Build Your Own Team

5fouls

A lot of lineup discussions with this team,  Thought it might be fun to try to take the players from this year's team and integrate them into a lineup made up from players in IU's Past. 

Here are your rules

• Select an 8-man rotation from the starting rosters of the 5 IU teams below
  • Your team will consist of 5 starters and 3 bench players.  
  • Positions matter for the starters.  The number by the player's name below represents their spot in the starting lineup
  • Every IU roster below must be represented on your team.  No more than 2 players can be selected from any of the teams
  • As a coach, you are committed to playing all starters 25+ minutes
  • You must select at least one STARTER from each of the 5 teams below.  Yes, that means someone from this year's team starts 
  • Rosters were determined by who started the most.  For example, Turner started more than J. Thomas in '81
  • Not required, but If you want to offer an explanation on how you put your team together, it would add to the discussion  
  • Remember, your starting lineup can only have one starter from each team and starters cannot be shifted off their designated position
  • Edit:  I didn't pick '92-'93 because I wanted an additional 'recent' team in the mix.  Hence '-12-'13.  The 3 champions and this year's rosters are at the core of the exercise.

'75-'76 Roster

1) Buckner

2) Wilkerson

3) May

4) Abernathy

5 Benson

'80-'81 Roster

1) I. Thomas

2) Wittman

3) Kitchell

4) Turner

5) Tolbert

'86-'87 Roster

1) Smart

2) Alford

3) Calloway

4) D. Thomas

5) Garrett

'12-'13 Roster

1) Ferrell

2) Hulls

3) Oladipo

4) Watford

5) Zeller

'21-'22 Roster

1) X. Johnson

2) Stewart

3) Kopp

4) Thompson

5) Jackson-Davis

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Starters:

1) I. Thomas

2) Alford

3) May

4) Watford

5) TJD

Reserves:

Buckner

Oladipo

Garrett

The bench construction is interesting, given your rules...

I think this roster is fast and pretty good solid defensively.

I struggled getting enough shooters on my team.  I originally had Buckner and Oladipo on my roster as well, but ended up having to drop both to get May on the roster.  

I never saw (nor heard on the radio) the '75-'76 team nor the '80-'81 team and only listened to the '86-'87 team on the radio... so certainly recency bias:

1. IT
  2. Alford
  3. Dipo
  4. May (corrected from TJD per rules that I did not read 😆)
  5. TJD (I do not know the other centers well and want 'Dipo in the starting five over Zeller)
  • Yogi
  • Zeller (had to cut Watford)
  • Thompson - need guys like him

Why no '92-'93?!?!

Edited by GaloisGroupe
  • Like 1

Just now, GaloisGroupe said:

I never saw (nor heard on the radio) the '75-'76 team nor the '80-'81 team and only listened to the '86-'87 team on the radio... so certainly recency bias:

1. IT
  2. Alford
  3. Dipo
  4. TJD
  5. Zeller
  • Yogi
  • Watford

Why no '92-'93?!?!

Might want to check out the rules again…

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

1. IT
  2. Alford
  3. Dipo
  4. TJD
  5. Zeller
  • Yogi
  • Watford

Why no '92-'93?!?!

TJD and Zeller both can't be in the starting lineup.  They are both listed at the '5'.  And, with the 2 player limit, you can't have Dipo, Zeller, Watford, and Yogi all on the roster.  

I didn't choose '92-'93 because I wanted to have a little more recency with the '12-'13 team.  The overall exercise was to integrate someone from this team year's team onto a Championship caliber roster.

Just now, IU Scott said:

1) IT.

2) Alford.

3) May.

4) Race.

5) Zeller.

B) Wittman.

B) Buckner.

B) D. Thomas.

What are your reasoning on picking these rosters.  Wondering why not the roster from 92/93

5 starters so 5 roster.  '3 championship teams and this year's team.  See explanation in my response to @GaloisGroupeabove.  

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It says a lot about the '12-'13 team that I was actively looking for ways to get Ferrell, Oladipo, Watford, and Zeller on my team.  

I interpreted this to be the players as they were that year… in which case I don’t think there’s much of a case for Ferrell. He’s the worst of all five point guards by that standard. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I interpreted this to be the players as they were that year… in which case I don’t think there’s much of a case for Ferrell. He’s the worst of all five point guards by that standard. 

True.  And, yes, your interpretation of the rules is correct.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

TJD and Zeller both can't be in the starting lineup.  They are both listed at the '5'.  And, with the 2 player limit, you can't have Dipo, Zeller, Watford, and Yogi all on the roster.  

I didn't choose '92-'93 because I wanted to have a little more recency with the '12-'13 team.  The overall exercise was to integrate someone from this team year's team onto a Championship caliber roster.

Honestly, TJD would be easy to fit on a championship caliber roster. If he was not the only focal point of an offense, he would be amazing. 

• Like 2