OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

Double whammy tonight as not only did the Men lose, but so did the Lady Hoosiers as they were swept by the Lady Hawkettes....  ☹️

I'm signing out gang. I've seen enough cr@p basketball to last me for 2 lifetimes!! I may check in to baseball from time to time.

Y'all have fun.....

Edited by Proud2BAHoosier

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If you have a G before your name on the roster, every one of them need to be sent packing after the N.I.T. None of them are good enough to play in the Big Ten. Maybe give Bates another year to see if he can play. Everyone else good bye.

Pretty sad when a team goes 1-5 with their backup point guard out of the lineup.   Our talent level needs a major upgrade.  Should be able to to sustain losing 1 or two rotation players without going in the gutter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Do we really have that much talent and having your two best players in today's game doesn't win games.  Our perimeter players really are not that talented.

Yes, we have more talent. Do we still stink? Yes. But we stink more so from not being mentally tough enough. We’ve been in all but two games all year. But we have a team full of softies and a staff who didn’t improve this team as the season went. 

Edited by kyhoosier29

1 minute ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Pretty sad when a team goes 1-5 with their backup point guard out of the lineup.   Our talent level needs a major upgrade.  Should be able to to sustain losing 1 or two rotation players without going in the gutter.

The thing I haven't seen mentioned about tonight's game is that we played with only one PG. With Trey out with RP and Lander we had no other ball handler.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually thought Woodson did a good job tonight and didn't see any questionable coaching tonight.  He put the players in position to succeed and that is all a coach can do.  Tonight at the end was about player execution and our lack of play makers on the perimeter.

Lack of development, wavering confidence 🤔

”none of these kids know how to win”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Do we really have that much talent and having your two best players in today's game doesn't win games.  Our perimeter players really are not that talented.

Completely agree. For those saying we have talent, go through the teams in the conference above us in the standings and see if there is any starting guard you would pass on for one of ours.

I’m sure everyone noticed that Wisconsin went to Johnny Davis every time late and we never adjusted and Stewart laid down defensively.  

OSU scouted that and literally did the exact same thing.   Branham took the Davis role and IU had no answer.  No adjustment other than to let Race switch over which was ill-fated.  

Every team we play will do this because we ain’t adjusting.  

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don’t think we are that much more talented. Maginally more talented? Maybe. 

XJ is an upgrade over Phinisee as the starting point guard and Phinisee is an upgrade at backup point guard over whoever our back up was last year. 

But, Franklin and Durham from last year are both better then Stewart and Kopp. They were better last year at both ends of the court and both guys could score at all three levels and serve as secondary ball handlers. 

Sure, Geronimo is a little better. Galloway has improved a bit and we have a part-time serviceable back up big that we didn't have last year with Brunk out. 

But from what I've seen so far, I'm taking Franklin and Durham over Stewart and Kopp every time. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m sure everyone noticed that Wisconsin went to Johnny Davis every time late and we never adjusted and Stewart laid down defensively.  

OSU scouted that and literally did the exact same thing.   Branham took the Davis role and IU had no answer.  No adjustment other than to let Race switch over which was ill-fated.  

Every team we play will do this because we ain’t adjusting.  

This is one of the best posts I’ve ever read. Spot on sir

• Like 3

The fan base was extremely positive about Woody coming in. I think he isn’t picking up on the urgency to win because he thought he was in a honeymoon phase.  

He couldn’t be any more wrong. He had his honeymoon.  He needs to win games.  This thing will flip on his head faster than he can say “I’m not adjusting.”

By the time next season starts, he will need to win regularly.  There’s no grace period.  There’s no buffer.  There’s no tolerance.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The fan base was extremely positive about Woody coming in. I think he isn’t picking up on the urgency to win because he thought he was in a honeymoon phase.  

He couldn’t be any more wrong. He had his honeymoon.  He needs to win games.  This thing will flip on his head faster than he can say “I’m not adjusting.”

By the time next season starts, he will need to win regularly.  There’s no grace period.  There’s no buffer.  There’s no tolerance.  

Better recruits are coming. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just finished. 

I’m actually not going to complain about the coaching tonight. The movement was better down the stretch than in the past. If Race doesn’t make that horrible turnover out of a timeout we win the game and we’d be praising the coaching and the resilience of the guys pushing back when 10 down.

Instead, we continue to see a team who does not know how to win close games. They freeze up, make bone headed plays and lose OSU’s best player under the basket for a dunk with 5 seconds left. 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We better hope Woodson is the one to turn it around because the candidates the next time will not be pretty.  As fans we can't just jump ship on a coach less than a year into his tenure.  I know most don't agree with me but I think one of the reasons we have trouble getting good coaches is the fan base.  Why would any established coach who is winning where they are at come here.  If they see fans already questioning the job status of a coach on year one, they will steer clear of this job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

We better hope Woodson is the one to turn it around because the candidates the next time will not be pretty.  As fans we can't just jump ship on a coach less than a year into his tenure.  I know most don't agree with me but I think one of the reasons we have trouble getting good coaches is the fan base.  Why would any established coach who is winning where they are at come here.  If they see fans already questioning the job status of a coach on year one, they will steer clear of this job.

That’s fine.  He needs to win.  Once he loses the fans, it’s over.  All the ex players in the world can’t save him.  We already have die hards not watching the games.  

Allowing Branham to score every time down after he put on tape that he wasn’t going to adjust on Johnny Davis is inexcusable.  Every coach in the league sees that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they see fans already questioning the job status of a coach on year one, they will steer clear of this job.

Additionally, it’s not Woodson’s fault Indiana is on a 5 game losing streak. 

Let it be known that I started the Illinois game thread which started all of this. If I had just not made that game thread who knows where Indiana would be. Please forgive me...

• Haha 1

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Also, want to give props to P-Stew. They kept going at him and he was playing hard. This normally would’ve been Rob’s assignment. Sure, he isn’t an amazing defender but the effort was there and he helped out handling the ball for a stint.  

He was absolutely phenomenally terrible on D.  Just killed us.  Nobody hurt us more than he did.  The staff should never have allowed that to happen.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

That’s fine.  He needs to win.  Once he loses the fans, it’s over.  All the ex players in the world can’t save him.  We already have die hards not watching the games.  

Allowing Branham to score every time down after he put on tape that he wasn’t going to adjust on Johnny Davis is inexcusable.  Every coach in the league sees that.  

That is what I am talking about with our game is that we lose faith and turn on coaches to quickly.  Since RMK left we had 6 coaches, 6 AD's and hundreds of players who we are quick to blame.  The one constant in those years are the fans and how quick we turn on them.