Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Chiming in on the talent thing. I don't care about recruiting stars, individual talent, high school wins, or what we are compared to last year right now. 

I'm looking at the pieces this team has. Woodson is going to have to dig his way out of a roster management mess. 

Again, I don't mean recruiting rankings or how many stars are next to guys names. 

I'm talking about how the pieces fit together as a team. Archie built a very poorly constructed roster from a skill standpoint. 

I could list it position group by position group, but the reality is we're an inside out team with players having only one specific skill, in a guard/wing game dominated by multi-skilled players. 

The pieces don't fit. Woodson even said this subtly from the beginning by talking about how he's always had bigs that could shoot, and how he was one of the first coaches on the NBA who's team shot a ton of 3's. 

I think you are right.  Nest year we have Gunn, Banks, and Hood-Schifino (sp) coming in.  Do you think that will help?  Or does CMW have to do more like go to the portal?  Right now I don't see how we are much better if TJD leaves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, slojoe said:

I think you are right.  Nest year we have Gunn, Banks, and Hood-Schifino (sp) coming in.  Do you think that will help?  Or does CMW have to do more like go to the portal?  Right now I don't see how we are much better if TJD leaves.

I think that helps, assuming Hood-Schifino is the real deal right away and continued improvement from Bates, Galloway and Geronimo. 

I think Woodson will still need to hit the portal for an experienced wing that can shoot but also handle/penetrate, and then assuming TJD leaves we'll need an athletic big that can rebound, defend, run the floor and be effective in the PnR game. 

We don't need a big to replace TJD offensively. My hope is that we'll be much improved at the wings and guards, so we'd almost be restructuring, as in not playing through the post. 

• Like 7

On 2/16/2022 at 8:41 AM, DC2345 said:

This team is missing Rob Phinisee in the worst way. He has had his issues but he was finally starting to produce and had been the teams best perimeter defender. Not to mention he helped get the ball out of X’s hands. 

This times 1000!  I will be the first to say I dogged on him a lot early this season but it’s clear this team needs him.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, slojoe said:

If Trayce and Race are gone next season Woodson definitely needs to bring an impact player or three in with the portal. Those guys coming in will be good players for the Hoosiers but they are freshman so you can't completely rely on them. 

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think that helps, assuming Hood-Schifino is the real deal right away and continued improvement from Bates, Galloway and Geronimo. 

I think Woodson will still need to hit the portal for an experienced wing that can shoot but also handle/penetrate, and then assuming TJD leaves we'll need an athletic big that can rebound, defend, run the floor and be effective in the PnR game. 

We don't need a big to replace TJD offensively. My hope is that we'll be much improved at the wings and guards, so we'd almost be restructuring, as in not playing through the post. 

Switching the offense to more perimeter oriented style will help the flow. No need to replace trayce  with a big that can score. Just get a big that can. Defend and rebound. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Switching the offense to more perimeter oriented style will help the flow. No need to replace trayce  with a big that can score. Just get a big that can. Defend and rebound. 

Completely agree. I love TJD and actually think he could fill that role (of course he would still score) but we can't have, and I don't think Woodson wants, a post dominated offense moving forward. 

He's going to have to upgrade our wing and guard talent quite a bit though, whether through development, recruiting and/or the portal. I don't think we're massively far off there, but Hood-Schifino needs to be the real deal and we'll need quite a bit of development out of Bates and Galloway (really just shooting). 

Hoping we can add another combo guard shot-maker in the portal as well. 

• Like 6

I will state the obvious! Every really good basketball team has a great Point Guard and scoring forwards. Which makes the avg big man really good. 
Every great football team has a really good QB! He gets the ball the the players on the team that make plays! 

So yes I would agree we are getting better ,but Woodson needs to find some really good shooters. Bates, Galloway Leah. Need to show us they were what we thought they were when we recruited them! 
If I was a freshmen coming in next year and I wanted playing time. I would work my butt off developing my shot and ball handling skills. Find out from Woodson who I need to work with to develop my shot and ball handling. 
These freshman coming in have had their way in high school. Once you starting playing in the Big Ten you’ll find out your not all that anymore. So you better be ready! 

I wonder if a final summer working on fundamentals and basketball IQ, would be better then play AAU just running up an down the court.? 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. I love TJD and actually think he could fill that role (of course he would still score) but we can't have, and I don't think Woodson wants, a post dominated offense moving forward. 

He's going to have to upgrade our wing and guard talent quite a bit though, whether through development, recruiting and/or the portal. I don't think we're massively far off there, but Hood-Schifino needs to be the real deal and we'll need quite a bit of development out of Bates and Galloway (really just shooting). 

Hoping we can add another combo guard shot-maker in the portal as well. 

I think Bates will be the shooter of the bunch...I know Gunn's high school numbers are good, but he looks like he needs a year of physical development  to play in the Big 10. JHS has a college ready body, but he's better as a facilitator and dribble drive/mid range guy...His outside shot is by all accounts "a work in progress." All of the "highlights" I see on Banks are dunks and inside moves...No idea how his outside game is...And I'm wary about trusting freshmen to be big contributors anyway...

But I'm sure wings and guards will be out there in droves via the portal...Look what Minnesota picked up in Battle and Willis and think how much those two would have helped us this year... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Bates will be the shooter of the bunch...I know Gunn's high school numbers are good, but he looks like he needs a year of physical development  to play in the Big 10. JHS has a college ready body, but he's better as a facilitator and dribble drive/mid range guy...His outside shot is by all accounts "a work in progress." All of the "highlights" I see on Banks are dunks and inside moves...No idea how his outside game is...And I'm wary about trusting freshmen to be big contributors anyway...

But I'm sure wings and guards will be out there in droves via the portal...Look what Minnesota picked up in Battle and Willis and think how much those two would have helped us this year... 

I think if Bates is just an off the bench shooter next year then that is probably a disappointment for everyone (him, the staff, etc). Not saying you're wrong, just that it would be disappointing. 

For JHS, if he can hit the midrange consistently as a freshmen, then I think that works. We just can't have him come in and only be a scorer at the rim. Needs to be some type of threat from the perimeter. 

But yes, the staff will need to hit the portal for guards/wings. 

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think if Bates is just an off the bench shooter next year then that is probably a disappointment for everyone (him, the staff, etc). Not saying you're wrong, just that it would be disappointing. 

For JHS, if he can hit the midrange consistently as a freshmen, then I think that works. We just can't have him come in and only be a scorer at the rim. Needs to be some type of threat from the perimeter. 

But yes, the staff will need to hit the portal for guards/wings. 

No, and it's my fault for not clarifying, I meant if we have someone who could turn into a Johnny Davis on the roster now, I think it would be Tamar...I didn't mean to pigeon hole him into just a shooter...but more a 3 level scorer...

• Like 1