Is This 1936 All Over Again?

IUFLA

13 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Reports in the NYT that they have hit a maternity hospital in the south of Ukraine. What absolute trash. 

I think as Vlad the Impotent starts to get more desperate, we’ll see more of this kind of stuff. At least it seems like our politicians are mostly falling out of love with Vlad now. Never understood kissing up to a dictator like that. 

You have an interesting take on history. Is this what you're thinking about? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclear-summit-obama-medvedev-idUSBRE82P0JI20120326

Feel free to PM if you are going to make this political. I'm trying to be absolutely factual on my end. 

Edited by Reacher

7 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

So you have a life long love for Russia, and NYT is a benchmark since they may correct themselves, one day after a mistake AND it's ok that they don't wait one more day to post said mistake, only to insure they were not making a mistake, before millions of lostin76 readers ingest their mistake as truth, who also never read the retraction.

Do I have this about right?  

Well, it’s difficult for a physical newspaper to correct itself the same day. Obviously, they update and correct online stories in real time, but that’s kind of hard to do in a physical newspaper. Do you remember those?

And yes, the NYT is a benchmark - for the freaking world. 

You might not realize that, but it is. Travel to any major city in the world and there will be a copy available in your hotel or any place that sells newspapers. It’s a newspaper of record for the world. 

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think the opinions on The NY Times is going to vary wildly on here just as much as Fox. If it is anything like most other major papers sure it might make a correction….but a major headline might get a retraction later…just buried so far into the paper no one will find it.

I think it is fairly safe to say a lot of misleading reporting going on with this Russia/Ukraine thing. Doesn’t help that those two countries are probably the two most corrupt countries in the world and famous for cyber warfare and using misinformation and bribes to benefit their causes with our media and politicians. While I get my information from many many sources I absolutely look at all of them with a great deal of skepticism…I just don’t think there is a lot of good honest journalism going on….not sure there are journalists….a lot of opinion and activist writers posing out there as journalists.

I’m sure you are right that opinions on here will vary widely. And definitely issues with the cyber warfare and false information. 

I’m also sorry that you don’t think there are a lot of good journalists. There clearly are. On the NYT, in other major newspapers, and probably one or two in your own hometown. How their work gets used and abused by media companies is definitely an issue. 

And before the peanut gallery pops up with the usual. Yes, there are some bad journalists out there and lots of bad media companies. I see this. But it doesn’t mean they all are. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

You have an interesting take on history. Is this what you're thinking about? 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nuclear-summit-obama-medvedev-idUSBRE82P0JI20120326

Feel free to PM if you are going to make this political. I'm trying to be absolutely factual on my end. 

You’ve posted this 10 year old article before in this thread trying to make it political. And again I’m not biting. 

I’m also not sure why you think I would waste time in a PM conversation with you. That sounds as fun as a root canal. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

You’ve posted this 10 year old article before in this thread trying to make it political. And again I’m not biting. 

I’m also not sure why you think I would waste time in a PM conversation with you. That sounds as fun as a root canal. 

No where outside of NY and Washington DC is the NYT revered the way it is by you, Get out of your bubble. You are living in the past. Todays NYT is biased and according to some sources like https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/9/matthew-rosenberg-new-york-times-rips-overreaction/ an overt participant in creating partisan division.  The NYT is father of "unnamed sources" ie fake news. None other than your Pulitzer winning NYT Journalist was just recently on video talking about the "crazy leftist s**t" that goes on there.  I don't know what type of world benchmark that is.

Regarding the link I posted, I was just trying to clear up your snarky comment which to me, appeared to be bringing in your political bias. If we don't want to discuss history, don't bring up history in a thread where history is crucially relevant. You have been far and away the the main contributor of politics to this thread. Please try to stay objective.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

No where outside of NY and Washington DC is the NYT revered the way it is by you, Get out of your bubble. You are living in the past. Todays NYT is biased and according to some sources like https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2022/mar/9/matthew-rosenberg-new-york-times-rips-overreaction/ an overt participant in creating partisan division.  The NYT is father of "unnamed sources" ie fake news. 

Regarding the link I posted, I was just trying to clear up your snarky comment which to me, appeared to be bringing in your political bias. If we don't want to discuss history, don't bring up history in a thread where history is crucially relevant. You have been far and away the the main contributor of politics to this thread. Please try to stay objective.

Quoting the Washington Times(!) - which is hilarious. When I lived in DC, that was the most mocked paper. They try so hard, but always the little twisted brother. 

Thank you for your pointers about how to post on a message board though. Appreciate how often you think of me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Quoting the Washington Times(!) - which is hilarious. When I lived in DC, that was the most mocked paper. They try so hard, but always the little twisted brother. 

Thank you for your pointers about how to post on a message board though. Appreciate how often you think of me. 

So you didn't watch the video?

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I feel like this is a seminal moment in world history...

We need to put aside our differences. Russia and China will eat our lunch if we, as a country, don't. 

I appreciate everyone's input, but let's try to be patriots rather than partisans...

I'm not sure that most Americans understand the real gravity of this conflict. It's not about political ideologies, it's about respecting national boundaries to maintain a stable world. Global economies require stability to function effectively. We are, for better or worse, part of the global economy and there's no going back to national self sufficiency. The human suffering is the consequence of one Russia's quest for power and greed.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Well, it’s difficult for a physical newspaper to correct itself the same day. Obviously, they update and correct online stories in real time, but that’s kind of hard to do in a physical newspaper. Do you remember those?

And yes, the NYT is a benchmark - for the freaking world. 

You might not realize that, but it is. Travel to any major city in the world and there will be a copy available in your hotel or any place that sells newspapers. It’s a newspaper of record for the world. 

I’m sure you are right that opinions on here will vary widely. And definitely issues with the cyber warfare and false information. 

I’m also sorry that you don’t think there are a lot of good journalists. There clearly are. On the NYT, in other major newspapers, and probably one or two in your own hometown. How their work gets used and abused by media companies is definitely an issue. 

And before the peanut gallery pops up with the usual. Yes, there are some bad journalists out there and lots of bad media companies. I see this. But it doesn’t mean they all are. 

I’m sure there are. I think as you have said that the bigger issues are the media companies themselves and how they use the reports and articles and then edit and focus the attention to sensationalize or for agendas. You see it a lot with the headlines for sure even when the articles don’t really support it.
Worst imo though is the incestial relationships with the govt and the govt agencies and reporters and the media. Basically, using “reporters” to be the mouthpiece or to attack political foes or figures. Heck even so much as giving them a hit list and some accusations so a reporter can say they have “sources” so that the agency can then start an investigation based off the “media report” and open a real investigation on someone without any real evidence and then either sully their name or go digging for dirt. Anyways I basically live in a very cynical world now. I don’t take anything at face value anymore from any media…right/left/supposedly center. I really scrutinize everything and if it is very important then I’ll cross reference all the reporting and simply come to my own conclusions. 

As far as Russia and Ukraine are concerned while I’m absolutely heartbroken for those being killed and effected I still realize that there is an active campaign using the media (on both sides) in waging this war as well. I’m not going to just assume everything I hear on the Ukrainian side is gospel…heck I don’t even believe all the reporting from America so why would I believe these foreign countries who have an even bigger stake to manipulate the coverage for support.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I feel like this is a seminal moment in world history...

We need to put aside our differences. Russia and China will eat our lunch if we, as a country, don't. 

I appreciate everyone's input, but let's try to be patriots rather than partisans...

I agree. But what do you do when almost all your politicians are deeply deeply in bed with one or both of these countries. Not sure why our country is so deeply economically tied to two of the worst country states in the world….not coincidentally two of the most corrupt govts too. These countries learned long ago that the only thing more powerful then the American determination and drive is American greed…and the greediest are all siting in DC and on these corporate boardrooms where they will agree and sacrifice any ideal to agree with doing business with these countries or making deals with them. So funny we can convince many of our politicians and corporations to help us go green or to serve minority causes or to band together in a disaster but we can’t come to agreement we need to stop funding and investing in these God awful regimes/countries….all because of $$.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m sure there are. I think as you have said that the bigger issues are the media companies themselves and how they use the reports and articles and then edit and focus the attention to sensationalize or for agendas. You see it a lot with the headlines for sure even when the articles don’t really support it.
Worst imo though is the incestial relationships with the govt and the govt agencies and reporters and the media. Basically, using “reporters” to be the mouthpiece or to attack political foes or figures. Heck even so much as giving them a hit list and some accusations so a reporter can say they have “sources” so that the agency can then start an investigation based off the “media report” and open a real investigation on someone without any real evidence and then either sully their name or go digging for dirt. Anyways I basically live in a very cynical world now. I don’t take anything at face value anymore from any media…right/left/supposedly center. I really scrutinize everything and if it is very important then I’ll cross reference all the reporting and simply come to my own conclusions. 

As far as Russia and Ukraine are concerned while I’m absolutely heartbroken for those being killed and effected I still realize that there is an active campaign using the media (on both sides) in waging this war as well. I’m not going to just assume everything I hear on the Ukrainian side is gospel…heck I don’t even believe all the reporting from America so why would I believe these foreign countries who have an even bigger stake to manipulate the coverage for support.

Please explain away the bombing of a maternity hospital. There is no “explaining away “ that atrocity. 

There is nothing you can say that justifies Purim’s blatant disregard for humanity. Be as heartbroken as you want, but then don’t try to rationalize this as media/political posturing 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Please explain away the bombing of a maternity hospital. There is no “explaining away “ that atrocity. 

There is nothing you can say that justifies Purim’s blatant disregard for humanity. Be as heartbroken as you want, but then don’t try to rationalize this as media/political posturing 

I don't think that he was trying to explain anything like that away. ANYONE that had any, and I mean any role in doing that, should be awarded a very slow and extremely painful demise.

With media today though, how do WE truly know they did that (as an example). Sure we see the reports, the pics, the women on stretchers. Is it all 100% legit? All too many times, given time and other reports, we find ourselves to have been duped and some or all of the sensational report was totally, or partially distorted let alone totally fake to begin with.... to support some agenda and most agenda's are for $$$, ultimately.

It's damn sad that, if we are totally honest with ourselves, can not believe one "printed" report on anything, no matter how huge or small, without double or triple cross checking. We've just been fooled way to many times.

Edited by Joe_Hoopsier

15 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I didn’t say anything about that. Where did you take that from?? Just saying there is a lot of misinformation coming out…even on the Ukrainian side. They are waging a publicity battle just the same as the Russians. Seen this in many other conflicts such as Palestinian and Israeli etc. Not uncommon to use edited images, actors, and sensational language. Heck sometimes they even blow up their own buildings etc and blame the other side. I’ve said all along how awful all this is. In fact I’ve been fully supportive of calling Russias bluff and sending in air support….this from the start. I’m not for sitting back and watching people get slaughtered so I am not sure how anyone thinks I was supporting Putins evil course of action. 

On 3/11/2022 at 4:07 AM, Reacher said:

The latest news out of Ukraine is the discovery of biolabs. Russia looking to hold an emergency session of the UN on Friday on the topic. 

What is troubling is the US involvement and funding of these biolabs. Just like in Wuhan. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/qanon-ukraine-biolabs-russian-propaganda-efforts-boosted-us-far-right-rcna19392

• Like 2

16 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yes, Snopes has already debunked this one as well. Pushed by Russia and unfortunately many of our own.

This aired last Sunday on Face the Nation...

So the question isn't so much are there "biomedical research facilities" (if you can point out the difference between that and a "biolab" I'd be happy to know the distinction)...in the Ukraine (there admittedly are) whether the US is involved in them (we are) and whether they handle dangerous pathogens (they do)...those points are beyond dispute according to the tweet linked above, no?

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but I also don't take Politifact simply wording a statement "There are no US-run biolabs in Ukraine, contrary to social media posts" at face value either...

Politifact has had to walk back their " debunking" before...

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/11/tik-tok-ukraine-white-house/

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/white-house-tiktok-stars-putin-gas-prices

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/11/politics/social-media-ukraine-russia-biden-administration/index.html

I thought this was a joke when I saw it. The White House is getting 18 year old Tick Tock stars to talk about Russia/inflation/gas prices. We are so screwed. 

Edited by RoadToZion