Positive

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So, we have been substandard since 1993. Not since he was fired. 

To a certain extent yes. Like others have said there us a 4 or 5 year period where Knight considered hanging it up or moving on to a new school and gave up some of the control. The admin passes him off so he came back with a vengeance at the end that they were going to get back to high quality character kids that he picked and were willing to put up with him. The Patrersons and Milkers etc were so talented but could not handle knight. In the past those guys would not have made it to IU because Knight would have let them know just how much of an ass he is. The assistants just wanted to deliver good players

14 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

And Bailey is a great example of how RMK's attitude towards recruiting changed in those last several years. I was at a Seymour regional Bailey's freshman year and remember the buzz because Knight was there in person to watch him. He was sitting on a metal folding chair in the corner of the upper deck walkway. 

Crap!! Now I just feel old 😔

Knight was in the gym at North Decatur many years ago. When the game was over the AD had the maintenance guy cut out that piece of bleacher and then had Cisco sign it a couple years later. To almost all high school coaches in Indiana Knight waa a huge deal and when he showed up it was special 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

To a certain extent yes. Like others have said there us a 4 or 5 year period where Knight considered hanging it up or moving on to a new school and gave up some of the control. The admin passes him off so he came back with a vengeance at the end that they were going to get back to high quality character kids that he picked and were willing to put up with him. The Patrersons and Milkers etc were so talented but could not handle knight. In the past those guys would not have made it to IU because Knight would have let them know just how much of an ass he is. The assistants just wanted to deliver good players

And he still made the tournament.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's not good enough. Crean did that in 3 of 5 years and was fired. 

Crean's (and Davis, and eventually Woodson...excluding Samson for obvious reasons) expectations were based on the bar Knight set...Rarely is the one who actually set the bar judged by its high point...

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's not good enough. Crean did that in 3 of 5 years and was fired. 

The two years before that we made the final four and the elite 8.  The sweet 16 was the high water mark for Crean,  where the sweet 16 was a normal thing.  Also in 94 we had lost Cheany the all time leading scorer in big ten history, Greg Graham  first round pick.  They also lost starters in Nover and Reynolds.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

What it all boils down to is Knight is a top 5 coach of all time, you aren't going to fire him without extenuating circumstances - i.e., the Neil Reed situation. Especially a coach that was still winning games, just not at the bar he set. It's not really that hard to understand.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

and the older fans who understand what he did for the program?

I just wrote this ridiculously long, multi paragraph post about RMK, the positives, the negatives, the whole lot. It was a thing of beauty, and it completely vanished when I hit Submit. Majorly bummed right now. Note to self to copy/paste before submitting next time.

The short version of it - you kinda had to be there to truly understand and appreciate the RMK experience. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why did Knight have a roster so poor 25 years into his time at Indiana? 

I don't understand. If the results were substandard before he left. Some said for 4 or 5 years? What was taking so long to move on? 

So why was anyone upset that he was not retained? 

All I did was ask questions and none of those questions weren't ragging on RMK. 

Oh and I made fun of ppl that bought TTU hats, and I still would.  

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

I don't have an issue. You all are so sensitive when it comes to him though. 

I don't think that's true, at least not for me...

RMK had warts, that's for sure...he could be enormously benevolent, and he could be a huge jackass...but when it comes to basketball minds, he really is in select company...

Without him, IU is a University of San Francisco, a Cincinnati, or an Oklahoma A&M (State now)...

But because of him, we have as many National Championships as the rest of the Big 10 schools combined.

I think a lot of people appreciate that...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I just wrote this ridiculously long, multi paragraph post about RMK, the positives, the negatives, the whole lot. It was a thing of beauty, and it completely vanished when I hit Submit. Majorly bummed right now. Note to self to copy/paste before submitting next time.

The short version of it - you kinda had to be there to truly understand and appreciate the RMK experience. 

Damn the bad luck! 

And your last sentence is very true...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I don't think that's true, at least not for me...

RMK had warts, that's for sure...he could be enormously benevolent, and he could be a huge jackass...but when it comes to basketball minds, he really is in select company...

Without him, IU is a University of San Francisco, a Cincinnati, or an Oklahoma A&M (State now)...

But because of him, we have as many National Championships as the rest of the Big 10 schools combined.

I think a lot of people appreciate that...

I just asked questions man. The obsession over him is never something that I will understand. 

• Haha 1