Positive

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

DD said with Lafrentz that their family was in Bloomington and the coaches were filming Blue Chips.  RMK was supposed to meet with the family but made them wait around until around midnight.  Also said with Jachua Vaughn the coaches thought they had him but when Vaughn said he wanted to visit UM RMK stopped recruiting him.

I never heard the Blue Chips story. Interesting. Vaughn I had heard. Knight threatened DD with the same thing when DD told him he wanted to visit UM.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Like I said it is just my opinion but  two years under RMK he was afraid to shoot.  Coverdale never got playing time and I heard him even say that he had no confidence when playing for RMK.

The fact is, RMK was fired. We can suppose all kinds of scenarios, but no one knows...the main point, again, that @btownqb asking why we had such a poor roster 25 years into Knights tenure... We didn't have a poor roster... We had talent... It just didn't pan out...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

The fact is, RMK was fired. We can suppose all kinds of scenarios, but no one knows...the main point, again, that @btownqb asking why we had such a poor roster 25 years into Knights tenure... We didn't have a poor roster... We had talent... It just didn't pan out...

That's not the story that was given earlier in this thread. 

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So why was anyone upset that he was not retained? 

I think there was a significant % of the fan base that arrived at the opinion that it was time for a change over those last 4-5 years. It would have been great if RMK made that decision and started grooming someone (not named Pat) to be his successor and handover the keys but it just didn't happen that way. The administration forced the issue, put in what I'm sure they were thinking was an interim coach who they then were stuck with because he took the team to the championship game. The "death spiral" then ensued. 

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually was ready for a change two years before he was let go.  I remember being new to Peegs and was not accepted very well because I suggested it was time for a change. One poster Gorjko wanted to meet me and kick my butt.  He was a huge RMK supporter and when RMK was fired he went nuts.

And Gorjka was never heard from again…

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Same reason a lot of teams have trouble firing a legend.  You hope that it ends like coach K where he is still winning but if he wasn't it would be hard to fire him.  Also height have struggled at the end but he finished in the top 6 on the big ten and made the tournament every year. In the last 6 years he lost in the first round 4 times and second round twice.  For his standards it is not good but compared to our last 20 years it would be good

If only you guys had Shoe company’s with bags of cash….

When you have a legend and a all time great coach the end had to be handled correctly.  The problem at IU it didn't end well and seemed to put a curse on IU.  Keady is not an all time great but at the end they had a good succession plan.  They brought in Painter a year early and all he did that year was go out and recruit.  That year was the year they got Hummel, Johnson and Moore.

I look at Syracuse and it is probably about time for Boheim to be replaced.  You don't here about them firing him do they are going to let him go out on his terms.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Knight's failures at the end of his tenure are now THE goal for most of us the past 7 or 8 years.  I would lay money that Knight, circa 1998/99 would have gotten just about every team we have had over the past 15 years into the tournament that missed it.  Not those first Crean teams where we were running walk ons out there, but the majority of the others

Great post....

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rico said:

When Damon Bailey walked off the court for the last time is my time marker for the start of the futility.  I try to remain positive, but it ain't working so well after all these years minus a few "hiccups."

One of my all time favorite players at IU. Everything about him exuded hard work, dedication and commitment to everything IU.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand. If the results were substandard before he left. Some said for 4 or 5 years? What was taking so long to move on? 

We have missed the tournament more times in the past 10 years than we did during his 30 year tenure. Making the tournament and losing 1st rd games was substandard but look at where we are now. If CMW gets us in the tourney they will probably hang a banner. When the expectation are so high based on past success for Knight there was no way to go but down from there

• Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

One of my all time favorite players at IU. Everything about him exuded hard work, dedication and commitment to everything IU.

And Bailey is a great example of how RMK's attitude towards recruiting changed in those last several years. I was at a Seymour regional Bailey's freshman year and remember the buzz because Knight was there in person to watch him. He was sitting on a metal folding chair in the corner of the upper deck walkway. 

Crap!! Now I just feel old 😔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The problem is that we had 3 McDonald's AA transfer in a 3 year period, Recker, Collier and Reid. Andre Patterson never was consistent and never maximized his great talent.

Those transfers really hurt. Charlie Miller, similar to Patterson, never lived up to hype. We also had a string of bigs who couldn't play at the B1G level - Mandeville, Eggers, etc.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have missed the tournament more times in the past 10 years than we did during his 30 year tenure. Making the tournament and losing 1st rd games was substandard but look at where we are now. If CMW gets us in the tourney they will probably hang a banner. When the expectation are so high based on past success for Knight there was no way to go but down from there

I'm surprised we didn't hang a banner after beating Purdue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

So, we have been substandard since 1993. Not since he was fired. 

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

He went fishing instead of recruiting. He lost a big that went to Kansas, Raef LaFrentz, number 3 pick in the 98 draft because he wouldnt go visit him because he had a fishing trip. DD says this was just one of many.

Jacque Vaughn would have come as well. With those 2 and the talent that was at IU they hang at least 1 more banner

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I never heard the Blue Chips story. Interesting. Vaughn I had heard. Knight threatened DD with the same thing when DD told him he wanted to visit UM.

Because they were dirty and he knew that he did not want to be involved with players that listened to UM or UK and some others. Those 2 were far from the only players that he stopped recruiting or gave an ultimatum to

• Like 1