Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

For the sake of peace, out until April.  This is a script I’ve seen.  Let’s see what the new roster looks like for next year.  Hope for this season?   I’ll save that for the sunshine-pumpers.  Go IU!

It seems like the curse of February is coming for us again. I have a feeling CMW isnt going to let that happen. We may have 6 players in the end but thats not always a bad thing. This i'm afraid is what the portal may bring from time to time, other people trash could end up your trash too, not treasures.

7 hours ago, Indykev said:

It seems like the curse of February is coming for us again. I have a feeling CMW isnt going to let that happen. We may have 6 players in the end but thats not always a bad thing. This i'm afraid is what the portal may bring from time to time, other people trash could end up your trash too, not treasures.

I appreciate that.  And would love for message to be received and see them respond. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

Woody has been in this position before as a player with the Hoosiers.  Maybe he can channel the '77-'78 season into this squad.

honestly, i just want good basketball.  Win or lose at least compete, play sound ball, and at least look like you've learned something this year.  Other than the WC5 incident, it was looking like XJ was getting better through the season.  TJD, Kopp and look pretty much the same from game one to now.  Race is getting better I think, but really shouldn't be shooting 3s in my uneducated opinion.

Play well.  Play hard.  Learn from their mistakes.  The rest works itself out.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

honestly, i just want good basketball.  Win or lose at least compete, play sound ball, and at least look like you've learned something this year.  Other than the WC5 incident, it was looking like CJ was getting better through the season.  TJD, Kopp and look pretty much the same from game one to now.  Race is getting better I think, but really shouldn't be shooting 3s in my uneducated opinion.

Play well.  Play hard.  Learn from their mistakes.  The rest works itself out.

On Race shooting 3's.  He's not shooting well I think in low 20's, but if we are going to improve our offense, a big that can at least make the opponents guard him from 3 would be important.  "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."  I don't think CMW would continue to give him the green light unless he thought there was a chance he could become a threat.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, slojoe said:

On Race shooting 3's.  He's not shooting well I think in low 20's, but if we are going to improve our offense, a big that can at least make the opponents guard him from 3 would be important.  "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."  I don't think CMW would continue to give him the green light unless he thought there was a chance he could become a threat.

And its not like he's throwing frozen roped off the shot clock. Most of his shots are just a little off but look decent. I know close doesnt count and the team needs them to go in, but like you, i think he's allowed to shoot them for a reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, slojoe said:

while i understand this and know that i am in the minority, my problem is that #1 - if I'm an opponent i am not respecting it, i'm giving it to him.  begging him to shoot it.  #2 - absolutely fine with working on it in practice and free time, but working on it in games that matter isn't good IMO.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slojoe said:

He's a threat. You can see more teams closing out on him. He's shooting 11% better from the FT in conference play this season compared to last. His shooting has improved dramatically. 

• Thanks 1

ILL and NW both closed out on Race, it was evident those two teams weren't just going to give up 100% uncontested shots to him. 

We are talking about 2 shots a game on average and usually 1 of those 2 are taken in the last eight secs of the shot clock. He can't just pass up an open shot, in rhythm, and the shot clock winding down. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DWB said:

RE: Same starting 5 for first part of both halves.

Several of us have been clamoring for a change of starting lineup, and start of the 2nd half lineup. (some of us haven't)

DeCorsey made a great point today on a podcast, that coaches that refuse to change the starting line ups in both halves are essentially pissing away ¼ of the game for a line up that doesn't work. First 5 miuntes of each half= 10 minutes = ¼ of the game. That's a helluva hole to dig out of game in and game out...providing... the line up is not working.

Sitting Phin to start the 2nd half of the PU game was stupid IMO. 

Woody didn't have a problem yanking Geronimo when he gave up 5 quick points in 1½ minutes in a game, why is he so stubborn to change the lineup to something that works? He subs guys in and out all the time, so why not at the start of both halves? I just don't get it.

If the starting 5 are doing good, then leave them in for 8-10 minutes, or until they ask to come out for a blow. Instead, he subs at the 4½ minute mark almost like clockwork. Play what is working !  My 2¢.

The starting five should mean something. It should be the most effective 5 guys you can put on the floor. It may not be your best 5 players. The starting five should be an obtainable reward for impacting the previous game and impacting practice. Galloway has been all of that since coming back from his injury. 

The most productive five of the first half should be the group you want to start the second half with. 

This is the only area I've been disappointed in with CMW. He's gotten away from the NBA style line shift substitutions which was good. I've yet to see him strategically counter something offensively that lead us to a win. He has however gotten the defense to give an appearance of personal ownership. 

This suspension was a great thing for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Sounds like we might be seeing an starting lineup change

Have to alter some rotations, as well then. It's interesting to say that least, thinking about tomorrow in those regards. Lineups/who earned their mins back/can TJD and RT play another 35-36 mins. Shew lots of unknowns. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Sounds like we might be seeing an starting lineup change

i sure hope so for at least 1 game.  this is all just each person's opinions that don't really matter, but when you take into account the suspensions and the reaction to the suspensions, it would be hard for me to understand how atleast 1 of the usual starters should just come right back in and start.  honestly for this 1 game only, i think the same 5 from last game should start and then play X starter minutes assuming coach is happy with his response and play.  Stewart?  not sure he should even play.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DWB said:

RE: Same starting 5 for first part of both halves.

Several of us have been clamoring for a change of starting lineup, and start of the 2nd half lineup. (some of us haven't)

DeCorsey made a great point today on a podcast, that coaches that refuse to change the starting line ups in both halves are essentially pissing away ¼ of the game for a line up that doesn't work. First 5 miuntes of each half= 10 minutes = ¼ of the game. That's a helluva hole to dig out of game in and game out...providing... the line up is not working.

Sitting Phin to start the 2nd half of the PU game was stupid IMO. 

Woody didn't have a problem yanking Geronimo when he gave up 5 quick points in 1½ minutes in a game, why is he so stubborn to change the lineup to something that works? He subs guys in and out all the time, so why not at the start of both halves? I just don't get it.

If the starting 5 are doing good, then leave them in for 8-10 minutes, or until they ask to come out for a blow. Instead, he subs at the 4½ minute mark almost like clockwork. Play what is working !  My 2¢.

Just to speak in facts about the Purdue game because that's the game you referenced. 

With 11:30mins to go in the 2nd half of the Purdue game we were up 7, and at the start of the half we were up 9. So, we had played 8.5 mins against a top 5 team and we were down 2. 

There isn't a coach that regularly changes his lineups from the start of the game compared to the start of the 2nd half. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i sure hope so for at least 1 game.  this is all just each person's opinions that don't really matter, but when you take into account the suspensions and the reaction to the suspensions, it would be hard for me to understand how atleast 1 of the usual starters should just come right back in and start.  honestly for this 1 game only, i think the same 5 from last game should start and then play X starter minutes assuming coach is happy with his response and play.  Stewart?  not sure he should even play.  

I'm not into the body language stuff from one camera angle, for 5 secs at a time. PS very well could have had miserable body language the whole night/pouted, but we don't know that for certain from what we saw. 

If it's deemed he was a poor teammate, I agree with you, sit him. I like your idea about XJ, as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

There are times i think its ok, but there are times he shoots it and he isn't the one you want taking that shot.  But i get it.