Positive

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Damn the bad luck! 

And your last sentence is very true...

I might try re-writing it - it was kind of fun to go back to those days, but as you noted, there were also some warts that were hard to defend. I've been out of Bloomington for almost 30 years now, and I still get nostalgic when I see the campus on TV, and RMK and what he did at IU is definitely one of the reasons why. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I think "obsession" is the wrong word...

Kinda implies that we have this dreamy-eyed devotion and overlooked anything the man did...

That's not true at all...

There's plenty that are like that.  Even in the Xs and Os of it. It's been 22 years man and the things that are still posted about him are silly. 

You realize.. I'm 31 years old. He was the coach for the 1st 9 years of my life and for 22 years he hasn't been the coach. For 21 of those years he wouldn't step foot on campus. 

So.. the fact I don't find him relevant for THIS years team, I don't think thats some sort of disrespectful stretch I'm making. 

Just now, btownqb said:

What does that show you? I'm actually confused.  

lol.  If you don't know, I can't explain it to you.

signed,

Salute the General

• Like 1

Bob Knight owned the state in his heyday. Positive or negative, when he said or did something, it was front page sports section, and sometimes front page, news. I get it with younger generations. Back in the day we didn’t have the media coverage of sports or frankly of news, that young people have only known. We had an almost annually nationally ranked program, with a charismatic coach, who had his own platform with a Sunday morning show to allow fans to see what he wanted them to see. We didn’t have 10 games on tv every day, so a televised game was a big deal. We were on the National stage because of the quality of play, but just as much, because of the unknown possibilities that RMK might act out on any given night.

I don’t know that obsession is the right term. Clearly, there is always a yearning for the good ol’ days. I really think that the combination of quality basketball—for the most part, combined with a coach whose personality owned at least the conference, and sometimes all of college basketball, and finally that he had a pretty much captive audience, created the conditions that many fans of that era think will never be replicated 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There's plenty that are like that.  Even in the Xs and Os of it. It's been 22 years man and the things that are still posted about him are silly. 

You realize.. I'm 31 years old. He was the coach for the 1st 9 years of my life and for 22 years he hasn't been the coach. For 21 of those years he wouldn't step foot on campus. 

So.. the fact I don't find him relevant for THIS years team, I don't think thats some sort of disrespectful stretch I'm making. 

He's relevant to this team simply because of his link to Mike Woodson and the hope that Coach Woody can elevate IU back to national prominence on the court while molding and graduating young men...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think a lot of older fans would disagree with you here. The guy coaching the team played for RMK, and I guarantee you that suspending the WC5 and the way we play defense is because of what he learned from RMK, at least in part. Three of those five banners we are so proud of, that we can use in recruiting (TJD: “Hoosier Nation has been down for awhile now and I want to be a part of the change that makes it great again"), are his. The standards some of us expect - competing for B1G titles, going to FFs, running a (as much as possible these days) clean program, and so forth - are directly because of what RMK did. He's also the reason IU is still referenced in discussions on a national level in college basketball ... although to be fair, most times it's people discussing whether we're still a blue blood or not. 

So, understood why you might not find him relevant, but he still is.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He's relevant to this team simply because of his link to Mike Woodson and the hope that Coach Woody can elevate IU back to national prominence on the court while molding and graduating young 

This is getting us nowhere. I can't agree with your post at all, I'm sorry. I just asked some questions and I wasnt disrespectful doing it. 

I will do my best not to bring him up, that particular post I read... I was just curious about some things. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

I think a lot of older fans would disagree with you here. The guy coaching the team played for RMK, and I guarantee you that suspending the WC5 and the way we play defense is because of what he learned from RMK, at least in part. Three of those five banners we are so proud of, that we can use in recruiting (TJD: “Hoosier Nation has been down for awhile now and I want to be a part of the change that makes it great again"), are his. The standards some of us expect - competing for B1G titles, going to FFs, running a (as much as possible these days) clean program, and so forth - are directly because of what RMK did. He's also the reason IU is still referenced in discussions on a national level in college basketball ... although to be fair, most times it's people discussing whether we're still a blue blood or not. 

So, understood why you might not find him relevant, but he still is.

I see a program. I don't see Bob Knight. That's the beauty of building something bigger then yourself. No question he built it and paid the bills for a long time... and that time frame of our program has been over with for 22 years. I respect what he built  and mostly the way he did it, but that's all I've got for him. 

The earliest games our current FR remember watching of IU are from about Yogi Ferrells FR year and on. 

Look at the time frame man... Yogi was 13 years after Knight. Idk, I shouldnt have asked the questions I did. I appreciate your posts. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

I just asked questions man. The obsession over him is never something that I will understand. 

He brought this University to national recognition and won 3 championships. He is one of the top 5 coaches of all time.  On his TV show he would break down the game and really taught the game to fans.  Also he won the right way where the players were held accountable and made to go to class.  He was never had an NCAA scandal except for Alford getting suspended one game for being in a charity calendar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Bob Knight owned the state in his heyday. Positive or negative, when he said or did something, it was front page sports section, and sometimes front page, news. I get it with younger generations. Back in the day we didn’t have the media coverage of sports or frankly of news, that young people have only known. We had an almost annually nationally ranked program, with a charismatic coach, who had his own platform with a Sunday morning show to allow fans to see what he wanted them to see. We didn’t have 10 games on tv every day, so a televised game was a big deal. We were on the National stage because of the quality of play, but just as much, because of the unknown possibilities that RMK might act out on any given night.

I don’t know that obsession is the right term. Clearly, there is always a yearning for the good ol’ days. I really think that the combination of quality basketball—for the most part, combined with a coach whose personality owned at least the conference, and sometimes all of college basketball, and finally that he had a pretty much captive audience, created the conditions that many fans of that era think will never be replicated 

At least coaches back then had personalities but today they are more like me robots.  I loved the big ten coaches back in the day and how each one would work the officials.

To me there is almost a over saturation of sports on TV and the games just doesn't have that special feeling it use to have.  When you had 5 channels and maybe just one TV in the household watching a game was more of a treat.  For IU you had two games a week and you new it was going to be in Thursday and Saturday and probably on channel 4. Channel 4 would show a couple of big ten games on Saturday and NBC would have a couple on Saturday and sometimes on Sunday.

Also RMK did a lot of fund raising for other things besides athletics and helped get the library built.  I also feel that coaches like RMK won't be around after these older generation coaches leave.  I don't think you will see coaches staying at one place for 30 plus years like you use to. With the money they make and just the unbearable pressure put on coaches today there is no need to stay coaching for a long period of time.

Also look at coaches like Wooden at UCLA and he is still talked about even though he hasn't coached since 1975. I will bet people will still be talking about coach K in 30 years as well.

What frustrates me about the younger fans is that they make it sound like that if they didn't see it happen then it is not relevant.  It is like they don't respect what came before them and to me that is not good for a fan base.  I also feel some think that they think they invented the game and how the game use to play isn't worth anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

So, we have been substandard since 1993. Not since he was fired. 

Your distain for Coach Knight is well documented and this continual poking you're doing here is immature and below you.  We all know how you feel. Don't be a troll.  I don't remember you being this big of an [......] in the past.  But the last year or so you have gone out of your way to just disagree and badger everyone over everything.  If its not your idea or believe you just roll over every topic with constant arguing.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Your distain for Coach Knight is well documented and this continual poking you're doing here is immature and below you.  We all know how you feel. Don't be a troll.  I don't remember you being this big of an [......] in the past.  But the last year or so you have gone out of your way to just disagree and badger everyone over everything.  If its not your idea or believe you just roll over every topic with constant arguing.  

Oh my. 👍