Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We need to recruit guys who are winners and guys who hates to lose.  We need tough minded players who can work through adversity.  The question is how hard is that to find or see when you are mainly recruiting AAU games.

Interestingly, Galloway was a winner at the HS level.  He definitely shows a different mentality than most on the team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

Interestingly, Galloway was a winner at the HS level.  He definitely shows a different mentality than most on the team.

I watch the top teams and their mentality on the court is so much different than ours.  I just don't see many players that plays with confidence and some cockiness.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Speaking of winners, have any of the transfers who came in gone to the tournament or been on a team of that caliber at the college level? I don't believe anybody on the entire roster has been to the tournament. It's just kind of crazy to think about. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

These guys were all winners at the high school level. College, not so much

Xavier Johnson:

Johnson was a 2018 McDonald's All-American at Bishop O'Connell High School in Virginia. He led Bishop O’Connell to a 30-9 record and No. 5 state ranking as a senior while averaging 18.4 points, four rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He finished high school career with 1,034 points.

Miller Kopp:

In a game versus its rival, Houston Christian High School’s varsity boys basketball team won the SPC championship by 14 points with the final score of 67-53 against Episcopal High School. Houston Christian entered the championship tournament with more than 30 wins, and the coach, Ron Crandall, credits the team's success to its hard work and commitment to the small things.
“We’ve said all year that our goal this season is the daily pursuit of excellence, and if we focused on that mindset, the championship would take care of itself with the talent and skill on this team,” Crandall said. 
Houston Christian High School senior Jalon Clark was the high scorer of the game at 16 points, followed closely by junior Sahvir Wheeler at 15, and senior Miller Kopp at 13. Kopp is slated to play for Northwestern University upon graduation this May.

Parker Stewart:
He had a standout career at Union City High School, where he was coached by Shane Sisco.  He helped the Golden Tornadoes to an 81-25 record in his three-year tenure, including a 42-6 slate against district opponents.  He averaged 27.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.0 steals per contest as a senior. He was a TSSAA Division-I Class A Player of the Year finalist while also garnering Class A all-state and district MVP honors.  He averaged 21.0 points per game while shooting 51 percent from the floor and 39 percent from beyond the three-point arc as a junior, helping UCHS win the District 13-A championship.  Also helped the Golden Tornadoes to a 34-4 record, a Class A state championship game appearance and another district title as a sophomore in 2014-15.  He won an AAU national championship with King James Elite after his freshman season at Pickerington Central High School in Ohio and also played with Team Penny in the prestigious 2016 Nike Peach Jam, helping the squad go 14-2 on the Nike EYBL circuit.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Xavier Johnson:

Johnson was a 2018 McDonald's All-American at Bishop O'Connell High School in Virginia. He led Bishop O’Connell to a 30-9 record and No. 5 state ranking as a senior while averaging 18.4 points, four rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He finished high school career with 1,034 points.

Miller Kopp:

In a game versus its rival, Houston Christian High School’s varsity boys basketball team won the SPC championship by 14 points with the final score of 67-53 against Episcopal High School. Houston Christian entered the championship tournament with more than 30 wins, and the coach, Ron Crandall, credits the team's success to its hard work and commitment to the small things.
“We’ve said all year that our goal this season is the daily pursuit of excellence, and if we focused on that mindset, the championship would take care of itself with the talent and skill on this team,” Crandall said. 
Houston Christian High School senior Jalon Clark was the high scorer of the game at 16 points, followed closely by junior Sahvir Wheeler at 15, and senior Miller Kopp at 13. Kopp is slated to play for Northwestern University upon graduation this May.

Parker Stewart:
He had a standout career at Union City High School, where he was coached by Shane Sisco.  He helped the Golden Tornadoes to an 81-25 record in his three-year tenure, including a 42-6 slate against district opponents.  He averaged 27.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.0 steals per contest as a senior. He was a TSSAA Division-I Class A Player of the Year finalist while also garnering Class A all-state and district MVP honors.  He averaged 21.0 points per game while shooting 51 percent from the floor and 39 percent from beyond the three-point arc as a junior, helping UCHS win the District 13-A championship.  Also helped the Golden Tornadoes to a 34-4 record, a Class A state championship game appearance and another district title as a sophomore in 2014-15.  He won an AAU national championship with King James Elite after his freshman season at Pickerington Central High School in Ohio and also played with Team Penny in the prestigious 2016 Nike Peach Jam, helping the squad go 14-2 on the Nike EYBL circuit.

So much for winners.

51 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Xavier Johnson:

Miller Kopp:

Parker Stewart:

X was not a Burger Boy. He might have been a nominee, but he was like a 200+ recruit.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Here’s and something to think about. For example, over the past several decades we haven’t consistently been able to beat the likes of Ohio St. and Michigan State. Coach Matta’s Buckeye teams were loaded with talent and had the wins to prove it. Dane Fife was with Michigan State for 10 years and had his hand in recruiting  and coaching top talent for the Spartans. Both have been consistent,  winning programs all while IU has spent over 20+ years trying to find it’s way back. 
The point of my post is this,…..”We couldn’t beat ‘em so we brought ‘em to IU.” This entire coaching staff has been part of successful programs for years. When are the players in question going to take full responsibility for their constant shortcomings and get better? How much extra work do “some of these kids” put in on their own, outside of practice, shooting free throws, 3 pointers,  jump shots etc.? I’m not trying to single any player out, but there comes a time when a coach has encouraged, inspired, motivated and shown a player what needs to happen. It’s then on the player to dig within himself to find and produce those results if he wants it bad enough. 

Fully agree.  One example, in a nutshell, is FT shooting.  A Div I player shooting 65% or lower does whatever it takes to get better.  If he shoots 200 a day and still stinks, he shoots 400 a day.

When the same shortcomings occur, under different coaching staffs, it's quite probable that coaching isn't the problem.  In retrospect, Archie was abysmal at recruiting a competitive roster.  Woodson seems to be off to a much better start with HS players.  Portal players, not so much. lol

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Reading through some of the post.  They are starting to sound awfully familiar to what some were saying about Archie.  Like he needs shooters, he can’t make the shots for them, his offense needs a true point guard.  I also saw on Twitter from an IU columnist that IUs offensive efficiency is worse this year than any previous years.  Defense is the best it’s been though.  I’m afraid next year will be worse if we lose what we all anticipate.  Not giving up by any means on Woody because I like how he’s disciplined the guys, and even liked him getting into Stewart when he and Davidson were jawing. At some point though we gotta be able to shoot the damn ball

Hopefully we hit the portal hard and good a true PG, two athletic wings ehp can shoot and s athletic big

Besides that our roster looks great LOL!

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

We are flawed, but we dont lack talent.  What we do lack is a lot of the intangibles required to elevate a team to a level above their talent.

That was on total display last night in the last two minutes.

Exactly.  How many of Wisconsin players would start for IU? I think top to bottom IU has as much orore talent as the 3-6 teams in the BIG. they lack shooters, high IQ and a toughness to go get a bucket. No one has that you are not beating me tonight mentality. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly.  How many of Wisconsin players would start for IU? I think top to bottom IU has as much orore talent as the 3-6 teams in the BIG. they lack shooters, high IQ and a toughness to go get a bucket. No one has that you are not beating me tonight mentality. 

“Mr. Galloway, reporting for duty, Sir!”

I would say Trey is on an Island all by himself with this IU roster.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

X was not a Burger Boy. He might have been a nominee, but he was like a 200+ recruit.

Correct, he was a nominee:

Prep/Personal
Played at Bishop O’Connell for head coach Joe Wooten ... finished high school career with 1,034 points … led Bishop O’Connell to a 30-9 record and No. 5 state ranking as a senior ... averaged 18.4 points, 4.0 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game … led the team to championship game appearances in the Virginia Independent Schools State Tournament and Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament … received Washington Catholic Athletic Conference Player of the Year honors ... also named first team All-Metro by Washington Posta 2018 McDonald’s All-American nominee … named first team all-state by the Virginia Independent School Athletic Association … selected Most Outstanding Player at the Alhambra Catholic Invitational Tournament

• Thanks 1

Just now, Artesian_86 said:

“Mr. Galloway, reporting for duty, Sir!”

I would say Trey is on an Island all by himself with this IU roster.

He has the mentality for sure high iq just not the shooting part. Outside of him I just don't see it. Those are attributes that you seldom see in AAU and why I feel it is so important to watch these kids in high school games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He has the mentality for sure high iq just not the shooting part. Outside of him I just don't see it. Those are attributes that you seldom see in AAU and why I feel it is so important to watch these kids in high school games.

I guess I’m basing it merely on his defensive skill set. IMO, he’s THAT important to IU right now. He’s a prototypical, “give it everything I’ve got and more”, when he’s on the floor. If he had an equitable offensive side to go along with his defense, then he would be dangerous. 

• Like 1