Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

The terrible call that should have been called a jump ball and Davis getting the NBA continuation were killers. Overall terrible officiating in sports is really taking the joy out of sports for me, they have too big of an outcome on games. As bad as those calls were the Hoosiers blew this game.

I've been up and down on my thoughts of Woodson as the coach, but lately my original opinion of him is starting to creep back in. A good coach has him team playing better as the season goes on, but this team is playing worse.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Woody is not, and has not been the problem. 

Lack of athletic wings and lack shooters is the problem. 

We get plenty of open looks. 

I like Woody, on the defensive side of the ball...   the other side is lacking.  The staff will hopefully figure things out as we go just like the players.  But in my opinion the staff has to be better at in game substitutions, rotations,  and an actual offense. I do understand that we need shooters 

• Like 2

Lots to unpack in this one…

1. We have a lack of talent at the guard and wing. It kills us. 

2. Our execution the last five minutes was atrocious. So, so many head scratching plays  

3. The officiating was atrocious. I could point out the foul discrepancy or the free throw discrepancy, but the two that killed us where the non-reviewable out of bounds call that wasn’t even conclusive (we never got a clear shot of the ball in bounds even though it probably was) and the continuation where Davis took four steps.

4. Tyra Buss has terrible taste in men. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Missing Phinisee is massive. It hurts our D especially, but also screws up our rotations offensively too. 

Our best lineup was always with XJ and Phinisee together. 

Yep...did you notice what they did when Lander was in? Got Chucky Hepburn the ball and cleared out... Khristian is just not strong enough in the upper body to take on kids like that...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Johnny Davis beat us single handily. How do you let a guy take over in your own gym in a game you have absolutely to win? 

Because of the people who were guarding him. It was down right comedy to see Kopp guarding him. I thought I was seeing things.

I think the frustrating part about all of this is we know this was the chance to make the tourney. Now with potential of no Race and TJD next year it could get worse. Not saying it will but it could. Do you let your freshmen have big minutes right away next year or do you try to bring in another wave of transfers that may or may not work. 

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yep...did you notice what they did when Lander was in? Got Chucky Hepburn the ball and cleared out... Khristian is just not strong enough in the upper body to take on kids like that...

I can live with him getting out muscled. He couldn’t even stay in front of him. Lander was SO BAD on defense tonight. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Lots to unpack in this one…

1. We have a lack of talent at the guard and wing. It kills us. 

2. Our execution the last five minutes was atrocious. So, so many head scratching plays  

3. The officiating was atrocious. I could point out the foul discrepancy or the free throw discrepancy, but the two that killed us where the non-reviewable out of bounds call that wasn’t even conclusive (we never got a clear shot of the ball in bounds even though it probably was) and the continuation where Davis took four steps.

4. Tyra Buss has terrible taste in men. 

1) very true.....and has been true for a number of years. 

2) not surprising.  We are an interior oriented team.... but our bigs aren't physically dominant enough to take over in crunch time.  And going back to #1.... every team in conference knows how to defend us.... force the backcourt to make plays. 

3 and 4) not relevant to why we still suck.  

• Sad 1

1.  Other coaches in the Big Ten:  “Just stay close with IU and we will always find a way to beat them.  Always.  IU has no idea how to make plays at crunch time and we do.”  How much you want to bet that every single coach in the Big Ten tells their team that?  

2.  IU isn’t going to go anywhere without wings who can cover a guy like Johnny Davis and go get buckets on the other end.  We just can’t handle explosive wings and we don’t have any wings that can just go get buckets.  The fact that we let Davis score every time down at crunch time yet we couldn’t score was just sad.  You’d think the staff would have done something with Davis defensively.  Matta?  Fife? Anyone?

3.  Bates is going to fall out of favor if he doesn’t get a game going beyond immediately chucking it up.  Yes, you need guys who can go get a bucket, but watch him.   He’s such an extreme.  The second he gets the ball, he’s shooting unless he simply can’t.  It’s embarrassing and it may get ugly for him if that doesn’t get corrected.  

4.  I have literally never posted about Tyra Banks. I couldn’t give less of a crap about her or who she’s dating.  Spare me.  Go date somebody in private like everyone else.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

I think the frustrating part about all of this is we know this was the chance to make the tourney. Now with potential of no Race and TJD next year it could get worse. Not saying it will but it could. Do you let your freshmen have big minutes right away next year or do you try to bring in another wave of transfers that may or may not work. 

Transfers have never been a road to winning in P5 BB. I understand how we are now operating in a different rule era... but beyond filling pehaps a single missing piece here or there... you aren't building a winning program on backs of transfers.  We have 3 in our starting lineup.... we really want to keep trying this over and over? 

Who was the last good transfer that played at IU? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

Transfers have never been a road to winning in P5 BB. I understand how we are now operating in a different rule era... but beyond filling pehaps a single missing piece here or there... you aren't building a winning program on backs of transfers.  We have 3 in our starting lineup.... we really want to keep trying this over and over? 

No doubt the only decent transfer is Biefeldt. But I rather take a few grad transfer then keeping some of these guys.

9 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

No doubt the only decent transfer is Biefeldt. But I rather take a few grad transfer then keeping some of these guys.

Max was a nice role player... but that is basically all you'll ever get from the transfer world.  That and guys with serious personality defects.  

It's not the answer.  The answer was using this season to show things were progressing...a tourney bid at the minimum.  Get some recruiting momentum. Instead it's been a team with plenty of seasoned players and experience embarrassing themselves again.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, twenty02 said:

There have been some very good transfers the last couple seasons, its just we havent had any. We have to do better with the portal going forward and I think we will with CMW not being rushed to fill spots. We dont need other teams trash.

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

There have been some very good transfers the last couple seasons, its just we havent had any. We have to do better with the portal going forward and I think we will with CMW not being rushed to fill spots. We dont need other teams trash.

Virginia got themselves a pretty nice wing transfer in A. Franklin this year. Sure as hell better than who we got from Northwestern.