Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

This is a problem across the board in America. Greed causes us to sell our soul to the devil to save a few dollars or make a couple. At what point do Americans decide we won’t fund terrorist in China, Russia, Middle East and pull our business out of all those places and invest in either the US or at the minimum in central and South America and perhaps stem the tide of immigrants forced to break laws to come to our country for jobs. I don’t understand why we prop up these rogue regimes by feeding their people and filling their coffers.

It certainly is a problem with investments and our dependance on their oil. We are so so deep into our addiction that we can’t sanction their oil. 

I’ve a firm believer in moving manufacturing back to the US. We were once a nation of inventors and makers, we should be able to make and buy things here with less business overseas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

It certainly is a problem with investments and our dependance on their oil. We are so so deep into our addiction that we can’t sanction their oil. 

I’ve a firm believer in moving manufacturing back to the US. We were once a nation of inventors and makers, we should be able to make and buy things here with less business overseas. 

Oil has been an issue for 50 years.  Why is that?  

7 hours ago, rico said:

Oil has been an issue for 50 years.  Why is that?  

You definitely don’t want to get me started on the auto industry and how they pulled a fast one on the entire country with politicians happily pocketing the profits. 

I enjoy walking, riding my bike, and taking the subway while telling the car/gas/oil industry to f*ck off. I also realize that I couldn’t say that if I lived in most places, but our lifestyle is by design. It’s nice not knowing or caring about oil or gas prices. Gas could be a dollar or twenty dollars a gallon and I wouldn’t know or really care. We are lucky enough to only fill our tank when we drive to MD a handful of times each year. 

• Like 2

Per Yahoo:

BEIJING — China’s Foreign Minister on Monday called Russia Beijing’s “most important strategic partner,” amid its continued refusal to condemn the invasion of Ukraine.

Wang Yi told reporters ties with Moscow constituted “one of the most crucial bilateral relationships in the world," adding “no matter how perilous the international landscape, we will maintain our strategic focus and promote the development of comprehensive China-Russia partnership in the new era.”

China has broken with the U.S., Europe and others that have imposed sanctions on Russia after its invasion of Ukraine. It says Washington is to blame for the conflict in Ukraine

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

S*** Russia isn't going to invite us to their birthday party this year. Darn. 

I thought we were about as friendly as we could be from 1944 and on... allowing them to have their own country and what not, and government. 

San Marino is the key name on that list.  :coffee:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

About to get a whole lot more interesting 

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said Sunday that NATO members have the go-ahead to send fighter jets to Ukraine as the U.S. and allies continue their efforts to help Ukraine defend itself against Russia's invasion.

"That gets a green-light," Blinken said"

I saw that and then saw something else that contradicted that and then saw something that said we would use Poland to give the Ukraine very old jets if Poland bought new ones from us.  A lot going on around this. We'll have to see how it all plays out. 

Very interesting, albeit a bit lengthy, read on whats going on inside Russia-

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1500495309595725831.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

You definitely don’t want to get me started on the auto industry and how they pulled a fast one on the entire country with politicians happily pocketing the profits. 

I enjoy walking, riding my bike, and taking the subway while telling the car/gas/oil industry to f*ck off. I also realize that I couldn’t say that if I lived in most places, but our lifestyle is by design. It’s nice not knowing or caring about oil or gas prices. Gas could be a dollar or twenty dollars a gallon and I wouldn’t know or really care. We are lucky enough to only fill our tank when we drive to MD a handful of times each year. 

Regarding the  oil industry, I think it is rather clear now that losing our energy independence was a terrible Idea. We went from cheap energy to now paying and/ or looking to make deals with countries like Russia, Iran, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. How much terror, destructions and lost lives will result from this one change in policy? 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I saw that and then saw something else that contradicted that and then saw something that said we would use Poland to give the Ukraine very old jets if Poland bought new ones from us.  A lot going on around this. We'll have to see how it all plays out. 

Having worked in the military aerospace manufacturing industry in another life. I’ll say this, if you think we’ve been giving even our so called allies state of the art equipment, you would be wrong!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reacher said:

Regarding the  oil industry, I think it is rather clear now that losing our energy independence was a terrible Idea. We went from cheap energy to now paying and/ or looking to make deals with countries like Russia, Iran, Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. How much terror, destructions and lost lives will result from this one change in policy? 

Probably a lot, but I don’t see us having the will to quit guzzling oil. We are too shortsighted and lazy. 

I think it’s idiotic to kiss up to these countries, b/c we can’t quit oil. But I’m sure we will continue our dependence. 

17 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Probably a lot, but I don’t see us having the will to quit guzzling oil. We are too shortsighted and lazy. 

I think it’s idiotic to kiss up to these countries, b/c we can’t quit oil. But I’m sure we will continue our dependence. 

You make a false argument here. We don't need to kiss up to anyone OR reduce oil consumption. A reduction in oil use is already underway but we have plenty of oil here to take care of ourselves and Europe.  We have more proven oil reserves now than we did 50 years ago despite 50 years of production with unproven reserves many multiples of that- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_reserves_in_the_United_States. Just open the spigots and quit demonizing it. Oil is the solution to so many of our problems. Short sightedness is not building enough nuclear reactors- or oil rigs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

Yeah, saw clarification...Ukraine wants Poland's archaic MIG 29 (80s era) because they have pilots who can fly them. We in turn sell F-16s (another 80s era fighter) to Poland...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Having worked in the military aerospace manufacturing industry in another life. I’ll say this, if you think we’ve been giving even our so called allies state of the art equipment, you would be wrong!

Do we even have our own state of the art equipment?  

45 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

sounds like a win-win-win to me.

Well, it's going to escalate the conflict...

Believe me, I'm not a war monger by any stretch of the imagination...I don't think anyone who's spent any time in the military is...

But if you've seen the heart breaking video of Russian troops shelling civilians simply trying to get out, you can't help but feel we have to intervene and stop this madman...

And this is possibly a start...

Edited by IUFLA

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Well, it's going to escalate the conflict...

Believe me, I'm not a war monger by any stretch of the imagination...I don't think anyone who's spent any time in the military is...

But if you've seen the heart breaking video of Russian troops shelling civilians simply trying to get out, you can't help but feel we have to intervene and stop this madman...

And this is possibly a start...

I am sure Vlad will be irate but who cares. It’s a 2022 Lend Lease program - meet American production lines (or in this case… advanced military technology)!

ukraine gets planes they’re cross trained on, Poland gets new planes, American defense industry gets a stock boost (as if they needed any help), and Vlad eats one. 

• Like 3