Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

3 hours ago, rico said:

Per Yahoo:

The Russian parliament has passed a bill introducing sentences of up to 15 years in prison for intentionally spreading “fake” information about military action.

That's rich.

Per Time:

“Mom, I’m in Ukraine,” Sergiy Kyslytsya read out in Russian, from printed text messages that he said were the last conversation between a Russian soldier and his mother before he was killed. “There is a real war raging here. I am afraid. We are bombing all of the cities, even targeting civilians. We were told that they would welcome us… They call us fascists. Mama, this is so hard.”

There was also a Canadian girl who moved to Ukraine that was being interviewed on the news. She said she was posting videos of the war on TikTok and Russian kids were commenting that the videos were fake. 

From the other side, just finished talking with my friend! Sounds like it’s worse than here in Georgia with the threat of a blizzard or a hurricane! Panic buying to go along with rampant inflation far worse than here! While my prayers go out to the people of the Ukraine, the everyday average Russians are also suffering! God Love them and keep them!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

From the other side, just finished talking with my friend! Sounds like it’s worse than here in Georgia with the threat of a blizzard or a hurricane! Panic buying to go along with rampant inflation far worse than here! While my prayers go out to the people of the Ukraine, the everyday average Russians are also suffering! God Love them and keep them!

Does you friend currently live in Russia or does he live here? What does he say about the (alleged) Russian misinformation campaign? 

14 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Does you friend currently live in Russia or does he live here? What does he say about the (alleged) Russian misinformation campaign? 

My friend is a she and yes she lives in St Petersburg. She is also half Ukrainian. And as she says Mr Putin didn’t ask her, she and I are as clueless as anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

My friend is a she and yes she lives in St Petersburg. She is also half Ukrainian. And as she says Mr Putin didn’t ask her, she and I are as clueless as anyone.

It seems like it’s only good for just one man’s ego. The Russian people are definitely getting a raw deal too  

is it being spun in St Petersburg that the Ukrainians we’re going to welcome them? That the Russian military isn’t bombing people’s homes? 

just curious. 

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

It seems like it’s only good for just one man’s ego. The Russian people are definitely getting a raw deal too  

is it being spun in St Petersburg that the Ukrainians we’re going to welcome them? That the Russian military isn’t bombing people’s homes? 

just curious. 

For twenty years my friend and I never talked politics. We are just now embarking on new territory knowing full well there are most likely ‘listeners’ I have no idea?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

“State of Kentucky's Teachers Retirement System was the second-largest shareholder for Sberbank of Russia (The largest bank in Russia). 

Their position dropped 95% in value from $13MM to $778K”

https://twitter.com/mkt_sentiment/status/1499585220001304576?s=21

Ouch.

The teachers union in Kentucky was awful to deal with when I lived there and had been bailed out many times (pension) and was already considered insolvent without major changes (meaning teachers beginning to contribute to their own pensions) but they ran out of office the one governor who was working to fix it. I’m sure those in Kentucky will have to bail them out….so glad I left!

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

That's rich.

Per Time:

“Mom, I’m in Ukraine,” Sergiy Kyslytsya read out in Russian, from printed text messages that he said were the last conversation between a Russian soldier and his mother before he was killed. “There is a real war raging here. I am afraid. We are bombing all of the cities, even targeting civilians. We were told that they would welcome us… They call us fascists. Mama, this is so hard.”

There was also a Canadian girl who moved to Ukraine that was being interviewed on the news. She said she was posting videos of the war on TikTok and Russian kids were commenting that the videos were fake. 

To be honest…there is a ton of misinformation on both sides…Ukraine and Russia…obviously it’s forgivable on Ukraines part to try to wage a PR campaign for support and to play mind games with the Russians…but this is 2022….fake news is for sure a real thing and it isn’t just an American thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

The teachers union in Kentucky was awful to deal with when I lived there and had been bailed out many times (pension) and was already considered insolvent without major changes (meaning teachers beginning to contribute to their own pensions) but they ran out of office the one governor who was working to fix it. I’m sure those in Kentucky will have to bail them out….so glad I left!

It’s INSANE that a US state’s teachers union was conned into being invested that deep in a Russian bank. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

According to some, death would be the proper route.

When Hitler was imprisoned after the Beer Hall putsch, he became a martyr and gained popularity with the German people.

That isn't meant to be a direct parallel, but more to say as long as Putin is drawing a breath, Russia will be a splintered country...

One other thing, I don't think the world is going to stand by while civilians are being slaughtered much longer...anybody who thinks this guy is going to fight by any published or moral rules is mistaken...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

When Hitler was imprisoned after the Beer Hall putsch, he became a martyr and gained popularity with the German people.

That isn't meant to be a direct parallel, but more to say as long as Putin is drawing a breath, Russia will be a splintered country...

One other thing, I don't think the world is going to stand by while civilians are being slaughtered much longer...anybody who thinks this guy is going to fight by any published or moral rules is mistaken...

I am far more versed in the rise and fall of Hitler than I am anything of Putin.

Direct parallel or not there does appear to be similarities between the two.  And I agree.

And so far the world is standing by sans outrage and protests.  Another similarity?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I texted two of my buddies who teach in Kentucky. Both responded with a message they got letting them know it was false. 

Yep, the tweet and story was updated that they sold their position right before the invasion and only lost $3.2M in the position. Still not great, but way better. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rico said:

I am far more versed in the rise and fall of Hitler than I am anything of Putin.

Direct parallel or not there does appear to be similarities between the two.  And I agree.

And so far the world is standing by sans outrage and protests.  Another similarity?

Agreed...the biggest similarity in my opinion is that both were/are off their f'ing rockers...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yep, the tweet and story was updated that they sold their position right before the invasion and only lost $3.2M in the position. Still not great, but way better. 

This is a problem across the board in America. Greed causes us to sell our soul to the devil to save a few dollars or make a couple. At what point do Americans decide we won’t fund terrorist in China, Russia, Middle East and pull our business out of all those places and invest in either the US or at the minimum in central and South America and perhaps stem the tide of immigrants forced to break laws to come to our country for jobs. I don’t understand why we prop up these rogue regimes by feeding their people and filling their coffers.

• Like 1