Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

Not even close. As for what is happening now, if you want my thoughts I guess PM me.

The last couple years has shown people are uncomfortable with reality and the truth and would rather shove their head up their ass and ignore it. 

This is a good read about what led to WW2. 

image.png.6de03b15771d52f85203ce947e11325a.png

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not even close. As for what is happening now, if you want my thoughts I guess PM me.

The last couple years has shown people are uncomfortable with reality and the truth and would rather shove their head up their ass and ignore it. 

This is a good read about what led to WW2. 

image.png.6de03b15771d52f85203ce947e11325a.png

I've read it...twice. Cover to cover, and all of the footnotes too. Own a paperback copy, which I browse now and again.

When I made the comparison to 1936 it was simply a broad statement about the actions themselves. I considered 2 things. Hitler's hatred of the Treaty of Versailles, and his wish to (initially) unite the German speaking people of the Rhineland, and eventually Austria and the Sudetenland. 

Putin was a young KGB officer during the glory years of the USSR. I think his tipping point was the fall of the Berlin Wall and the subsequent disbanding of the USSR. 

Those are simple, but relevant parallels.

I don't want to start this thread down the geopolitical road...just wanted a place to discuss this significant world event...

• Like 3

I will say that Putin’s speech was unhinged the other day. This is clearly a man who lives in his own head when part of his rational for invading Ukraine is that he’s fighting  Nazism? The President of Ukraine is Jewish and 3 of his ancestors were killed in the Holocaust!

So perhaps, if he doesn’t listen to reason then he won’t be swayed much by sanctions. That in itself is definitely something to be concerned about. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Not yet...but my fear is they will be forced to eventually...

And I'm waiting for the sabres to start rattling between China and Taiwan...

Taiwan is more concerning to me. If China takes Taiwan it will show our allies we are useless and won't defend them. I really see the US just giving up Taiwan if it comes to that. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

If it is a legitimate threat and not some ploy to cover up a parmesan cheese smokers dirty business deals, then it will be an attempt by Russia to get access to the Black Sea ports in Odessa. 

I think the 308th day of this year plays a role in this. 

They already have Sevastopol in Crimea!

Edited by Drroogh

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not yet...but my fear is they will be forced to eventually...

And I'm waiting for the sabres to start rattling between China and Taiwan...

I told my wife last week that China is watching how the world handles this situation to get a feel for how the U.S/allies might respond if China invades Taiwan. Crazy times indeed.

• Like 3

And then this...

"To anyone who would consider interfering from outside: If you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history," he said, according to Politico's translation of the speech.

"All the relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me."

His speech also alluded to the substantial nuclear arsenal he commands, noting that Russia "is today one of the most powerful nuclear powers,"

Chilling...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And then this...

"To anyone who would consider interfering from outside: If you do, you will face consequences greater than any you have faced in history," he said, according to Politico's translation of the speech.

"All the relevant decisions have been taken. I hope you hear me."

His speech also alluded to the substantial nuclear arsenal he commands, noting that Russia "is today one of the most powerful nuclear powers,"

Chilling...

Chilling indeed. Dude is a madman. 

Saw on Twitter that Mo Creek is still in Ukraine. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

A couple of weeks age I thought Putin was bluffing and wouldn’t actually pull the trigger. Looks like I was wrong. I’m still having trouble seeing how the gains of this action will ultimately outweigh the consequences for Putin. 

I don't see where Russia will face much in consequences. They hold the natural resources (oil, gas, palladium, neon gas and more) that Europe and our carmakers and chipmakers need.  Their economy can withstand sanctions. The West has already proven they are not going to take a stand. I fear for the other Eastern bloc countries. Putin has probably had this in mind for years waiting for the right time. Now the ramifications will last for decades. 

• Like 2