Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Exactly.  How many of Wisconsin players would start for IU? I think top to bottom IU has as much orore talent as the 3-6 teams in the BIG. they lack shooters, high IQ and a toughness to go get a bucket. No one has that you are not beating me tonight mentality. 

Wisky may not recruit highly ranked players, but they are exceptional at developing players. Every year, they have guys who barely played, or were role players, in prior seasons who step in and contribute at a high level.

Johnny Davis may be a rare exception, but he was a 3 star, ranked #168. Last year he averaged 7 & 4. This year 21 & 8.

Think of this. Rob Phinisee was a 4 star, ranked #135, and averaged 7 & 3 as a Freshman.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He has the mentality for sure high iq just not the shooting part. Outside of him I just don't see it. Those are attributes that you seldom see in AAU and why I feel it is so important to watch these kids in high school games.

I guess I’m basing it merely on his defensive skill set. IMO, he’s THAT important to IU right now. He’s a prototypical, “give it everything I’ve got and more”, when he’s on the floor. If he had an equitable offensive side to go along with his defense, then he would be dangerous. 

The whole is greater than the sum of its parts for many but it seems to be the opposite AT IU 

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wisky may not recruit highly ranked players, but they are exceptional at developing players. Every year, they have guys who barely played, or were role players, in prior seasons who step in and contribute at a high level.

Johnny Davis may be a rare exception, but he was a 3 star, ranked #168. Last year he averaged 7 & 4. This year 21 & 8.

Think of this. Rob Phinisee was a 4 star, ranked #135, and averaged 7 & 3 as a Freshman.

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Reading through some of the post.  They are starting to sound awfully familiar to what some were saying about Archie.  Like he needs shooters, he can’t make the shots for them, his offense needs a true point guard.  I also saw on Twitter from an IU columnist that IUs offensive efficiency is worse this year than any previous years.  Defense is the best it’s been though.  I’m afraid next year will be worse if we lose what we all anticipate.  Not giving up by any means on Woody because I like how he’s disciplined the guys, and even liked him getting into Stewart when he and Davidson were jawing. At some point though we gotta be able to shoot the damn ball

Pretty hard to blame a first year coach for what he inherited.

If we don’t address the shooting over the coming cycles then sure, blame Woody, but until then give the man some time. 

• Like 3

I know we are all unhappy with how the season is playing out.  For me I rather have a bad IU game than no IU game at all. In a month or two college basketball will be over and won't have any to watch.  Even though I don't think the game is as good as it use to be, I still enjoy watching college basketball.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I enjoy the debate and your perspective as always. Last thing I will say because I'm beginning to beat a dead horse.....

Would we have even been in last night's end of game situation if (for example) we didn't consume 5-6 minutes with a line-up who didn't have a legitimate scoring threat on the floor? I'm not disputing your point about shooting, but just emphasizing that it was not the only reason we lost last night. Wins and losses are a result of many factors, each deserving of their own praises and criticisms. 

And to @Hoosier51's point: 'Talent' is relative, so we need to put it in context. The two 'in context' questions about talent that I can't shake are:

1. Do we have better talent on this year's roster vs. last year's? 

2. Do we have enough talent to make the tournament? 

My answer is 'yes' to both of those questions. So, if we follow the same trajectory as last year and don't make the tournament, we can't solely blame a lack of talent. TJD is on the mid-season Naismith list. Race is one of best two way players in the B1G. One week ago some were lauding XJ as one fo the best point guards in the B1G. Most teams have talent gaps in their roster, but good coaches find ways to cover up these deficiencies. At some point the narrative needs to be that we are underachieving. I don't find joy in saying this, but it does. 

Agree with this. I think Coach Knight would say a missed layup in the first half counts just as much as one missed in the last two minutes. I was thinking about that when Galloway missed an easy layup at the first half buzzer. if he hits that we have two more points heading into our dive at the end.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I like Woodson too but if we don’t make the dance this season it’s going to be nearly impossible for him to ever recover.  It’s just the way it is with this fan base when you hire a coach with no track record at the college level whatsoever .  He’s just never going to get the benefit of the doubt when things go south.  The apathy is here and the part where the fans start rooting for loses to pile up is almost here.  Sad.

Is this a stock post for you?  You just change the name from Crean, to Miller, to Woodson, to.....and just re-post.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

These guys were all winners at the high school level. College, not so much

Xavier Johnson:

Johnson was a 2018 McDonald's All-American at Bishop O'Connell High School in Virginia. He led Bishop O’Connell to a 30-9 record and No. 5 state ranking as a senior while averaging 18.4 points, four rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He finished high school career with 1,034 points.

Miller Kopp:

In a game versus its rival, Houston Christian High School’s varsity boys basketball team won the SPC championship by 14 points with the final score of 67-53 against Episcopal High School. Houston Christian entered the championship tournament with more than 30 wins, and the coach, Ron Crandall, credits the team's success to its hard work and commitment to the small things.
“We’ve said all year that our goal this season is the daily pursuit of excellence, and if we focused on that mindset, the championship would take care of itself with the talent and skill on this team,” Crandall said. 
Houston Christian High School senior Jalon Clark was the high scorer of the game at 16 points, followed closely by junior Sahvir Wheeler at 15, and senior Miller Kopp at 13. Kopp is slated to play for Northwestern University upon graduation this May.

Parker Stewart:
He had a standout career at Union City High School, where he was coached by Shane Sisco.  He helped the Golden Tornadoes to an 81-25 record in his three-year tenure, including a 42-6 slate against district opponents.  He averaged 27.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.0 steals per contest as a senior. He was a TSSAA Division-I Class A Player of the Year finalist while also garnering Class A all-state and district MVP honors.  He averaged 21.0 points per game while shooting 51 percent from the floor and 39 percent from beyond the three-point arc as a junior, helping UCHS win the District 13-A championship.  Also helped the Golden Tornadoes to a 34-4 record, a Class A state championship game appearance and another district title as a sophomore in 2014-15.  He won an AAU national championship with King James Elite after his freshman season at Pickerington Central High School in Ohio and also played with Team Penny in the prestigious 2016 Nike Peach Jam, helping the squad go 14-2 on the Nike EYBL circuit.

Don't bother us with the facts.  We'd prefer to just make things up as we go along.

• Haha 1

Chiming in on the talent thing. I don't care about recruiting stars, individual talent, high school wins, or what we are compared to last year right now. 

I'm looking at the pieces this team has. Woodson is going to have to dig his way out of a roster management mess. 

Again, I don't mean recruiting rankings or how many stars are next to guys names. 

I'm talking about how the pieces fit together as a team. Archie built a very poorly constructed roster from a skill standpoint. 

I could list it position group by position group, but the reality is we're an inside out team with players having only one specific skill, in a guard/wing game dominated by multi-skilled players. 

The pieces don't fit. Woodson even said this subtly from the beginning by talking about how he's always had bigs that could shoot, and how he was one of the first coaches on the NBA who's team shot a ton of 3's. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

These guys were all winners at the high school level. College, not so much

Xavier Johnson:

Johnson was a 2018 McDonald's All-American at Bishop O'Connell High School in Virginia. He led Bishop O’Connell to a 30-9 record and No. 5 state ranking as a senior while averaging 18.4 points, four rebounds and 4.3 assists per game. He finished high school career with 1,034 points.

Miller Kopp:

In a game versus its rival, Houston Christian High School’s varsity boys basketball team won the SPC championship by 14 points with the final score of 67-53 against Episcopal High School. Houston Christian entered the championship tournament with more than 30 wins, and the coach, Ron Crandall, credits the team's success to its hard work and commitment to the small things.
“We’ve said all year that our goal this season is the daily pursuit of excellence, and if we focused on that mindset, the championship would take care of itself with the talent and skill on this team,” Crandall said. 
Houston Christian High School senior Jalon Clark was the high scorer of the game at 16 points, followed closely by junior Sahvir Wheeler at 15, and senior Miller Kopp at 13. Kopp is slated to play for Northwestern University upon graduation this May.

Parker Stewart:
He had a standout career at Union City High School, where he was coached by Shane Sisco.  He helped the Golden Tornadoes to an 81-25 record in his three-year tenure, including a 42-6 slate against district opponents.  He averaged 27.6 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.0 steals per contest as a senior. He was a TSSAA Division-I Class A Player of the Year finalist while also garnering Class A all-state and district MVP honors.  He averaged 21.0 points per game while shooting 51 percent from the floor and 39 percent from beyond the three-point arc as a junior, helping UCHS win the District 13-A championship.  Also helped the Golden Tornadoes to a 34-4 record, a Class A state championship game appearance and another district title as a sophomore in 2014-15.  He won an AAU national championship with King James Elite after his freshman season at Pickerington Central High School in Ohio and also played with Team Penny in the prestigious 2016 Nike Peach Jam, helping the squad go 14-2 on the Nike EYBL circuit.

None of them won like TG and Leal did in HS. 

XJ was not a MCDAA. 

• Like 1