Wisconsin Post Game

5fouls

I have to admit, I didn't expect a win last night.  And unfortunately, it now appears that just like last year we will be missing the NCAAT yet again.  However, I still think there is some improvement over the CAM years.

1.  D is unquestionably better under CMW

2.  O is simply missing outside shooters.  For the life of me, I can't understand the inabliity for our D1 athletes to be so persistently unable to make an outside shot of 10-15ft much less a 3 on a reliable basis.  Open shots are available in O but simply missed on a regular basis.  How is this possible with so many years of coaching, practice, and God given athletic ability.  At some point, aren't you embarrassed at your ineptness?

3.  Seems to me, we are simply 2-3 reliable outside shooters away from being a very competitive team again. 

Edited by FWIUFan
Unfinished thoughts
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

3 of our last 4 losses are from teams that are better then us, I think ILL is a lot better. Northwestern game its pretty fair to throw that game out out of any equation. 

Didnt like our last possession last night. Obviously no one associated with our basketball team did either. 

Being up 22 and losing bothers me more than this game. We were solid as s*** last night. We just lost. Things to correct, no doubt, but the other team is trying to win, as well. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I’ve said it a million times but with the IU fan base being what it is you must hire a coach with street cred.  Someone who is one of top 10-15 X’s and O’s guy in college basketball and with the results to prove it.  Someone who has the resume to shut up the fans when things go astray for a bit.  No one else will ever succeed here.

Unfortunately the disconnect between the administration and the fans is so massive I’m not sure there’s ever a real solution.  There’s only one guy out there that would satisfy both the fans and the administration and he’s not interested.  The administration is too incompetent to hire a Pearl, Drew, Marshall, Pitino, etc.  It will just never happen.  I’m afraid we’re stuck in permanent purgatory.

We are 20+ games into year one of CMW. iT may take 3 years to flip this roster. This post is really stupid. Just because you can type it you dont have to hit send.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, rico said:

In your scenario, we would have to get a young coach that is unproven at this level.

I think the plan is for Woodson to coach 5-6 years and get it turned around. Then think it would be Fife to take over when Woodson retires.  If this doesn't work then would they still hire Fife in that scenario.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, jv1972iu said:

So glad to see you mention "flip this roster".  I really believe that is key.  

You cannot go into these jobs anymore and tell people "prepare to suck for 3 or 4 years..."  You just can't.  You have to figure out a way to win with what you have early on so you can build on it.  Even with all of this team's deficiencies, this should be a tournament team. 

One thing I will absolutely take Woodson to task for is that stupid NBA mass substitution we do in every game.  It rarely if ever works out and on the off times it did seem to somewhat work out we were bringing in Galloway and Phinisee as part of that second group.  

Matta, Fife, or someone needs to get ahold of him and stress behind closed doors that he does not have a full NBA roster anymore.  That philosophy is not going to work unless we have a significant talent upgrade at every position.

• Like 2

This is not a knock on our current coaching staff but more of an observation of what we've seen for the better part of 20 years with this program, in fact this has been brought up a few times by the media and it's a great question. Why is it so hard for IUBB to jumpstart? We see Mick Cronin in 1 year take UCLA to the Final Four, we see Tommy Lloyd take Arizona back to the top 10 in his first year after 3 very mediocre years, Sampson win 20 games after 1 year at Houston after decades of being a terrible program, Pitino take Iona to the Big Dance in year 1 and the list goes on. 

What's the answer?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You cannot go into these jobs anymore and tell people "prepare to suck for 3 or 4 years..."  You just can't.  You have to figure out a way to win with what you have early on so you can build on it.  Even with all of this team's deficiencies, this should be a tournament team. 

One thing I will absolutely take Woodson to task for is that stupid NBA mass substitution we do in every game.  It rarely if ever works out and on the off times it did seem to somewhat work out we were bringing in Galloway and Phinisee as part of that second group.  

Matta, Fife, or someone needs to get ahold of him and stress behind closed doors that he does not have a full NBA roster anymore.  That philosophy is not going to work unless we have a significant talent upgrade at every position.

He has to realize the other team is not taking out all their starters so we can't be playing 5 reserves against 3 starters

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

This is not a knock on our current coaching staff but more of an observation of what we've seen for the better part of 20 years with this program, in fact this has been brought up a few times by the media and it's a great question. Why is it so hard for IUBB to jumpstart? We see Mick Cronin in 1 year take UCLA to the Final Four, we see Tommy Lloyd take Arizona back to the top 10 in his first year after 3 very mediocre years, Sampson win 20 games after 1 year at Houston after decades of being a terrible program, Pitino take Iona to the Big Dance in year 1 and the list goes on. 

What's the answer?

The thing about UCLA last year was that they were a 11 seed and playing in the play in game.  They got hot for 3 weeks, so it is not like they dominated last year.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

What's the answer?

I don't know the answer, I like the question but what we get are excuses and for 2 years I fought the good fight about no matter how valid and excuse might be it is still an excuse. That's all we have heard for 20 plus years. No excuses,  no explanations just get the job done.

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

What's the answer?

One factor.. None of those teams are in the Big Ten. Did any of those conferences have anything close to the level of competition that the Big Ten does? I would argue that it's not even close

This will sound like blasphemy to some of you. I live in the Southern part of the state bordering KY. And they are, and always will be my most hated team. I have to say, i think I hate Wisconsin more than Purdue. 

It was another frustrating game in a run of frustrating games. This always happens when the fanbase realizes we are not very good. The biggest frustration for me: watching another guy on the other team hitting contested jumpers and then hitting the shots they are “supposed” to hit, while watching our guys miss wide-open- potentially-game-breaking shots on a consistent basis. And the bunnies. And the free throws. I wish someone could figure out how drastically different the last few years could have been, had we just been able to hit a few daggers. The world will never know

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Hopefully we flip with some guys that can knock down some shots. Otherwise we could smack it up, flip it, rub it down and still get the same results

I have to believe that Coach Woodson and his staff are acutely aware of our lack of shooting ability.

Edited by jv1972iu
  • Like 1