Crean gone

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

News began to leak last night that Tom Crean failed to report a physical altercation between 2 assistants at halftime of recent LSU game.  Doesn’t look like this is gonna be drawn out.  May be fired for cause as early as today.  

https://dawnofthedawg.com/2022/02/18/georgia-basketball-tom-crean-sooner-later/amp/

Brad Stevens to Georgia?

• Haha 8

Color me shocked.  The problem with IU basketball for the past 21 years is not the program is cursed or we have a crazy fan base or anything.  The problem is that we consistently hire abysmal coaches.  It's why Davis and Crean flopped after they left.  It's why Sampson won big while he was here and won big before and after he was here.  It's not complicated. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Color me shocked.  The problem with IU basketball for the past 21 years is not the program is cursed or we have a crazy fan base or anything.  The problem is that we consistently hire abysmal coaches.  It's why Davis and Crean flopped after they left.  It's why Sampson won big while he was here and won big before and after he was here.  It's not complicated. 

Davis didn't "flop" after he left.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

News began to leak last night that Tom Crean failed to report a physical altercation between 2 assistants at halftime of recent LSU game.  Doesn’t look like this is gonna be drawn out.  May be fired for cause as early as today.  

https://dawnofthedawg.com/2022/02/18/georgia-basketball-tom-crean-sooner-later/amp/

Seems cheap. If you want to fire him for performance go ahead but trying to find dirt and fire for cause? Petty stuff. I wish Crean well. Thought Georgia was perfect spot for him but it appears on the surface the university just doesn't care about anything non football related. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems cheap. If you want to fire him for performance go ahead but trying to find dirt and fire for cause? Petty stuff. I wish Crean well. Thought Georgia was perfect spot for him but it appears on the surface the university just doesn't care about anything non football related. 

Baseballs a pretty big deal!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

2 hours ago, rico said:

Look at his record at UAB and then look at what he did at Texas Southern.  The guy won.  Really don't know why he took the Detroit job.

As Rico said, Davis did not 'flop'.  Does he have a 'ceiling' as a coach?  Yes.  But, he did a darn good job at Texas Southern.  And, for the uninitiated, don't look at the overall record.  They would consistently start the season with their first 12-13 games on the road against quality competition.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

As Rico said, Davis did not 'flop'.  Does he have a 'ceiling' as a coach?  Yes.  But, he did a darn good job at Texas Southern.  And, for the uninitiated, don't look at the overall record.  They would consistently start the season with their first 12-13 games on the road against quality competition.

The point was really that he and Crean are both low mid major coaches at best.  We can disagree on our definition of flop but he couldn't hack it at UAB and is winning at like 38% at Detroit Mercy.

The problem with IU basketball is that since 1970 we haven't hired a nasty tempered SOB as head coach. We just keep hiring a bunch of nice guys - for the most part. I'm not going to discuss Sampson, who blew the program apart. I love Bob Knight and always will. I very much respect Mike Davis, Tom Crean, and even Archie, and wish them nothing but the best. I just hope Woody can get the program back on track. Maybe one day IU will be as good as Rutgers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

The point was really that he and Crean are both low mid major coaches at best.  We can disagree on our definition of flop but he couldn't hack it at UAB and is winning at like 38% at Detroit Mercy.

I have no clue why he left Texas Southern for Detroit Mercy.  He probably had the Texas Southern job for life.  I guess he was looking for an opportunity for Antoine to play against slightly better competition.  But, it was a mistake to leave Texas Southern in my opinion. - 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Davis did well at Texas Southern.  Went to the tournament a few times and won a game at MSU.

Edited by IU Scott

Mike Davis was put into an impossible situation after Knight was fired. I will always admire him for taking on the task. I'm serious about that. Sampson was a cheater who should never have stepped a foot on the Assembly Hall floor. Crean did his best to clean up the mess Sampson left behind before he hit his ceiling. B1G basketball is as fun to watch in a long time, it's really good. I just wish IU was playing better.

Edited by Officer Obie
  • Like 2