Positive

Our best/easiest route to "success" next year would be TJD and RT come back. RT keeps developing and instead of 2 3pt attempts in a game, he's shooting closer to 3.5 or 4. 

JG develops and we have some roster turnover. Just how I see it, for next year. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I was on campus for those last few years and the thing that we lacked was interior play, particularly athletic interior play.  Haston was just starting to blossom when Knight was fired and he had landed Jefferies, Newton, and to a lesser degree George Leach.  We had a good system and a few pretty darn good guards we were just running William Gladness and Larry Richardson out there in the post and they were undersized and just more role players.

I will say this, you look at the roster for 1998-1999 and I guarantee you that every coach we have had since Knight, except maybe Sampson, would not have won as many games.

Why did Knight have a roster so poor 25 years into his time at Indiana? 

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I was on campus for those last few years and the thing that we lacked was interior play, particularly athletic interior play.  Haston was just starting to blossom when Knight was fired and he had landed Jefferies, Newton, and to a lesser degree George Leach.  We had a good system and a few pretty darn good guards we were just running William Gladness and Larry Richardson out there in the post and they were undersized and just more role players.

I will say this, you look at the roster for 1998-1999 and I guarantee you that every coach we have had since Knight, except maybe Sampson, would not have won as many games.

I remember scary Larry, you are right that we didn't end up with good post players.  You would have thought when we had two McDonald's AA guys at the 4-5 position with Patterson and Collier we would have been set.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So why was anyone upset that he was not retained? 

I actually was ready for a change two years before he was let go.  I remember being new to Peegs and was not accepted very well because I suggested it was time for a change. One poster Gorjko wanted to meet me and kick my butt.  He was a huge RMK supporter and when RMK was fired he went nuts.

Edited by IU Scott

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Simple, he was a legend. A lot of IN fans had never set foot on campus. To them, RMK was Indiana basketball. They identified with him and despised Myles Brand. I remember seeing a lot of old guys around IN wearing TX Tech hats after RMK went there. 

Which was hilarious. I remember being in 6th grade laughing at adults for that. 

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think the question around that is what are reasonable expectations for this to happen? The transfer portal and the (perceived) ease of plugging holes using it, does that accelerate the amount of time expected to turn things around? The portal is almost like free agency in a way.

Coach Woodson in my opinion doesn't have the typical 4 or 5 years some coaches have to turn things around. With the portal and his age and experience people are going to expect a lot quicker turn around, whether warranted or not. If the Hoosiers miss the tourney this season and next, then sitting on the bubble by year three it could get toxic fast.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand. If the results were substandard before he left. Some said for 4 or 5 years? What was taking so long to move on? 

Substandard is relative. They still made the tourney every year. Can't fire a HOF coach for performance who's winning 20 games a year and making the NCAAT. They had to create an environment where he would do something off the court to merit dismissal - "i.e. zero tolerance policy"

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand. If the results were substandard before he left. Some said for 4 or 5 years? What was taking so long to move on? 

Same reason a lot of teams have trouble firing a legend.  You hope that it ends like coach K where he is still winning but if he wasn't it would be hard to fire him.  Also height have struggled at the end but he finished in the top 6 on the big ten and made the tournament every year. In the last 6 years he lost in the first round 4 times and second round twice.  For his standards it is not good but compared to our last 20 years it would be good

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Substandard for him, maybe...

But he had also assembled the team that went to the 2002 finals, so the talent was there...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just my opinion but if RMK was still the coach we wouldn't have went to the championship game.

Fair...but the counterpoint would be "he would have won one more game." 

But the main point is it wasn't like he wasn't attracting top talent...Jared Jeffries was a top flight kid

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

A few reasons IMO, one, the scandal and perception/reality of how he coached his team had caught up to him and two, by his own admission, he had kind of mailed it in when it came to recruiting for several years in the mid to late nineties.

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He went fishing instead of recruiting. He lost a big that went to Kansas, Raef LaFrentz, number 3 pick in the 98 draft because he wouldnt go visit him because he had a fishing trip. DD says this was just one of many.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

You have to realize what substandard meant in those days...about 20 wins and a trip to the NCAA tournament.  The guy went to the NCAA tournament basically every year from the mid 80's to the day he was fired.  He had also finally picked up recruiting before he was fired.  Like I said in an earlier post, Newton and Leach were added the year before he was fired IIRC.  We had just had a pretty decent year with Haston, Guyton, and Lewis that came up short in the tournament.  Haston was hobbled in that last game against Pepperdine.  So there was enough still happening to keep the majority of the fanbase around to see if a HoF, 3 time NCAA title holder had a bit more in him.

Knight's failures at the end of his tenure are now THE goal for most of us the past 7 or 8 years.  I would lay money that Knight, circa 1998/99 would have gotten just about every team we have had over the past 15 years into the tournament that missed it.  Not those first Crean teams where we were running walk ons out there, but the majority of the others.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Substandard is relative. They still made the tourney every year. Can't fire a HOF coach for performance who's winning 20 games a year and making the NCAAT. They had to create an environment where he would do something off the court to merit dismissal - "i.e. zero tolerance policy"

Seems like Indiana should have came out ahead. 

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

A few reasons IMO, one, the scandal and perception/reality of how he coached his team had caught up to him and two, by his own admission, he had kind of mailed it in when it came to recruiting for several years in the mid to late nineties.

I think by that time parents and players no longer wanted to play for a hard ass who still disciplined players.

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He went fishing instead of recruiting. He lost a big that went to Kansas, Raef LaFrentz, number 3 pick in the 98 draft because he wouldnt go visit him because he had a fishing trip. DD says this was just one of many.

DD said with Lafrentz that their family was in Bloomington and the coaches were filming Blue Chips.  RMK was supposed to meet with the family but made them wait around until around midnight.  Also said with Jachua Vaughn the coaches thought they had him but when Vaughn said he wanted to visit UM RMK stopped recruiting him.

• Like 1