability to decide when that time and place is. Not to mention bringing bad attention to themselves, the team, the school, and the new coaching staff. 

But let's see how these guys respond. If they don't, I trust they'll be gone, just like Woody said.

https://comb.io/t2ZLug

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

The walk on got a DWI for being the “designated drunk driver” for the lottery pick. If anything this proves my point. Banchero was smart enough to make someone else break the law so he didn’t have to. “Aiding & Abetting” a DWI? Yea right…Even if that were some nobody schmo like myself in the car, that charge is DOA. Nothing to see here. 

Just for reference: I believe that 7 players were caught smoking weed in Alaska in 78. 3 seldom-used reserves were kicked off the team; 4 others (including Tolbert and Woodson) were given “probation”. I only bring this up to illustrate that neither weed nor hypocrisy are new to IU basketball. 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Well I hope you are never in a position where you need mercy and forgiveness if you feel that way. We all make mistakes and sometimes we need that. 

I’m not sure why you can’t show mercy and forgiveness and still hold young men accountable and responsible for their actions. Those aren’t mutually exclusive. 

CMW’s job isn’t just to get these guys to win games - it’s also to teach them how to be productive members of society, and if they broke the rules or did something wrong, that there are consequences.

Let’s also not forget that in a time when some are drowning in student loan debt, these guys are getting a free education at a good school, and have the opportunity to earn money with the NIL. So, in some ways, it’s a job. Dunno about the rest of you, but if i show up late to my job smelling of weed, there are consequences. 

in other words, welcome to the real world, fellas. 

• Like 8

The dumbest thing IU ever did was to fire Samspon.  This crap keeps happening no matter what.   Happened with Crean, Archie, and now Woody.  Probably happens everywhere it just gets swept under the rug.  At least with Kelvin we'd have a top 5 coach and probably a banner or two by now.  But this administration is so completely inept I fear it's all over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm sure my opinion won't be popular, but I am not absolute in my confidence in the decision Coach Woodson made. Certainly there are rules for which suspending five players is the right call, so I'm not saying I disagree with him either, but the two things I have seen speculated on are missing curfew and smoking weed. And if either of those are the things that happened, I think suspending five players is the wrong call. If it's either of those things, you make guys run. You make guys show up at 5am every morning for a month and run, but to do this to the team is an overreaction. It will hurt this team, it will hurt recruiting and it is the wrong decision.

based on some unexplained benchings earlier in the year, it's entirely possible this is not offense #1 for several of these guys.  Repeat offenses deserve a significantly larger punishment than offense #1. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 3

This isn't about the significance of smoking marijuana.  We can debate all day about whether it should be legal or whether alcohol is worse.

This isn't about braking curfew.  It doesn't even matter if it was just 10 minutes or 3 hours.

This is about breaking team/program rules.

Life is full of rules/laws that can be debated.  I have a dress code I have to conform to at work. Among other things I can't wear t-shirts.  I can't wear shorts.  I can't wear flip-flops.  it doesn't matter if I violate one of those or all three, if I'm caught breaking dress code, I'm reprimanded and sent home. If I do it again a few weeks later, the reprimand will be more stern.  I blatantly do it a 3rd time and I'm probably fired. 

The thing is, none of those things have a bearing on how I do my job.  I'm not client facing.  I'm not doing a job where my likelihood of injury is dependent on what I wear.  Why make a big deal about it?  Because it's a rule and one that takes little or no effort to abide by.  Following rules is part of being accepted in a group. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I would have put the 5 suspended players in with less than a minute to go when the game was out of reach. I would have told them this loss is on you and your actions so you get out there and take it. Look at what you did to your teammates. 

I would have been tempted to send them to post-game press conference to answer questions.

For Woodson, it has to be especially frustrating that Xavier, Durr, and Bates are involved.  Those are guys he brought in, not a problem he inherited.  Those three guys sure didn't show their appreciation for the opportunity.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I'm sure my opinion won't be popular, but I am not absolute in my confidence in the decision Coach Woodson made. Certainly there are rules for which suspending five players is the right call, so I'm not saying I disagree with him either, but the two things I have seen speculated on are missing curfew and smoking weed. And if either of those are the things that happened, I think suspending five players is the wrong call. If it's either of those things, you make guys run. You make guys show up at 5am every morning for a month and run, but to do this to the team is an overreaction. It will hurt this team, it will hurt recruiting and it is the wrong decision.

Some of these guys have been suspended more than once for "breaking the team rules" now.  If you are going to allow the rules to be broken with impunity, why have them?

These guys are adults and we don't know where the team was staying, but to get weed in a city like Chicago that I believe none of them are from, could lead you into some trouble that doesn't just involve sneaking out and smoking weed.

If they want to party and have a good time, whatever.  Doing it the night before a game is stupid.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I would have put the 5 suspended players in with less than a minute to go when the game was out of reach. I would have told them this loss is on you and your actions so you get out there and take it. Look at what you did to your teammates. 

And tell them don’t bother shooting it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Some of these guys have been suspended more than once for "breaking the team rules" now.  If you are going to allow the rules to be broken with impunity, why have them?

These guys are adults and we don't know where the team was staying, but to get weed in a city like Chicago that I believe none of them are from, could lead you into some trouble that doesn't just involve sneaking out and smoking weed.

If they want to party and have a good time, whatever.  Doing it the night before a game is stupid.

That’s why I’m saying moving forward Stewart needs to earn back his starting spot if he doesn’t want it… Then he can go elsewhere  

6 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I could not disagree with you more. So what warrants in your opinion suspension? They left the hotel snuck back in late in Chicago and were high. This is not a minor infraction. We can all play the what if game but what if while out they get into an accident or worse I am sure plenty of people would bash the staff for being too lenient. If only 1 game I for one will be disappointed.  It's obvious they don't care about the success of their team or their teammates.  

Knight suspended Henderson 1 game for skipping class. 

• Like 3

Woody finds himself at the crossroads. This, right now, is the pivotal point in the season. Will he lose the team? Will the team respond with better play and focus? 

I think he had to do what he needed to do. This decision may payoff down the road, but how far down the road? Do we have the right players or do we have the wrong players? 

I hate that this far into the season, I still have more questions than answers. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would say our coaching staff should do a better job of doing background checks on the players we bring in.

Kenya and Coach Ya have said multiple times that they recruit character first and skills second. If they don’t think the player will fit in with the culture Woody wants to build then they don’t extend an offer….no matter how good the recruit is.

Good kids make bad decisions. Good kids learn from their bad decisions. The ones who don’t learn are the ones who need to be worried about. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

Let's not forget two things:

1) This is CMW's first year. He needs to set a tone that certain things will not be tolerated, based on what kind of program he wants to run. 

2) The transfer portal has made it much easier to replace problem children. 

I'd also add that, from what I've read here, if everyone wants to return next year we'll be 3 over on scholarships, so there could be a need for some guys to move on.

8 hours ago, cthomas said:

Culture is a tough thing to build in today's environment. In fact, I'm not sure it can be done. Given the past few years, it's hard for me to understand how kids can put their own interests above the goals of the team.  And how could they not know what CMW would do in response? I'm disappointed in these young men. Privilege comes with responsibility. That at this point in the season we have young men who don't understand that, is beyond disappointing.

The way college basketball is structured nowadays with the transfer portal and the NIL makes it more difficult, but I don't think it's impossible...

If nothing else, Coach Woodson has sent a clear signal to the current group and any prospective players about what kind of coach he is...He's a disciplinarian who cares about his players, while at the same time putting "team" before all else. I think he's honest with the players to a fault, and good about explaining why something is or isn't acceptable, both on and off the court. Some will embrace what he's saying, and some won't. The ones that won't will move on...And to be honest, I'm expecting more of a roster shake-up in the off season than I did before all of this happened...

Loved the effort of the kids that did play, and very, very disappointed in the 5 who were suspended...I think Coach Woody uses the next few days to evaluate who wants to be on this team, and who doesn't...And I wouldn't be shocked if a player or 2 were dropped from the squad...

Another rocky year for IU basketball...

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

They left the hotel snuck back in late in Chicago and were high. 

I know you get intel from time to time.  I was of the understanding that weed was an automatic 2 game suspension.  If Coach isn't sure yet then maybe they got caught buying or in possession?

If a few guys have multiple offenses, how does that escalate?  4 game, 5 game, indefinite, season, or off the team?

6 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Not to make light of your sentiment, but how much marijuana this team does is hilarious old man talk. For that, kudos to you!

But I agree, the team should not do so much weed :) But that's easier said than done. Weed is just not stigmatized like it used to be. Most states it's legal in some shape or form. But I do understand some of these guys are underage, it's against school and team rules, and in the state of Indiana, illegal. But weed rules/laws (separate from curfew/ sneaking out) are pretty hypocritical (based on outdated morality) and should be revisited or at least adjusted to parallel rules that prohibit drinking. I doubt they are giving these guys breathalyzer tests. That being said, you don't want members of your team high or drunk all the time, becoming bad influences, or simply bad teammates. Both booze and weed have their time and place(for most), but it's obvious certain members of the team seem to lack the maturity and decision making ability to decide when that time and place is. Not to mention bringing bad attention to themselves, the team, the school, and the new coaching staff. 

But let's see how these guys respond. If they don't, I trust they'll be gone, just like Woody said.

https://comb.io/t2ZLug

I don’t get what you’re trying to do with this post other than have a temper tantrum. 

First.  No need to take a shot at Kev’s age.  Younger generations always think they invented being cool.  I’ve talked to people who went to school in the 60s and 70s.  Invariably, they will say, “I don’t know a single person who didn’t smoke pot.”   This is not a new thing where you have to label him as uncool as an old man. 

Second.  No one is debating weed vs alcohol. I would agree that in our society we give alcohol a total free pass yet it can be destructive.  But on this topic,  I don’t care.  Nobody cares.