Build Your Own Team

5fouls

Also with all the talk of lineups and playing time plus the talk about these different eras.  If you watched some of our older games you would see most of the subs came only due to foul trouble.  Against good teams and close games our starters would play unless they got their 3rd foul in the first half.

I think I remember on the 81 game against Maryland the bench played a total of 3 minutes in the first half.

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't realize there were a right or wrong answers.  I thought it was the team in our opinion that would be the best.  Tolbert ran the floor as good of not better than Zeller did.  Tolbert could hit shots from 15+18 feet where Zeller never did.  Tolbert was also a better defender and shot blocker.  A lot of people said that if Turner hadn't gotten injured in the car wreck he would have been the top pick in the draft the next year.

We are having a discussion.  That's the purpose of this board.  You make a point, I counter-point, and you come back with your defense.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

Just now, 5fouls said:

I have some ideas for additional Build Your Own Team threads. I'll try to make them more appealing to both the old and new geberstions. I'll break the next one out after the MSU postgame thread runs its course.

Meanwhile, keep those lineups coming with this structure.

Love these kind of discussions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have some ideas for additional Build Your Own Team threads. I'll try to make them more appealing to both the old and new geberstions. I'll break the next one out after the MSU postgame thread runs its course.

Meanwhile, keep those lineups coming with this structure.

Just no DH! 😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I’m sorry, you’re completely delusional if the point you’re making is that all of those guys are better than Oladipo and Zeller. 

I picked a team and not just the most talented or all star team.  I also want players on my team who knows how to win and Zeller and VO didn't win at s high level.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I watched some of our games before the shot clock RMK would start holding the ball around the 3 minute mark.  Also when we did this the band would start playing something and didn't think you could do that during the play.

The band would play "Another One Bites the Dust"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Obviously, either would completely change our game.... but I personally do not think many bubble teams are only one elite (college level) player away from a title.

Compare to the 2012-2013 team, aside from Yogi (FR) vs. XJ (SR) I am not sure I would take anyone from this team over their comparator from that team: Hulls > Steward, VO > Kopp, Wat maybe wash with Thompson (ironically, I think Thompson would have been a better fit on the '12-'13 team and Wat's 3 point shooting would help this team more) and (as much as I LOVE TJD) Zeller > TJD. Even Sheehy (JR) was better than Galloway (SO) - albeit I think Galloway's trajectory (i.e., improving shot) makes his long-term ceiling MUCH higher)

PS: This is not a knock on this team, I LOVE THEM and believe they will find a way into at least the sweet 16.

We aren’t a bubble team and the only reason we could fall there is because of off the court issues. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I picked a team and not just the most talented or all star team.  I also want players on my team who knows how to win and Zeller and VO didn't win at s high level.

What an absurd argument to make. You wouldn’t take Larry Bird on a college all time great team because he didn’t win a title?

VO and Zeller check every single box you could want. The fact that you refuse to admit that out of your extreme ageism and ignorance is why people go at you so hard. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What do you consider a high level?  They didn't win an NC but Cody Zeller absolutely knew how to win. You would be crazy to think otherwise 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I agree with you on all of this.  I just hate the shot clock at 30 seconds and thought it was best at 45 seconds.  It still allowed you to actually run an offense but it eliminated teams holding the ball at the ends of game. With the kind of offense that is ran today 30 seconds shot clock makes for a lit of forced shots at the end of the shot clock.  Teams wait to long to start their offense so most of the time you have to get a shot off in like 13 seconds. 

If you watched the games when it was at 45 seconds you never even heard the shot clock mentioned. Back then to started your offense right away and took the first open shot no matter where the shot came from.  With everything being a 3 or a layup it takes longer to find your shot.  Before every pass or cut was to find a shot.  To me it is so much easier defending the offenses today because you pretty much taking 1/3 of the court away.  I just despises seeing an offense that is all about dribbling and not passing and cutting.

You’re romanticizing things. The shot clock needed to get shortened because teams just pounded the ball out top. Yes, you can always find one off examples but if it really wasn’t starting to impact pace of play they wouldn’t have done it; they don’t just change rules when there isn’t a problem believe it or not. 

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also with all the talk of lineups and playing time plus the talk about these different eras.  If you watched some of our older games you would see most of the subs came only due to foul trouble.  Against good teams and close games our starters would play unless they got their 3rd foul in the first half.

I think I remember on the 81 game against Maryland the bench played a total of 3 minutes in the first half.

There are more good players now. There are over 100 million more people that live in the US alone now, compared to 1976. So, it's simple math. Then throw in AAU and holy poop. It explodes. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What an absurd argument to make. You wouldn’t take Larry Bird on a college all time great team because he didn’t win a title?

VO and Zeller check every single box you could want. The fact that you refuse to admit that out of your extreme ageism and ignorance is why people go at you so hard. 

Didn't say win s title because I would have put Chesney and Henderson on this list if that was an option.  Why so upset because it is just my opinion.  Also how many of those guys on my list that you have seen play.

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You’re romanticizing things. The shot clock needed to get shortened because teams just pounded the ball out top. Yes, you can always find one off examples but if it really wasn’t starting to impact pace of play they wouldn’t have done it; they don’t just change rules when there isn’t a problem believe it or not. 

No they didn't, just go watch our 87 and early 90's team.  They are way more pounding the ball now.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Didn't say win s title because I would have put Chesney and Henderson on this list if that was an option.  Why so upset because it is just my opinion.  Also how many of those guys on my list that you have seen play.

I’ve seen as many play in my time as an adult with a fully formed brain as you have.

You’re making a strong case for why eye witness testimony, particularly from a child, isn’t reliable evidence. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

No they didn't, just go watch our 87 and early 90's team.  They are way more pounding the ball now.

They didn’t make a rule because of just our team; that’s the entire point. You will latch on to some anecdotal piece of evidence and convince yourself of something that’s not true. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So... whats the difference? I have no interest in a 12fter

Any shot that goes in is the best shot.  I have no interest in seeing teams going 7-30 from 3. The more missed shots the more the other team can get out and run due to long rebounds.  Analytics is ruining basketball if you ask me.