Michigan State Post Game Thread

KDB

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think since Marshall got here our shooting had been horrendous and that good shooters like Kopp and Stewart are now struggling shooting.  I know things had changed but when I was as younger basketball players didn't really do a lot of weight training.

Kopp and Stewart haven’t been struggling. Maybe you should look at their percentages. Stewart is shooting 45% from 3. FT’s are mental. Kopp is shooting 37% from 3 and 91% from the FT line. 37% for Kopp would be the second best season of his career. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just looked at a mock draft and they had 5 big ten players in the top 15.

Ivey.

Davis.

Christie.

Murray.

McGowan.

They had TJD at 31 and had Liddell in tbe 2nd round.  I have been wondering who from the big ten will leave or come back next year.  I was wondering about guys like Dickerson who had before a legitimate outside shooter plus Houston and Diabetes.  You have Cockburn who I figured would leave.  I don't see where They would leave since not much use for a slow 7'4 guy in the NBA.

The one that really surprised me to see high in tbe draft is Christie from MSU.  He just doesn't look like a one and done player.

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

As much as I don’t think pounding the ball into him every possession is a good idea. He has to be better than that for this team to have any success. He’s got to be better at finishing over players 6’9 and taller. 

Since he has no real post moves it is hard for him to just back his man down.  If he learned a good turn around shot in tbe lane would have helped.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just looked at a mock draft and they had 5 big ten players in the top 15.

Ivey.

Davis.

Christie.

Murray.

McGowan.

They had TJD at 31 and had Liddell in tbe 2nd round.  I have been wondering who from the big ten will leave or come back next year.  I was wondering about guys like Dickerson who had before a legitimate outside shooter plus Houston and Diabetes.  You have Cockburn who I figured would leave.  I don't see where They would leave since not much use for a slow 7'4 guy in the NBA.

The one that really surprised me to see high in tbe draft is Christie from MSU.  He just doesn't look like a one and done player.

Have seen both Michigan freshman in 1st round.

Edey in mid 2nd 

Christie is long but not overly athletic 

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

How about the last 10 years because that seems like when the big ten became to physical.  There are reasons why the big ten aren't getting very many top 25 recruits and the hay is how the big ten plays.

Since 2011 we have more Final 4 teams than any other conference and are second to the Missouri Valley (with a very small sample size) in first round record. The article I found didn't list overall record, but it's hard to say there's some systemic problem with those facts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

How many of those 12 makes are dunks?  I said in the game thread and I’ll say it again, I’ve come to the point where unless he is dunking the ball, I assume his shots are not going in. 

I have come to the conclusion that TJD is a poor man's Shaq.  

Bright Side:

Thompson has morphed into Daryl Thomas and I look forward to having him back next year. He's the best all-around defender on the team and a rugged Big Ten interior player. 

Bates will be what we expected next year and along with XJ, Galloway, Race and year two of CMW be something to look forward to. Geronimo, Shifino and Bates in spots should give us a respectable bench. 

WE WILL NEED A PORTAL RIM PROTECTOR..........

Not so bright: 

Stewart was someone that I thought would be potentially a number two option for us. He's certainly not the guy I thought he would be and along with Kopp been very disappointing. 

We'll need Rob back very soon and even if he looks just half the player he was against Purdue 20 wins and at least another one if not two in the conference tourney may be hard to get. 

The officiating was way too prominent in this game. Not the reason we lost but for a team that wins on the defensive side of the ball it certainly did make establishing momentum very hard. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Kopp and Stewart haven’t been struggling. Maybe you should look at their percentages. Stewart is shooting 45% from 3. FT’s are mental. Kopp is shooting 37% from 3 and 91% from the FT line. 37% for Kopp would be the second best season of his career. 

They are counted on to be contributors to victories. In the roles they've had over the course of the season they have more often than not been non-factors offensively. Neither, especially Kopp are particular stellar on the defensive side of the ball either. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's what we need to do, too. 

If you look at the good Crean teams (which I think honestly have a really good offensive design for modern basketball, but not perfect), we didn't play through the post even though we almost always had an NBA big on the team. You need dynamic guards and wings to win in basketball, period. 

Our offense looks bad because we have 1's, 2's, and 3's that are not good shooters...or they are unable to get a good shot off unless the circumstances are just right.  Our starting PG also misses them when they are open enough for it to be a problem.

I agree with you that we need more dynamic guards and wings.  I think they tend to make the offense look better.  The Crean system looked bad when he lacked the players for it (the movements first year anyone?) but was a thing of beauty when you had an NBA center, a 4 who could hit the 3, a dynamic PG, Jordan Hulls, and another NBA 3 who was a dual threat as well.

There currently is not one NBA player on the team IMO and the ones we do have with the best chance are all big men.  College is a guards game.  The best bigs are gone in a year or two, the really good ones do all their development in the pros.

We HAVE to beat Wisconsin.  I think we really needed to beat Northwestern as well.  I am going to be really harsh and say that if we miss the tournament at the end of the year Stewart and Durr would for sure not be asked back and Lander would be iffy.  None of them have shown enough to get away with costing a  tournament run.  If College is a business now, moreso than ever in the past, I'm not here to mess around anymore.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

This is a massive problem. 

Trayce doesn't shoot half the time.  He gets contact and flips the ball at the rim.  His "shot" is usually the type of thing you see guys throw up when they have just had a hard foul and they are throwing something at the rim thinking "maybe I get lucky..."

• Like 2

13 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

At least Woody tells it like it is. 

He did acknowledge the stagnation when we post Trayce. Teams haven’t been biting on the cuts and TJD needs to make faster decisions. But again, if we can’t make this work and and the open shots being kicked out aren’t going down…what do we do? Perhaps it’s too late in the season to change, but I really hope our personnel in the future does not force us into this type of offense. It’s been the plan going all the way back to Morgan and I’m just tired of watching it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It depends on who comes back but probably need a really good PG. I don't think JHS should be thrown right into being the PG.  I hope Bates and JHS can be the wings to go with a true PG.  That way you have two guys who can be the primary ball handler.  I really would love to see Race come back to he the main interior player 

XJ will be the starting PG next year.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It’s also troubling when we can put any player on the floor on the line to shoot the free throw from a technical. Something’s not right when the best player on the floor shoots 60%. (Now 52%)

That said, also need to give partial credit to the Izzone for rattling P Stew. 

The player fouled was Parker. It was an intentional foul not a T. 2 shots and the ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i'll try to take the optimistic angle this morning... in my best Cubs fan mentality... wait til next year.  i could still see Bates being very good.  JHS should come in about as ready as any top freshman.  Galloway and Geronimo another year experienced.  maybe Durr will be better?  hopefully Race is back.  feel pretty confident Woodson can get help from the transfer portal.  if X is back as well?