When: Saturday, February 12th 3:30 PM EST

Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing, Michigan

TV: Fox

MSU Record: 17-6 (8-4, 4th in Big Ten)

Results so far:

image.png.d7d8a118ad8ad3eb58f7e0e9224f83dd.png

image.png.da5108629a9e95a9ae07703d1ee24b6d.png

image.png.1947933c9a8ff132a175e5c19327df3f.png

The Spartans are coming off 2 consecutive losses, so I would imagine their practices have been intense. They don't have any one particular guy that can take over a game, but Gabe Brown, Malik Hall, Max Christie (freshman) and Marcus Bingham are all solid players if not a bit inconsistent. Christie is very talented, and will eventually be a star in this league. Joey Hauser has been better lately and has been hitting 3s at a 41% clip. Tyson Walker (transfer from Northeastern) is their PG. He averaged over 18 PPG for the Huskies, but has found the Big 10 to be a bit tougher. AJ Hoggard has been a disappointment but was a top 70 kid coming out of high school.

The Spartans are tough on the defensive end, but on both ends of the floor they're inconsistent. Bingham can look like an All Big 10 player at times, but then will disappear. Gabe Brown is the one that gets them going though. If he's on, it can make for a rough night. You have to guard the perimeter on these guys as they are close to 40% from 3 as a team. 

Hopefully, we'll have all 5 players who missed our last game back. MSU likes to get out in transition, and if we're short handed again, they'll push the pace and wear us out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

If Xavier is back playing and some of the other guys, I think they will come out fired up and get the victory. MSU has lost three out of five games and not really playing all that great. I figured they would fall back to the pack, and they have. Trayce has had a bad couple of games, possibly effects from his injury, so the Hoosiers need him to get out of his slump, which I think he will. 

I would also like to see Tamar get back on track this game, his scoring off the bench would help. Another thing is Jordan needs to start playing a little smarter at times, his rebounding and defense are too important off the bench for him to get in foul trouble.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

Impossible to know the chances of a win here until we know who will be available to play. We will find out the character of some of the "five" when they return to play, as well as if the suspensions will have any adverse affect on the team. Will they be ready to step up, or will there be any sulking and "poor me" attitudes? Will there be any chemistry issues amongst the team after what happened, or will it make them come together through adversity? My gut feeling is that they will come out ready to play (if allowed) and to make amends to the team for their actions. We'll see. I feel there is a good chance to grab a road win this week if the Hoosiers play up to their potential (if most/all are available).

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Impossible to know the chances of a win here until we know who will be available to play. We will find out the character of some of the "five" when they return to play, as well as if the suspensions will have any adverse affect on the team. Will they be ready to step up, or will there be any sulking and "poor me" attitudes? Will there be any chemistry issues amongst the team after what happened, or will it make them come together through adversity? My gut feeling is that they will come out ready to play (if allowed) and to make amends to the team for their actions. We'll see. I feel there is a good chance to grab a road win this week if the Hoosiers play up to their potential (if most/all are available).

Go Hoosiers!

From what I could tell most of the players suspended seemed to be pretty engaged in the last game, so hopefully they realize they messed up and are ready to go get the victory.👍

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

From what I could tell most of the players suspended seemed to be pretty engaged in the last game, so hopefully they realize they messed up and are ready to go get the victory.👍

Correct. My main concern would be the one player who has been talked about on this forum who seemed to be sulking.

Another question to ponder for this game...Will this be the time when Galloway is permanently inserted into the starting lineup as many have been clamoring for? Personally, I have been going back and forth on that possibility, but I am leaning towards making it happen based on the past week. He was the best player for IU in the Northwestern game.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Correct. My main concern would be the one player who has been talked about on this forum who seemed to be sulking.

Another question to ponder for this game...Will this be the time when Galloway is permanently inserted into the starting lineup as many have been clamoring for? Personally, I have been going back and forth on that possibility, but I am leaning towards making it happen based on the past week. He was the best player for IU in the Northwestern game.

I don't think Galloway starts unless Parker isn't playing.  I just don't see CMW doing anything different with the line-up.  If they are available, they start.  Same 5 as we have seen every game this year.  If they are not suspended he is going to challenge them to be leaders and do better.  Is it right, not sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't think Galloway starts unless Parker isn't playing.  I just don't see CMW doing anything different with the line-up.  If they are available, they start.  Same 5 as we have seen every game this year.  If they are not suspended he is going to challenge them to be leaders and do better.  Is it right, not sure.

I tend to agree with you about the starting five, but if there were to ever be a change, this would seem to be the time.

One thing is certain, Galloway has done a ton to prove he should be a starter in his opportunities. I don't get as caught up in who starts as some, but I would say that at the very least, Galloway needs to have more minutes. He deserves them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have been going back and forth on that possibility, but I am leaning towards making it happen based on the past week. He was the best player for IU in the Northwestern game.

I've been kind of resistant on changing the starting lineup, but I think it is probably time. Galloway should be playing more than Parker and with Stewarts second time violating team rules he doesn't deserve to be starting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

I've been kind of resistant on changing the starting lineup, but I think it is probably time. Galloway should be playing more than Parker and with Stewarts second time violating team rules he doesn't deserve to be starting.

This is where I am at as well. Galloway just makes this team better when he is on the court. I'm not sure CMW will ever change it up, but if he ever does, it would seem to be the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

This is where I am at as well. Galloway just makes this team better when he is on the court. I'm not sure CMW will ever change it up, but if he ever does, it would seem to be the time.

He needs to play more under control though.  Can't always be going 100mph.  Has to know when to do this and went to settle in and let the game come to him and the other 4 on the floor.  He also needs to find his shot.  Find a place or places where he can consistently put up some points, and not just going to the rim.  Play with a chip on your shoulder and with an edge but play smart and under control.

Love the kid and he is going to be really good as a Sr.  Get him about 20+ minutes a game going forward.  But he has to be consistent and he has to be a scoring threat to keep those minutes.

• Like 1

One more thought on this game. This is a huge game to put the distraction of the Northwestern debacle behind the team. Come out and play well and win, and much of the discussion/focusing on what happened in Chicago will stop and the focus will be squarely on the Wisconsin game. Lose this game, especially with sloppy/poor play, and the Chicago incident is more likely to be a distraction/story moving forward.

• Like 1

Assuming everyone is available, I'd still start Galloway. I'd tell Parker Stewart he's either going to come in and be a leader and scorer with the second unit or he's going to find himself a new home after this season, but he's out of chances to be anything other than a great member of this team. if that doesn't work for Parker he can leave now - this team does not need an attitude problem and he's honestly the only one I worry about at this point from the group of 5. 

• Like 4

Personally, I think MSU is overrated and we’re just as good as them. Although you have to give them credit, they do find ways to win games. That being said I don’t have any confidence that we’re gonna go up there with the mentality we need to win the game. I hope they prove me wrong, but collectively this team has to come together and figure it out.

• Like 3

Hard to predict this one without knowing who will be playing. One thing I really hope happens is the offense starts to flow through our guards as much as possible. Our offense is completely stagnant when we force the ball into TJD, and he’s been missing a bunch of close shots at the rim. Those forced shots almost feel like a turnover. Need to get better looks and find other guys to step up on offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Assuming everyone is available, I'd still start Galloway. I'd tell Parker Stewart he's either going to come in and be a leader and scorer with the second unit or he's going to find himself a new home after this season, but he's out of chances to be anything other than a great member of this team. if that doesn't work for Parker he can leave now - this team does not need an attitude problem and he's honestly the only one I worry about at this point from the group of 5. 

I think that all depends on what's happened in the interim...If there was physical "punishment" and Parker put in the effort, and if after a talk he and Coach Woodson are on the same page, then I'd start him...Hey, you made a mistake, but I still believe in you...That might go a long way toward breaking him out of his funk...

As you said, though, I would make it clear that all chits have been called in at this point...this is it...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Same boat! Not sure it matters who’s available… MSU by 10. I know we’re coming off two losses, but so are they and they are at home. 

I just have that sinking feeling that the slide has begun and I am not sure that we have enough on court leadership to stop it or even slow it down. I hope that I am wrong and we rise up through the adversity but that has not been to M.O. for quite some time with our program

• Like 2
  • Sad 1