College Baseball Season Thread (2022)

btownqb

1 hour ago, Kendal22 said:

I am not. Don’t ever get on the Rivals site. Why?

Just--- your Ole Miss Fandom and the username "Oxford", plus that username was talking about college baseball. And it was late at night and made sense in my head. 😂

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just--- your Ole Miss Fandom and the username "Oxford", plus that username was talking about college baseball. And it was late at night and made sense in my head. 😂

I gotcha! Very surprised Ole Miss got into the tournament over NC State and maybe even Rutgers. Looks like a difficult weekend to try to play the Coral Gables Regional with a Tropical Storm incoming.

2 minutes ago, Kendal22 said:

I gotcha! Very surprised Ole Miss got into the tournament over NC State and maybe even Rutgers. Looks like a difficult weekend to try to play the Coral Gables Regional with a Tropical Storm incoming.

I'm pretty pissed about it. But it is what it is. I have looked to know if Ole Miss is the team that "shouldn't have gotten in" but..  Rutgers, unquestionably, should be in.

2 hours ago, Kendal22 said:

Tennessee catcher Evan Russell is out tonight for the Vols. Tony Vitello will address his status after the game. Interesting.

Yep. Taylor has been fine though, Defensively. 

Obviously Russell brings an uncanny ability offensively for a catcher.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Used to be much more dialed in on stuff like this. But is it our new normal for this many upsets in College Baseball? Saw it mentioned on twitter but half the top 16 seeds could be eliminated today. 

Well.. Notre Dame is just flat out better then Georgia So. (Who is the top seed)... 

Same thing with Oklahoma. They're flat out better than UF. 

There were A LOT of games (Arkansas vs OKST) where--- ok, OKST is ranked but Ark is a POWER and was ranked top 5/10 all year long, struggled late, so didn't host. 

Michigan beating Louisville is hilarious and awesome. 

UCONN fits the mold from above, as well. They were top 20 all year and couldn't put together to resume to host. Honestly, Tex St, as well. They are currently ranked 13th. 

VCU was an upset, for sure. 

LSU over So Miss (same thing) lower seed (LSU) is a POWER.  

So---- to answer your question, no, it's not usual for that to happen-- but if you look at the Sat night matchups, I don't think it was overly surprising we saw a fair amount of these teams struggle, in this particular year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Hoping we can make it back next year. It feels like it's been a lot longer than 3 years since we played postseason baseball. 

2020 there's little doubt we were in.  

Still not overly sure what happened last year. 

17 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Hoping we can make it back next year. It feels like it's been a lot longer than 3 years since we played postseason baseball. 

And yes, I was in Louisville in 2019, and that was a poor showing... gotta get back. 

The two transfer arms we just got should help a lot with that. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Well.. Notre Dame is just flat out better then Georgia So. (Who is the top seed)... 

Same thing with Oklahoma. They're flat out better than UF. 

There were A LOT of games (Arkansas vs OKST) where--- ok, OKST is ranked but Ark is a POWER and was ranked top 5/10 all year long, struggled late, so didn't host. 

Michigan beating Louisville is hilarious and awesome. 

UCONN fits the mold from above, as well. They were top 20 all year and couldn't put together to resume to host. Honestly, Tex St, as well. They are currently ranked 13th. 

VCU was an upset, for sure. 

LSU over So Miss (same thing) lower seed (LSU) is a POWER.  

So---- to answer your question, no, it's not usual for that to happen-- but if you look at the Sat night matchups, I don't think it was overly surprising we saw a fair amount of these teams struggle, in this particular year. 

Thanks for detail and explanation....this is when i start getting dialed in for Omaha and was just curious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for detail and explanation....this is when i start getting dialed in for Omaha and was just curious.

My 1.5 yr old Great Dane got his balls chopped off this week, along with another surgery to ensure he doesn't have bloating issues..... and getting him to calm down this week so the stitches don't rip, has been one helluva struggle... 🤣🤣

So, admittedly this morning, I was just laying in bed holding him... so I had some time to type that out. 🤦‍♂️🤣

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, btownqb said:

My 1.5 yr old Great Dane got his balls chopped off this week, along with another surgery to ensure he doesn't have bloating issues..... and getting him to calm down this week so the stitches don't rip, has been one helluva struggle... 🤣🤣

So, admittedly this morning, I was just laying in bed holding him... so I had some time to type that out. 🤦‍♂️🤣

Good luck, my shepherd had his surgery back in December.

Missouri State is about to put Oklahoma State out of its own regional. IU won a series in Springfield this year.

Columbia about to eliminate Gonzaga.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

I can't get over how silly it is that highly-ranked teams who haven't lost yet are the visiting teams on their own fields. 

Yes, I'm still bitter about how one of our best teams ever went down on a walkoff home run in our own stadium. 

The rain delays killed IU back in 2014 as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I can't get over how silly it is that highly-ranked teams who haven't lost yet are the visiting teams on their own fields. 

Yes, I'm still bitter about how one of our best teams ever went down on a walkoff home run in our own stadium. 

I honestly don't think there's any sort of advantage to being the home team. Coached probably 400 games in my life and it certainly didn't feel like it was a big thing, maybe it was. Never tracked it. 

6 hours ago, Kendal22 said:

Ole Miss defeats Miami 2-1 to move to tomorrow's regional championship. Miami threw their ace Carson Palmquist in this game and will meet Arizona in about an hour.

AZ wins. Idk what the pitching looks like for either team.  

AZ/Ole Miss (AZ gotta win twice) 12pm

Lou/Mich 6pm 

UNC/VCU 6pm

Maryland/UCONN

Vandy/ORST

Ark/OKST 

LSU/USM

ECU/CCU

Tex St/Stanford 

UF/OKLA 

(Aub is up big on UCLA in an elim game) 

Tennessee, VT, ND, Aub, TexAM, Texas have advanced. (within 3 inning)

SEC has a chance to have 8 teams in the supers. If Ole Miss wins they will be at UNC/VCU btw... they'll have a lot of people with them regardless.