Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

1 hour ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Agree. This is what I posted early on that China is watching this intently. Depending on how this plays out, might determine how events between China/Taiwan unfold.

I wonder what my sentence at the Siberian Stoney Lonesome would be for calling Vlad a "stooge" if I lived in Russia...😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Oh man I could debate you all day on this. I do business with the largest oil and gas comany in the states (Exxon). Blaming everything on the pandemic is just inaccurate.

We shouldn't be scrambling to buy oil from Venezuela right now. Also the Saudis just laughed in our face when we asked them. Why do you think this is? 

I don't want to speculate on why the phone call didn't happen but it does look like the Saudis and OPEC will increase production.  Brent crude down $15 a barrel today, hopefully OPEC continues down this path.

Reports in the NYT that they have hit a maternity hospital in the south of Ukraine. What absolute trash. 

I think as Vlad the Impotent starts to get more desperate, we’ll see more of this kind of stuff. At least it seems like our politicians are mostly falling out of love with Vlad now. Never understood kissing up to a dictator like that. 

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Reports in the NYT that they have hit a maternity hospital in the south of Ukraine. What absolute trash. 

I think as Vlad the Impotent starts to get more desperate, we’ll see more of this kind of stuff. At least it seems like our politicians are mostly falling out of love with Vlad now. Never understood kissing up to a dictator like that. 

I can’t imagine any US politician standing in the Vlad corner. An opposing candidate would use a pro-Russian stance to just kill any chance for reelection 

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Absolute trash being thrown all ways! The original headlines about everyone on Snake Island being blown away, turns out they were all captured alive! I said it early on, don’t just read the headlines!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I can’t imagine any US politician standing in the Vlad corner. An opposing candidate would use a pro-Russian stance to just kill any chance for reelection 

As of today yes, but we’ve had others who were still praising him - even recently. It was always disconcerting to me to see that.

2 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Absolute trash being thrown all ways! The original headlines about everyone on Snake Island being blown away, turns out they were all captured alive! I said it early on, don’t just read the headlines!

The reports have already been confirmed. Are you trying to say that Russia is not hitting civilian targets?

The NYT actually reported on the Snake Island thing already - they reported it as a myth. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/technology/ukraine-war-misinfo.html

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The reports have already been confirmed. Are you trying to say that Russia is not hitting civilian targets?

The NYT actually reported on the Snake Island thing already - they reported it as a myth. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/03/technology/ukraine-war-misinfo.html

In a short answer, No! But I’m saying. be careful about listening to sensationalism on all sides!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

In a short answer, No! But I’m saying. be careful about listening to sensationalism on all sides!

Jesus, dude. It’s the New York Times. If they get it wrong, they will be correcting it in the next day’s paper. It’s not like it’s Tucker Carlson hanging on to Vlad’s jockstrap, and then moving on when the wind changes direction. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Jesus, dude. It’s the New York Times. If they get it wrong, they will be correcting it in the next day’s paper. It’s not like it’s Tucker Carlson hanging on to Vlad’s jockstrap, and then moving on when the wind changes direction. 

Feel free to PM me and I can tell you about my ministry trips to Russia!

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Guys, do not let this teeter out of bounds. Getting close.

Keep it between the lines.

I've participated and read stuff every other day....kudos to you and whoever has to follow. Can't imagine your own private network and texts saying ok....if so and so says one more thing this one is shut down. Haha.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Feel free to PM me and I can tell you about my ministry trips to Russia!

No need, have been there a few times myself and have many friends and colleagues who are Russian. I also picked IU Bloomington as a school b/c of their Russian history (my major) and Russian literature (my life long love). I’m pretty comfortable in my Russian knowledge these days, but appreciate the offer. 

And I’m honestly not trying to be an ass, but you’ve now told me how to read the news and touted your ministry trips to Russia in the last hour. I have no doubt you are very knowledgeable on the subject, but I’m good. 

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

No need, have been there a few times myself and have many friends and colleagues who are Russian. I also picked IU Bloomington as a school b/c of their Russian history (my major) and Russian literature (my life long love). I’m pretty comfortable in my Russian knowledge these days, but appreciate the offer. 

And I’m honestly not trying to be an ass, but you’ve now told me how to read the news and touted your ministry trips to Russia in the last hour. I have no doubt you are very knowledgeable on the subject, but I’m good. 

We’re good my brother! All I said was be careful about reading the headlines, including Tucker. As far as what is going on, as my Russian friend who is half Ukrainian says “ Mr Putin didn’t ask me, and I say Mr Biden didn’t ask me!”

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

We’re good my brother! All I said was be careful about reading the headlines, including Tucker. As far as what is going on, as my Russian friend who is half Ukrainian says “ Mr Putin didn’t ask me, and I say Mr Biden didn’t ask me!”

I love that and agree, my friend!

• Like 1

This is a tough read and really makes you thankful for the relative calm that we have here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/09/world/europe/ukraine-family-perebyinis-kyiv.html

KYIV, Ukraine — They met in high school but became a couple years later, after meeting again on a dance floor at a Ukrainian nightclub. Married in 2001, they lived in a bedroom community outside Kyiv, in an apartment with their two children and their dogs, Benz and Cake. She was an accountant and he was a computer programmer.

Serhiy and Tetiana Perebyinis owned a Chevrolet minivan. They shared a country home with friends, and Ms. Perebyinis was a dedicated gardener and an avid skier. She had just returned from a ski trip to Georgia.

And then, late last month, Russia invaded Ukraine, and the fighting quickly moved toward Kyiv. It wasn’t long before artillery shells were crashing into their neighborhood. One night, a shell hit their building, prompting Ms. Perebyinis and the children to move to the basement. Finally, with her husband away in eastern Ukraine tending to his ailing mother, Ms. Perebyinis decided it was time to take her children and run.

10 hours ago, Reacher said:

Some good points above. I'll add that I heard something like 37,000 permits were issued last year so the remaining 9000 isn't really that big of a number and are generally the most unattractive/ expensive ones. The bigger issue appears to be the slow walking for the existing permits. Cutting the regulatory burdens and creating a friendlier environment are necessary to reach our potential. I use some private energy programs for my clients and I know first hand they are paying down debt and deleveraging, instead of investing in additional production,  as there is no appetite to loan $ to fossil fuel energy companies at realistic rates. Part of this is due to the ESG investing trend I alluded to elsewhere that is driving $ away from fossil fuels. BP was happy to lose billions walking away from their Russia deal as they can now say they are a "cleaner" company. 

This administration has slow walked almost all permits/regulatory decisions. Bank mergers, telecom, other businesses and the permits you talked about. Been very difficult on businesses in general. Some will say that is a good thing and others will say the added red tape and slow walking these things has chilled the appetite for businesses to make these moves.

I was working for a large bank who was a major player in lending to fossil fuel industry and after the election they made a decision to end all of that and make it a prohibited business for lending for us. Wasn’t a huge deal I had been working on but I lost a 54 million dollar deal for a green gas refinery plant so even though it was a more environmentally friendly greatly reducing carbon emissions and would be a step forward in filling the needs in our energy portfolio the change in climate in Washington was the deciding factor and less so change in global climate lol. So in conclusion…the issue is extremely complex and multifaceted and probably a forum like this not the best way to discuss it…but their is no doubt the policies and decisions in Washington can have an effect. Not saying there wasn’t good reasons to move away from oil dependency and to cleaner energy but those decisions a year ago certainly are magnified now with the current crisis created by Russia.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I think the opinions on The NY Times is going to vary wildly on here just as much as Fox. If it is anything like most other major papers sure it might make a correction….but a major headline might get a retraction later…just buried so far into the paper no one will find it.

I think it is fairly safe to say a lot of misleading reporting going on with this Russia/Ukraine thing. Doesn’t help that those two countries are probably the two most corrupt countries in the world and famous for cyber warfare and using misinformation and bribes to benefit their causes with our media and politicians. While I get my information from many many sources I absolutely look at all of them with a great deal of skepticism…I just don’t think there is a lot of good honest journalism going on….not sure there are journalists….a lot of opinion and activist writers posing out there as journalists.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

So you have a life long love for Russia, and NYT is a benchmark since they may correct themselves, one day after a mistake AND it's ok that they don't wait one more day to post said mistake, only to insure they were not making a mistake, before millions of lostin76 readers ingest their mistake as truth, who also never read the retraction.

Do I have this about right?  

• Like 3

"In late October, the House Oversight and Reform Committee called in the CEOs of Exxon, BP, Shell, and Chevron to explain what steps they are taking to produce less oil and gas, with Rep. Hank Johnson (D., Ga.) alleging that “the world can’t wait” any longer. At the time, gas prices were hovering around a 10-year high."