2024 SG Jack Benter Commits to Purdue

Tuffhooper89

I'm old enough to remember Marty Simmons as a soph playing for Lawernceville High across the bridge from Vincennes. This is what he looked like. The competition level was very similar. He might've been closer to 6'3 at the time and he a guy a year older than him named Doug Novcek who was a stud. The following year together they one the first of two LHS class A state titles. I think that was 82' and 83.' Of course Vincennes Lincoln had just won the "actual" state title in 81.' So there was no shortage of talent in that part of the country.....let me rephrase that, No shortage of competitive high caliber games with everyone having a really good player. I could be wrong but but Benter looks like one of those guys. He can't get that shot off on D1 defenders higher than a low to mid major. He can't guard his position at that level. 

He could go to Evansville on a bad team and probable start and get buckets, much in the way Simmons did after he transferred to Evansville. 

Sisley I believe is different all together. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ba43056 said:

I'm old enough to remember Marty Simmons as a soph playing for Lawernceville High across the bridge from Vincennes. This is what he looked like. The competition level was very similar. He might've been closer to 6'3 at the time and he a guy a year older than him named Doug Novcek who was a stud. The following year together they one the first of two LHS class A state titles. I think that was 82' and 83.' Of course Vincennes Lincoln had just won the "actual" state title in 81.' So there was no shortage of talent in that part of the country.....let me rephrase that, No shortage of competitive high caliber games with everyone having a really good player. I could be wrong but but Benter looks like one of those guys. He can't get that shot off on D1 defenders higher than a low to mid major. He can't guard his position at that level. 

He could go to Evansville on a bad team and probable start and get buckets, much in the way Simmons did after he transferred to Evansville. 

So off base! I love it! 

And just curious.. how many games have you seen in person of Jacks? I know we have very few that are streamed. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

I was young then, but Marty was a damn good player and showed that good players come in all shapes and sizes.  His problem at IU was he got too heavy. Knight wanted his weight down and not up.  He played as freshman at IU and looked good but the weight wrecked him.  The poor guy just couldn't control it.  There was the story in Season on the Brink where Knight made him run in ankle weights to demonstrate how much it was slowing him down.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Have you ever seen Benter play live?  Just curious as to how you judge his defensive prowess from a highlight clip focused on his offense.  

In your mind, what makes Sisley better?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, btownqb said:

Heard at UAA this weekend in Indy that wisconsin, penn state, purdue, virginia, and more were there to watch Benter. Not to be seen..... Indiana Basketball. Missing out on a stud and future Mr. Basketball canidate if they do not pick up there recruiting right now!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 12:44 PM, ba43056 said:

Lawrenceville/Vincennes is home country for me. 

You're correct on the LHS state titles: '82-83.  Novsek was a year ahead of Simmons and finished either 2nd or 3rd for IL Mr. Basketball in '82 (Bruce Douglas who went on to play at UI won).  Simmons won in '83.  The head coach of those teams that went 68-0 across two seasons? Ron Felling. 

That '81 Vincennes team had Courtney Witte who played two years at Vincennes and (trivia alert!) became Bob Knight's first transfer player at Indiana, playing another two years. Novsek played 4 years at SIU, and the PG from that team, Jeff Gher, played two years at Vincennes and two years at Toledo, so yes there was some D1 talent in that area. 

Aside: That VU/IU combination is the perfect recipe for success in all aspects of life.....one guess as to where my two degrees are from. 😂

Edit: If you're guessing, no, I didn't go to Lincoln or Lawrenceville, but L-ville was a conference/county rival. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2022 at 12:49 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Lawrenceville/Vincennes is home country for me. 

You're correct on the LHS state titles: '82-83.  Novsek was a year ahead of Simmons and finished either 2nd or 3rd for IL Mr. Basketball in '82 (Bruce Douglas who went on to play at UI won).  Simmons won in '83.  The head coach of those teams that went 68-0 across two seasons? Ron Felling. 

That '81 Vincennes team had Courtney Witte who played two years at Vincennes and (trivia alert!) became Bob Knight's first transfer player at Indiana, playing another two years. Novsek played 4 years at SIU, and the PG from that team, Jeff Gher, played two years at Vincennes and two years at Toledo, so yes there was some D1 talent in that area. 

Aside: That VU/IU combination is the perfect recipe for success in all aspects of life.....one guess as to where my two degrees are from. 😂

Edit: If you're guessing, no, I didn't go to Lincoln or Lawrenceville, but L-ville was a conference/county rival. 

We live in Robinson, IL which is definitely not far from Lawrenceville or Vincennes. 

• 3 weeks later...