Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

RE: Same starting 5 for first part of both halves.

Several of us have been clamoring for a change of starting lineup, and start of the 2nd half lineup. (some of us haven't)

DeCorsey made a great point today on a podcast, that coaches that refuse to change the starting line ups in both halves are essentially pissing away ¼ of the game for a line up that doesn't work. First 5 miuntes of each half= 10 minutes = ¼ of the game. That's a helluva hole to dig out of game in and game out...providing... the line up is not working.

Sitting Phin to start the 2nd half of the PU game was stupid IMO. 

Woody didn't have a problem yanking Geronimo when he gave up 5 quick points in 1½ minutes in a game, why is he so stubborn to change the lineup to something that works? He subs guys in and out all the time, so why not at the start of both halves? I just don't get it.

If the starting 5 are doing good, then leave them in for 8-10 minutes, or until they ask to come out for a blow. Instead, he subs at the 4½ minute mark almost like clockwork. Play what is working !  My 2¢.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think that all depends on what's happened in the interim...If there was physical "punishment" and Parker put in the effort, and if after a talk he and Coach Woodson are on the same page, then I'd start him...Hey, you made a mistake, but I still believe in you...That might go a long way toward breaking him out of his funk...

As you said, though, I would make it clear that all chits have been called in at this point...this is it...

Fair. We only have a very small piece of the puzzle so any amount of questioning what happens should be done with caution. 

• Like 2

I do hope Galloway gets Stewart's spot to start.  That is two guys on the perimeter to start the game who can drive and distribute the ball.  We won't "space" the floor as much I guess but Stewart/Kopp don't seem to shoot much anyway.

Kind of just hoping the suspensions force Woody's hand a bit, because this is one area where I think he is being stubborn and it just is not working.

• Like 4

I get the concern for the next few games, but I feel slightly confident in this team going into this stretch. MSU isn't as strong as they usually are, and they aren't playing that well lately, we were rolling Wisky at their place in the first half and then things unraveled and we match up well with them (and I think X has learned to contain himself a bit since then), and we've already beaten OSU. Certainly winning on the road is difficult, but I don't think 2-1 is unreasonable, especially if this team rallies around the WC5.

'Course, 0-3 is certainly on the menu, too.

• Like 6

Let’s go with TJD, Race, Kopp, XJ and Galloway, and sub Stewart for Kopp. That way we always have a 3 point threat in the game. We should be quicker and even better defensively with Galloway on the floor as a starter. No need for Kopp and Stewart to be in the game at the same time. 

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2