Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I don't see where Russia will face much in consequences. They hold the natural resources (oil, gas, palladium, neon gas and more) that Europe and our carmakers and chipmakers need.  Their economy can withstand sanctions. The West has already proven they are not going to take a stand. I fear for the other Eastern bloc countries. Putin has probably had this in mind for years waiting for the right time. Now the ramifications will last for decades. 

Russia's economy isn't that great right now.I think there are ways we can isolate him even more, but the question is how far will NATO go and and will that even deter him. Germany made a huge sacrifice by cutting off the Nord Stream 2 pipeline. I'm definitely no expert on this, but that seems like a relatively big move given how that's going to greatly inflate Germany's energy prices. 

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Russia's economy isn't that great right now.I think there are ways we can isolate him even more, but the question is how far will NATO go and and will that even deter him. Germany made a huge sacrifice by cutting off the Nord Stream 2 pipeline. I'm definitely no expert on this, but that seems like a relatively big move given how that's going to greatly inflate Germany's energy prices. 

We can't half-step with Putin...no Neville Chamberlain show...

He understands two things...strength and power...

He goes beyond what he's doing now, and the price has to be more than he's willing to pay...

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Taiwan will be next. 

I won't pretend to know all the ins/outs of Russia/Ukraine. I know that Putin was KGB during Cold War. He's old school so this has been on the docket for years with Ukraine. To your point though is my biggest concern 90% of the world's microchips are made there. If China thinks they can do the same (depending on NATO/US Involvement) why wouldn't they make that move? Those implications could be devastating. 

Again I won't try to pretend to be real knowledgeable on the subject but when countries become energy dependent again....certain chess moves are set in motion. 

Edited by Seeking6
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Russia has 630 Billion in reserves. Nobody is going to cut off Russias energy exports so they will continue getting $. They are, and will continue, reaping the benefits of higher oil prices. I can't even describe how big a mistake it was to lose our energy independence with this war on fossil fuels. China will also buy and sell with them. The Nord Stream 2 was not active so it has no current effect. Germany making the decision on Nord Stream 2 effectively took it out of the hands of the US as now Germany can decide if and when to allow it to proceed. 

• Like 5

Flashback... It was almost 8 years this article came out detailing Putins plans for the Ukraine and bipartisan US support for disarming Ukraine. Just like the US had a role in funding COVID, we also helped set the stage for this. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573557/Flashback-Senator-Obama-pushed-destruction-15-000-TONS-ammunition-400-000-small-arms-1-000-anti-aircraft-missiles-Ukraine.html#ixzz2w9BpXsWd

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

People just can’t help themselves in these threads. Let’s blame this on Obama and - checks notes - Greta. 

Bombs raining down on Ukranian citizens as we type, but sure why not get your ignorant shots in before the thread is closed. 

You are the one making this political. I am not blaming anyone, just making people aware of some of the history. I stayed factual and specifically mentioned the bipartisan effort in de arming Ukraine. I'm sorry the article didn't put  a picture of Sen Lugar in there instead of Obama. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Flashback... It was almost 8 years this article came out detailing Putins plans for the Ukraine and bipartisan US support for disarming Ukraine. Just like the US had a role in funding COVID, we also helped set the stage for this. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2573557/Flashback-Senator-Obama-pushed-destruction-15-000-TONS-ammunition-400-000-small-arms-1-000-anti-aircraft-missiles-Ukraine.html#ixzz2w9BpXsWd

I was coming here to post this. 

Please, I don't want to get this thread shut down, so let's stay away from finger pointing and Monday morning quarterbacking and look forward.

That's going to be essential to American success...if we're splintered, were doomed...

Or as Benjamin Franklin said...

"We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."

• Like 4

Imagine being a Ukrainian or Russian soldier, and being forced to die for nothing more than one man's vanity and ego.

Throw around any other kind of blame from a decade ago you want, there's only one person truly responsible for this, and the reasoning is nothing more than that he wants to reunite and recreate one of the most brutal dictatorships the world has ever seen in hopes of cementing his "legacy."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

Imagine being a Ukrainian or Russian soldier, and being forced to die for nothing more than one man's vanity and ego.

Throw around any other kind of blame from a decade ago you want, there's only one person truly responsible for this, and the reasoning is nothing more than that he wants to reunite and recreate one of the most brutal dictatorships the world has ever seen in hopes of cementing his "legacy."

No doubt Putin is the architect of this. I, and others, have pointed out this has been in his plans for quite some time. The 2014 article was about showing that- as well as how US interference had weakened Ukraine. The weakness of the US, NATO, and Europe created the leadership void Putin was only too eager to fill.

7 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I hear a lot of talk about potential cyberattacks here as a response to sanctions.  Anyone think that is realistic?

In a word: yes.

When have they not been cyberattacking us the last few years? 

I suppose they could escalate them, but we have publicly stated we will retaliate in kind, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a massive cyberattack surge the world over in the next few weeks.

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

In a word: yes.

When have they not been cyberattacking us the last few years? 

I suppose they could escalate them, but we have publicly stated we will retaliate in kind, so it wouldn't be surprising to see a massive cyberattack surge the world over in the next few weeks.

Apparently cyberattacks were part of the Russian offensive. It is in their playbook. I heard some general say they are #2 in the world after the US. Time to bring back the preppers thread.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/russia-may-be-primied-to-hack-americas-infrastructure-182256545.html

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/biden-presented-options-massive-cyberattacks-russia-rcna17558

Edited by Reacher

12 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

There is plenty of blame to go around including the US! All parties are culpable!