OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

2 minutes ago, ba43056 said:

Buckner would've been a great successor to RMK. Wittman never being a serious candidate was always surprising. 

I've appreciated CMW's ability to get the team to play defense and in the first year I'm not sure you can expect a lot of continuity offensively so I'm not ready to burn the place down just yet. 

Lets see what year 2 looks like. We'll have 3 McDonalds All-American Guards on the roster next year. 

This is news to me. Where are they coming from?

• Like 3

I have tried to articulate what i want to say about the program but i can't find it.  I have spent 20 minutes trying to put into words for something i just can't put my finger on or get my head wrapped around.  I know i am not really bothered by losses.  And i don't get excited when we win.  I have stopped watching games. I mostly come here to get updates and listen to the same 2 sided debate we have been having since Sampson was fired.  There are so many polar opposites on here anymore and everyone seems to be much more aggressive in their wording and defense of their point (myself included at times). It's kind of tiring.

I hope we start winning at a higher percentage.  I hope we get better, smarter and more likable players.  It would be nice to have a fanbase and forum where we mostly agree and have only a few outlier.  A standard bell curve of fandom would be nice again.  I don't know if that is possible for IU, but it sure would be nice.

Go Hoosiers!

This off-season, I hope we land three guys in the portal.

a) A mobile big man who can protect the rim and step out and shoot

b) a two way wing who can shoot and defend 

c) a veteran point guard who can distribute, shoot, and keep the ball in front of him on D

With the three incoming freshmen coming, we’d need six departures.  Sounds about right.  

Woodson won’t be able to sit up there and just say he’s got to get them over the hump again next season.  Fire up the portal.

The other big issue is player development.  It’s going to be huge this off-season.  Galloway, get an acceptable jumper and get stronger.  Geronimo, develop wing level ball handling.  Bates, get stronger and work on defense, that handle and shot selection.   Lander, groom him for the backup pg spot, get stronger.  Duncomb, bulk him up and get him ready for off the bench minutes.  Leal, a faster shot release and using his body on D.  Race/Trayce, it’d be awesome if we got at least one back.  Just shoot jumpers against pressure.  We have some solid and young core talent.  They need to take a huge step forward.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have tried to articulate what i want to say about the program but i can't find it.  I have spent 20 minutes trying to put into words for something i just can't put my finger on or get my head wrapped around.  I know i am not really bothered by losses.  And i don't get excited when we win.  I have stopped watching games. I mostly come here to get updates and listen to the same 2 sided debate we have been having since Sampson was fired.  There are so many polar opposites on here anymore and everyone seems to be much more aggressive in their wording and defense of their point (myself included at times). It's kind of tiring.

I hope we start winning at a higher percentage.  I hope we get better, smarter and more likable players.  It would be nice to have a fanbase and forum where we mostly agree and have only a few outlier.  A standard bell curve of fandom would be nice again.  I don't know if that is possible for IU, but it sure would be nice.

Go Hoosiers!

Winning cures everything.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

um... Woodson has the same roster other than XJ, Kopp, Durr, Bates, Duncomb, Stewart... kind of not the same roster, right?

XJ is no better than Devonte

Bates ain't better than Franklin or Durham

Duncomb....

Durr....

Stewart at least practiced with team last year.

This roster might be worse actually now that you mention it. But for the most part, it's the same

Don't be shocked if 2 or more incoming freshmen start or play big minutes next season

Edited by Coach Robby
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Duncomb....

Durr....

This roster might be worse actually now that you mention it. But for the most part, it's the same

Don't be shocked if 2 or more incoming freshmen start or play big minutes next season

ah.  sorry.  i thought you meant literally the same roster.  quite a few different players, but you're saying the same level of talent.  

1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

Duncomb....

Durr....

Last year we said: We NEED wings who can shoot!!! We NEED an attacking PG. 

We got wings who can shoot. Problem is they don’t get the ball. We got the PG. I think XJ has been a major upgrade. Race, TJD and Gallo are all better this year. 

It’s also a moot point bringing Franklin into the conversation because he didn’t even play the last 2 months of the season. 

I still don’t understand how anybody can say last year’s roster had the talent we do this year. We have more than enough talent to be a tourney team. Maybe not enough talent to be at the top of the B1G, but our floor should be the tournament. 

We have a coach who hasn’t coached in college before. BUT Woody is a smart man. I’m sure it’s hard to get perspective and make roster decisions from the outside looking in, as he was forced to do last year. If there’s anything we’ve learned the last few years: our roster looks good on paper but not in reality. This year he is in the thick of it. He will learn what works and what doesn’t. He can see first hand our deficiencies. He won’t be entering the portal and recruiting half blind this summer. I have faith that he can adapt to the situation. If he can’t then we can go full on George Constanza, pushing through children and the elderly as we run out of a burning building. 

The biggest issue for me is not the loss (I can deal with losing in OT on the road to a ranked opponent without 2 of our top 8 players) but the fact that we are getting worse at the worst time. I can objectively deal with puzzling loses early in the season with a new staff and group of players figuring it all out. But we continue to deal with the same issues from the beginning of the season:

-Inconsistent PG play
-Lack of discipline (poor shot selection, cheap fouls, unnecessary technicals and flagrants, missing curfews/player suspensions)

-Players standing around on offense, no off ball movement or curling around a screen with authority and purpose. Not understanding mismatches (ex-every team knows to attack Stewart or Kopp for an easy bucket) 

-Terrible substitution patterns (putting too many bench players in at once)

-Not using a TO to stop other teams from going on runs

-Inability to make smart decisions to close out games

-Too many guys that have one skill and one skill only. (The only guys who make an impact on both sides of the court are TJD,Race, and Galloway). 

We still have 3 winnable games. Win those and win 1 big ten tourney game (not a big ask) and that’s 20 wins and should be able to squeak in. Remember, UCLA was a last 4 team in 2021 and made it all the way to the final 4 and it completely changed the direction of their program.

If miss the tourney, my cautious optimism is our recruiting. JHS will start and has all the tools to be the PG we’ve needed since Yogi. Kaleb Banks is an athletic stretch 4. Gunn has shown an ability this year to score at all 3 levels. Cupps and Newton make plays on both ends. Hopefully one of Bates, Galloway, or Geronimo can take that leap during the off season and turn into an NBA caliber player.

I appreciate anyone who plays for IU but hopefully we can use the transfer portal to get rid of some of the dead weight on this team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sea Turtle said:

I really think the program is dead. It's going to take a big name coach to resurrect it. We came close but missed this last time around. 

They don't want the big names coaches who have been available.  Mile told the story many times of how we could've had Pitino.  Cal was rumored to have wanted the job badly while at Memphis.  I've had people in Evansville tell me that Pearl would've crawled from Auburn to Bloomington.  Scott Drew reportedly had interest. The problem is that the administration doesn't like the big name coaches that have been available.   

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

They don't want the big names coaches who have been available.  Mile told the story many times of how we could've had Pitino.  Cal was rumored to have wanted the job badly while at Memphis.  I've had people in Evansville tell me that Pearl would've crawled from Auburn to Bloomington.  Scott Drew reportedly had interest. The problem is that the administration doesn't like the big name coaches that have been available.   

We have the right coach and staff.  We need the players.  This year is about the future, not the present.  Although, it would be nice to finish a few of these games.  We need one triple threat playmaker - just one.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

We have the right coach and staff.  We need the players.  This year is about the future, not the present.  Although, it would be nice to finish a few of these games.  We need one triple threat playmaker - just one.  

We'll see.  I think he's going to have lots of trouble getting the right players.  This season needed to be huge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

We'll see.  I think he's going to have lots of trouble getting the right players.  This season needed to be huge.

I think they are coming, and will.  We have the recruiters and network.  

Look at how quick recruiting changes for Kentucky after down years.

We already have a few real good commitments.

Think about it, we were maybe a few months possibly away from the kid at Auburn who will be the top draft pick.  

The next two classes have point guards who are winners.  Banks, just watch film on him - I don't know if we have had a kid like that in a long time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Quinn Buckner

IUwins, I really think Woodson is here because Dolson wanted and Indiana guy and there was absolutely no one qualified for the job. If rumors are true and Dolson struck out on Stevens, Woodson was his only choice. I don't think Woodson is the right man for the job, even though he has coaching experience and Indiana roots. At this point we are a bottom feeder program with marginal coaches and are stuck in the mud. I have no idea what or who the answer is but 20 years of garbage coaching and basketball play on the court is enough, Too many programs hire new coaches and they improve drastically, but not Indiana. We do the same crap game after game, year after year. It isn't rocket science. 

Frankly, I am sick and tired of it. With all the talent in this state and around the midwest we can't get anyone who is a complete player. The players we have are one dimensional and none of them can shoot consistently or even create their own shot.

If we hit we free throws we win, if we hit layups we win, if we rebound we win, if he limit turn overs we win. If the dog wouldn't of stop to shi?, he would of caught the rabbit. 

Thank you for everything you have brought to this board. Always enjoy reading your posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

IUwins, I really think Woodson is here because Dolson wanted and Indiana guy and there was absolutely no one qualified for the job. If rumors are true and Dolson struck out on Stevens, Woodson was his only choice. I don't think Woodson is the right man for the job, even though he has coaching experience and Indiana roots. At this point we are a bottom feeder program with marginal coaches and are stuck in the mud. I have no idea what or who the answer is but 20 years of garbage coaching and basketball play on the court is enough, Too many programs hire new coaches and they improve drastically, but not Indiana. We do the same crap game after game, year after year. It isn't rocket science. 

Frankly, I am sick and tired of it. With all the talent in this state and around the midwest we can't get anyone who is a complete player. The players we have are one dimensional and none of them can shoot consistently or even create their own shot.

If we hit we free throws we win, if we hit layups we win, if we rebound we win, if he limit turn overs we win. If the dog wouldn't of stop to shi?, he would of caught the rabbit. 

Thank you for everything you have brought to this board. Always enjoy reading your posts. 

Well, there are about 100 qualifiers/filters each player and coach have to go through before they are even close to accepted by our fanbase. We could all start there. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2