2024 SG Jack Benter Commits to Purdue

Tuffhooper89

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Back when Kaufman and Jacobi were at Silver Creek, after their sophomore years, Silver Creek significantly upgraded their schedule to get some tougher and higher profile matchups.  Don't be surprised if Brownstown does the same.  Could see them in the Hall of Fame Classic and/or the Southport Shootout over the next couple of years.   

I would agree. 

I will say, its not some absurdly weak schedule by any means, the way it is now. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I would agree. 

I will say, its not some absurdly weak schedule by any means, the way it is now. 

The bottom 3 teams in the conference drags it down a bit.  But, with the Floyd Central win, they are now 3-2 against the Top 64 in the Sagarin ratings in the state.  By contrast, Lafayette Jeff, a 'large' school that just recently produced a Big Ten player in Barnhizer, is also 3-2 against the Top 64.  Bloomington South, another 'large' school in people's eyes is just 2-4 against Top 64 opponents.  Fort Wayne Blackhawk, a small school that plays a tough schedule is 1-3 against Top 64.  Basically, unless you're an Indy are school, a schedule like Brownstown's is similar to most others in the state.  

• Like 3

Just now, btownqb said:

I'm not overly understanding the comparison to begin with. 

Are they saying Jack is a MAC level player? Or? 

Or just both from small towns and are white? 

I think it's the latter.  I doubt anyone on here has seen enough of Jack to judge what level of college ball he is capable of.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I think it's the latter.  I doubt anyone on here has seen enough of Jack to judge what level of college ball he is capable of.  

Gotcha. Any comparison to an all time great should be relished!! 

I truly didn't know until speaking with a couple of people and watching him this season. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Btownstrength said:

I know I have not despite being only an hour away. Does he project as a high major player at this point? 

I've only seen him play once, against Silver Creek. It's so hard to tell when the kid is a freshman or sophomore, especially a coach's son because you don't yet have enough info to determine how much the system is helping his performance.  But, Purdue is already in the mix, and we all have to admit that Painter has done a good job identifying in state talent early on in the player's high school career.  

Some things you have to like about him.

• He can shoot the ball at a very high level.  
  • He is 6'4" and apparently still growing.  If he tops out 6'7" or 6'8" with his shooting ability, he will be in high demand.   
  • He is a coach's son.  We can see that in some of the things Galloway does on the court for IU.  No reason why Benter does not benefit from such a relationship as well.  
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

imo 

He's A LOT closer to that now, then 365 days ago. I understand that can be said for a few kids. Again, jmo. 

Are you in Bloomington? 

Thanks for the report! 

And no sadly my days in Bloomington are done. Currently live in Jeffersonville, so I will definitely lend a hand in scouting local kids when they come up. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 1:09 PM, Artesian_86 said:

Very respectable! 

Here’s want the critiques will say/ask…..

”What’s the quality of your competition in a small school compared to bigger schools where there are more athletes to choose from?” 
I feel these are the type of players you see at Northwestern, Iowa and Wisconsin….. Those kind of players we wish we had at IU. 

We used to recruit them all the time.  Knight recruited these kids all the time. We stopped and started recruiting athletes and have been doing it now for 22 years. One thing I will give crean. He had one or two classes where he recruited these kids and thats the last time we were worth a damn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jojo123 said:

We used to recruit them all the time.  Knight recruited these kids all the time. We stopped and started recruiting athletes and have been doing it now for 22 years. One thing I will give crean. He had one or two classes where he recruited these kids and thats the last time we were worth a damn.

I think this a little bit of a myth.  Recruiting was not as in the publics eye with AAU and ratings; however Knight recruited elite athletes who had skill and an edge.  They were still top 100 recruits, Mr. Basketballs, and from all over the country.  And, most were recruited by other blue-bloods.

It is also well documented, that kids stopped lining up to play for him and he stopped making recruiting a priority.  As the game changed, he hired Mike Davis to open up recruiting in the south to adapt to the needs.  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

I think this a little bit of a myth.  Recruiting was not as in the publics eye with AAU and ratings; however Knight recruited elite athletes who had skill and an edge.  They were still top 100 recruits, Mr. Basketballs, and from all over the country.  And, most were recruited by other blue-bloods.

It is also well documented, that kids stopped lining up to play for him and he stopped making recruiting a priority.  As the game changed, he hired Mike Davis to open up recruiting in the south to adapt to the needs.  

Probably talking about players like Chuck Franz and Jeff Oliphant type zuers 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

John Laskowski, steve Green, Jimmy Cruz, Dan Dakich, Steve Alford, Michael Lewis, Brian Evans, Pat Graham. Dean Garret. Kent Benson. Tom Abbernathy.

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

• Like 1

Knight took Good basketball players and made them very good players and then recruited some very good athletes and made them great basketball players. When you blend it all together you have five banners hanging in the hall. Look at Wisconsin over the last 20 years and you will find that is the recipe they use for success. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jojo123 said:

Knight took Good basketball players and made them very good players and then recruited some very good athletes and made them great basketball players. When you blend it all together you have five banners hanging in the hall. Look at Wisconsin over the last 20 years and you will find that is the recipe they use for success. 

I do not recall Knight's team flopping a lot and taking sucker punches to people's groins. Wisconsin reminds me more of a Duke team in how the try to win (especially before Duke went all UK in recruiting).

• Like 2