Michigan State Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Kind of the way I see it.

• If he makes it, it's ok.
  • If he misses it, he isn't the one I wanted shooting.  

That's kind of where I am. I've said this before, but based on how he's shooting, getting his feet set, in good rhythm, looks confident, I feel like he's knocking these down in practice and, for whatever reason, it's just not translating to game days. But, OTOH, at some point when you're shooting <30% from there, it starts to turn into that whole definition of insanity thing. Really hoping he starts knocking them down at a little bit better clip because (1) the kid's awesome and impossible not to root for and (2) it would really help to open up the offense a bit.

24 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Well he is here to hang a banner, so I like it. Just go ahead and get that Monkey off his back this year. I'm ok with it.

hey, again, of course i like the can do attitude!  i'm just sayin... win out?  sure, i don't want the coach to say, "Hey, we'll be lucky to win 3 more games."  i'm just saying realistically we'll be favored in 3 games right?

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

hey, again, of course i like the can do attitude!  i'm just sayin... win out?  sure, i don't want the coach to say, "Hey, we'll be lucky to win 3 more games."  i'm just saying realistically we'll be favored in 3 games right?

I'd say 4 and as of now we are pretty heavy favorites on ESPN in 4 of those games. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Totally with ya man. Winning out, even just in the B1G would be a pretty huge feat. I don't think anyone will either. But I had my sunshine machine out and wanted to share some of it.

1 minute ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I’m assuming MD, Rutgers, Minny, and Wisconsin. Correct?

Yes. I think we will be a 1pt or 1.5pt favorite against UW, come tip. Basing that on the ILL line, so that could change since we will have played 2 games in between those. Again, simply a guess, but the point remains.... we have some TOUGH games left! 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i honestly would bet on 3 wins if forced to bet, BUT... after looking at Iowa, Michigan, and Rutgers remaining schedules  i like our odds of finishing 6th.  

The key game of those four IMO is vs Wisconsin. That will in theory be the toughest of the four plus it gives us another quality win. 

• Like 2

Race has to continue to be confident in his stroke to space the floor. We had the same issue with Justin Smith when he was here. We can't continue to do that and I'm absolutely confident Woody will get guys in here that can knock it down at the 4 position. That said....I know there are spacing issues if he sneaks in too much but honestly....would it kill him to step in 3-4 feet and make those 18' jumpers instead of 22 foot ones? I'd reackon he probably could shoot a 45-50% clip at that distance given he has a nice looking shot. Just because he can shoot 3's doesn't mean he has to. He doesn't have to stand outside the 3pt line all the time. Just play a step or so inside that and be ready to shoot when it comes his way!

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Race has to continue to be confident in his stroke to space the floor...

Honestly, I wish Coach Woodson would force TJD to shoot a few more jumpers as well (maybe not 3 pointers). I think he can hit them as well, you just needs a few to go through the hoop in a game. 

The fact is we are not going very far if we have two 6-8/9 guys camped out all game two feet from the basket. Too easy to defend. 

PLUS: RACE HAS EARNED THE RIGHT TO SHOOT A FEW THREES A GAME. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

The key game of those four IMO is vs Wisconsin. That will in theory be the toughest of the four plus it gives us another quality win. 

That's the game I feel the most confident about of the ranked teams left on the schedule. We were running them out of their gym in the first half, and we let them off the hook. And I do feel like we lost that game more than they won it, for whatever that's worth. Feel like this team has learned to play a little smarter down the stretch, particularly XJ. 

• Like 4