Michigan State Post Game Thread

KDB

Quick day after perusing on twitter I just want to throw these things out there to IU fans and opposing fans.

Yes. IU has it's own problems at the FT Line. Yes. IU has problems with shooting. Yes. We have a stagnant offense when it's just flowing into TJD.

However we can also acknowledge that the officiating has become so bad that even the announcers were left stumbling a few times on calls, explanation of calls,etc....and it directly impacts a game. Possession to possession one official calls it one way and the other goes another way....and that's if they are even on the floor. 

The product of Big 10 basketball has become so ugly to watch I can't even find myself being able to fairly evaluate our players because I'm waiting for zebra to inject himself into the game. 

6 games left. Need that Wiscy game badly Tuesday because Iowa/Michigan seem to be on the same line we are in most tourney brackets and they beat us in our only games this year.

• Like 3

I didn't get to watch the game live, but just finished watching it...

Sure, missed shots, missed free throws, bad officiating...but a lot of our problems stem from handing the other team momentum. We worry so much about winning the crap talking game that we lose our composure and dig ourselves a hole...

Think about it...getting Trent Frazier lit vs Illinois...the Kenya Hunter tech and the 2 F1s vs Northwestern...the Coach Woody tech vs MSU...those were momentum swinging moments that we never recovered from. 

I know RMK got his share of techs, but I'd like to see what the numbers were in front of an uber hostile crowd on the road. Coach Woodson knows better than that. All you're doing is feeding the frenzy of the crowd, and we're not offensively talented enough to give teams points...

Don't worry about talking, just play...focus and play basketball...winning speaks much louder to your opponent than words ever will...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Quick day after perusing on twitter I just want to throw these things out there to IU fans and opposing fans.

Yes. IU has it's own problems at the FT Line. Yes. IU has problems with shooting. Yes. We have a stagnant offense when it's just flowing into TJD.

However we can also acknowledge that the officiating has become so bad that even the announcers were left stumbling a few times on calls, explanation of calls,etc....and it directly impacts a game. Possession to possession one official calls it one way and the other goes another way....and that's if they are even on the floor. 

The product of Big 10 basketball has become so ugly to watch I can't even find myself being able to fairly evaluate our players because I'm waiting for zebra to inject himself into the game. 

6 games left. Need that Wiscy game badly Tuesday because Iowa/Michigan seem to be on the same line we are in most tourney brackets and they beat us in our only games this year.

I think it would take a miracle for Michigan to get in. They're too inconsistent to string together enough wins at this point.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I think it would take a miracle for Michigan to get in. They're too inconsistent to string together enough wins at this point.

Wow. Just looked at their schedule. Agree with you 100%. I don't think they'll finish with above .500 overall record let alone in conference. Good news on this cold Sunday morning!

7 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Why is it that right now I feel we need a miracle to get in?  Woody needs to find a way to right the ship...STAT.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Why is it that right now I feel we need a miracle to get in?  Woody needs to find a way to right the ship...STAT.

I'm right there with you, Rico.  😡  Unfortunately, I don't believe it's going to happen.  I don't believe in miracles with this group of players.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Our offense looks bad because we have 1's, 2's, and 3's that are not good shooters...or they are unable to get a good shot off unless the circumstances are just right.  Our starting PG also misses them when they are open enough for it to be a problem.

I agree with you that we need more dynamic guards and wings.  I think they tend to make the offense look better.  The Crean system looked bad when he lacked the players for it (the movements first year anyone?) but was a thing of beauty when you had an NBA center, a 4 who could hit the 3, a dynamic PG, Jordan Hulls, and another NBA 3 who was a dual threat as well.

There currently is not one NBA player on the team IMO and the ones we do have with the best chance are all big men.  College is a guards game.  The best bigs are gone in a year or two, the really good ones do all their development in the pros.

We HAVE to beat Wisconsin.  I think we really needed to beat Northwestern as well.  I am going to be really harsh and say that if we miss the tournament at the end of the year Stewart and Durr would for sure not be asked back and Lander would be iffy.  None of them have shown enough to get away with costing a  tournament run.  If College is a business now, moreso than ever in the past, I'm not here to mess around anymore.

Agree with you. We have had a talent issue in Bloomington much more than any X and O issues. 

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'll try to take the optimistic angle this morning... in my best Cubs fan mentality... wait til next year.  i could still see Bates being very good.  JHS should come in about as ready as any top freshman.  Galloway and Geronimo another year experienced.  maybe Durr will be better?  hopefully Race is back.  feel pretty confident Woodson can get help from the transfer portal.  if X is back as well?  

X has another year of eligibility. I think we probably need to add a couple guys in the portal, but we could potentially be better next year. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe it's just me but I haven't found a mock where we aren't in. Now if we lose on Tuesday I could see us being Dayton for the play in game but we are still in everything I'm seeing. 

We are currently playing ourselves out of the tournament.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't get to watch the game live, but just finished watching it...

Sure, missed shots, missed free throws, bad officiating...but a lot of our problems stem from handing the other team momentum. We worry so much about winning the crap talking game that we lose our composure and dig ourselves a hole...

Think about it...getting Trent Frazier lit vs Illinois...the Kenya Hunter tech and the 2 F1s vs Northwestern...the Coach Woody tech vs MSU...those were momentum swinging moments that we never recovered from. 

I know RMK got his share of techs, but I'd like to see what the numbers were in front of an uber hostile crowd on the road. Coach Woodson knows better than that. All you're doing is feeding the frenzy of the crowd, and we're not offensively talented enough to give teams points...

Don't worry about talking, just play...focus and play basketball...winning speaks much louder to your opponent than words ever will...

I didn’t have any problem with the Woodson tech. At some point that officiating got so bad that it needed to happen. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

X has another year of eligibility. I think we probably need to add a couple guys in the portal, but we could potentially be better next year. 

If X and at least one of Race/Trayce stay, I think we will be just fine. Will still need a transfer big, but not a savior. If we lose all 3 of those guys, then things start to look more bleak.

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I didn’t have any problem with the Woodson tech. At some point that officiating got so bad that it needed to happen. 

You said it yourself...this team lacks talent at certain positions...and if you're talent isn't as good as the other teams, you cannot give points away...

I get that Coach Woody was frustrated with the officiating, , but he even said during the post game that he has to do a better job at keeping his composure...

Momentum is a powerful thing in sports...

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You said it yourself...this team lacks talent at certain positions...and if you're talent isn't as good as the other teams, you cannot give points away...

I get that Coach Woody was frustrated with the officiating, , but he even said during the post game that he has to do a better job at keeping his composure...

Momentum is a powerful thing in sports...

Agree to disagree. The issue at that point wasn’t a talent difference, it was a way the game was being officiated difference. And for a bit we did get a fair whistle after that and we cut the lead. 

I don't know enough about basketball to diagnose our offensive system, but I do recognize good offensive possessions when I see them(I think).  Movement off both players and the ball(inside-out and side-to-side) usually leads to good shots and often points.  If this team could make shots that are "makeable" at a better percentage, we would be close to 20 wins right now.  Our defense has been solid to excellent all year, which would only be helped if we put the ball through the hoop 6-8 more times per game. This would put more pressure on the other team while also helping keep our players motivated and focused on defense.  

Against MSU:

2FG%: 20/59 33.9%    

3FG%: 5/21 23.8%

FT%: 16/27 59.3%

What if:                                                      Season Average:             Top 50 in NCAA %

2FG%: 24/59 40.6%     +8pts                        45.9%                                46.82%

3FG%: 7/21 33.3%        +6pts                         33.9%                                36.48%

FT%: 19/27 70.4%        +3pts                         67.8%                                 75.05%

This is 17 more points for the good guys, and in theory, a few less points for the bad guys.  So, if we were able to shoot percentages in these three categories which are even top 50 nationally, we win. In my mind, this indicates that we are playing pretty good basketball with in all phases except hitting shots. 

• Like 2

I think Wisconsin is going to be a much better indicator of where this team is mentally. I mean, most of us weren’t expecting a win at MSU, you have the suspension thing still kind of hovering, and so forth. 

Yes, there are issues with this offense but we’re still playing very good defense (and we’re ridiculously unlucky on FT defense for some reason), Race and Bates both knocked down 3s, and XJ played well around the foul trouble until everything imploded at the end. Had a nice run to start the second half, too. 

Lose to Wisconsin at home and it might be panic button time. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Squarely on the bubble. 

We are on the bubble if we loose to whisky. If we win we are clearly in. Win any 4 of the remaining games and we are in. Win 3 and we might need one in the big ten tournament.

The whisky and Rutgers games will go a long way on selection Sunday. 

Trayce and Race have clear advantage inside over those teams. Mommy and Maryland we have already proved we can win both of those

XJ playing much better now than he did the first time as whisky. This team has its flaws but still is position to get to the dance. No reason to panic just yet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree. The issue at that point wasn’t a talent difference, it was a way the game was being officiated difference. And for a bit we did get a fair whistle after that and we cut the lead. 

I did notice that the refs seemed to start evening up the ticky tack foul calls on the perimeter, but it was too late at that point. The early calls forced us to bench players and altered our lineups. 

• Like 1