Maryland Post Game

Inequality

very nice to get the W.  like our chances in the next two, but really think they are far from gimmes.  M, MSU, and Iowa all have a tough remaining schedule too, but i'm not super confident that even if we go 2-1 that they will lose enough for us to make up a game and a half.  hopefully 1 or 2 of them will and we go into the B1G tourney 7th?  hated the uniforms.  absolutely hated them.  oh well.  i'm definitely getting old.  

8 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Watched the game recorded. Big win for the Hoosiers. Must’ve been the unis😁

He doesn’t play much, but Michael Durr always seems to make 2-3 great plays at crucial times when he’s in there. Really like what he does for this team.

Durr played exceptionally well on both ends. Good recognition and decisions

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

very nice to get the W.  like our chances in the next two, but really think they are far from gimmes.  M, MSU, and Iowa all have a tough remaining schedule too, but i'm not super confident that even if we go 2-1 that they will lose enough for us to make up a game and a half. 

Unfortunately we lose the tiebreaker against all three, so it will be very difficult to move higher than 9th

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

But we ran our offense differently tonight, so it's hard to say that wasn't the case. We had a lot more high ball screens which really opened things up, and TJD sitting didn't exactly hurt us. 

Not that I want us to be Purdue, but I think it highlights why they don't play two post players together AT ALL despite having two of the best in the country. 

We had a lot of conversations last year about Baylor and their style of play offensively. Obviously IU is a far cry from Baylor talent-wise at the guard and wing spots. They had a lottery pick at point guard. 

With that said, they ran a PnR offense with a 4 out set. They'd put their "4", Vital in the corner spotting up while their 5 would basically run around setting ball screens. 

Vital was a far worse 3pt shooter then Race Thompson. He hardly hit any 3's. But they still created space. 

Woodson came in talking about 4-out/1-in but we haven't really seen it, partly due to personnel. But I feel like we were close to that last night. Thompson was more in the 'short corner as opposed to the opposite block when XJ and TJD would run the PnR. 

I really hope this is a change. I think we saw towards the end of OSU, last night, and some of the games where TJD has been in foul trouble, but this offense is much, much better when we go away from working through TJD/Race on the block and go towards getting XJ, Kopp, Stewart, Galloway and Bates involved. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The past 2 games I have focused on Miller Kopps defense both on and off the ball. The young man does a really nice job especially getting around screens and switching. He makes up for some not great lateral movement by getting to the right spot and being in position 

He really does. Then he puts himself in a great spot to block out. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We had a lot of conversations last year about Baylor and their style of play offensively. Obviously IU is a far cry from Baylor talent-wise at the guard and wing spots. They had a lottery pick at point guard. 

With that said, they ran a PnR offense with a 4 out set. They'd put their "4", Vital in the corner spotting up while their 5 would basically run around setting ball screens. 

Vital was a far worse 3pt shooter then Race Thompson. He hardly hit any 3's. But they still created space. 

Woodson came in talking about 4-out/1-in but we haven't really seen it, partly due to personnel. But I feel like we were close to that last night. Thompson was more in the 'short corner as opposed to the opposite block when XJ and TJD would run the PnR. 

I really hope this is a change. I think we saw towards the end of OSU, last night, and some of the games where TJD has been in foul trouble, but this offense is much, much better when we go away from working through TJD/Race on the block and go towards getting XJ, Kopp, Stewart, Galloway and Bates involved. 

Completely agree here. I know I mentioned it before, but I’ve commented how the offense has looked better recently when Trayce isn’t in the game. I don’t mean that our offense is better when Trayce is sitting, but rather I think our offense would be much better if he wasn’t the focal point and first priority on offense when he’s in the game. He could be the nation’s best 3rd option if we let X, Race, and our 3 point shooters take control of this offense. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Completely agree here. I know I mentioned it before, but I’ve commented how the offense has looked better recently when Trayce isn’t in the game. I don’t mean that our offense is better when Trayce is sitting, but rather I think our offense would be much better if he wasn’t the focal point and first priority on offense when he’s in the game. He could be the nation’s best 3rd option if we let X, Race, and our 3 point shooters take control of this offense. 

I don’t even think he needs to be the 3rd option, we just need to change how we play through him. He's not a great post player, especially against power 5 teams that have bigs that can body him. 

His post moves aren't great and he's often slow to pass out of the double team or he passes to the wrong guy. It bogs the offense down and makes guys stagnant. 

But, he can be a #1 or #2 option in the PnR game if we space Race out and let XJ and TJD go to work. 

XJ is really good at hitting TJD on the roll, and then you can have Race either spot up in the corner and dive to the short corner like he did last night. 

I think that's the recipe. We saw it last night and it got XJ to the rim, it got TJD some easy buckets on the roll, it got Race some easy buckets from the short corner, and XJ hit our wings for some wide open 3's when the defense collapsed (they just need to make them).

The problem is when we run the PnR game while have the second post on the opposite block. That completely clogs the lane and renders the play almost useless. It put XJ in crowds and forces him to have to make tough decisions in traffic. Not good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We all know this team goes the way XJ Johnson goes! Rob P has a great game we beat Purdue , Johnson plays well we win! My hope is that Bates, and Galloway can raise their games to higher levels! 
I keep waiting for Stewart to go off and hit 5 or 6 threes! He doesn’t seem to have the ability to get his shots! Kopp hasn’t been the three point shooter I was hoping for! He doesn’t get many attempts either! 

11 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Ok, for your old, white ass I will teach you (which I am also!) Braids are 3 strands, twist left over right, right over left over and over and over. Dreads are, rub bacon grease in your hair, don't wash it for 6 months and try to make felt out of it.

I wear a somewhat flat top, but I have 4 daughters and 6 grand daughters. I'm a braidin MF'er! 😄

I have little daughters.  If my wife isn’t home and I have to do the ponytails, the results are comic relief.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

But, she also has another daughter (Sailor Brinkley):

Sailor-Brinkley-5.jpg

8 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

We all know this team goes the way XJ Johnson goes! Rob P has a great game we beat Purdue , Johnson plays well we win! My hope is that Bates, and Galloway can raise their games to higher levels! 
I keep waiting for Stewart to go off and hit 5 or 6 threes! He doesn’t seem to have the ability to get his shots! Kopp hasn’t been the three point shooter I was hoping for! He doesn’t get many attempts either! 

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have little daughters.  If my wife isn’t home and I have to do the ponytails, the results are comic relief.  

We can't be accused of being too narrowly focused.  I present to you three consecutive posts in a post-game thread after a big win.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I was really impressed with our 1st H. We played a lot of mins without TJD, XJ, RP, and TG.... I thought the other guys stepped up and made plays. 

Miller's shot at the end of the 1st H was nice way to go into the half. 

My son in-law texted me last night and was questioning why Woodson was using the bench so much. I told him,....MHO was that he's gonna need his bench down the stretch and the Maryland game was a great opportunity to do that. 

• Like 7

i watched some of the game.  First, Great win.  Maryland isn't very good.  Wow.  They had to rely on circus shots to stay in it.  But had nothing to do underneath.  Secondly, Great job XJ.  Thirdly, does Bates know that there are other players on the court when he gets the ball in his hand.  He is 100% going to shoot it when he gets it.  Love his confidence though.

Edited by IowaHoosierFan
  • Like 1

Very nice win.  I agree with the comments above about XJ and the varied offense.  

When XJ played well earlier, we were winning.  When he fell off, we fell off.  It’s time for him to harness the good XJ the rest of the way.  The dunk, the shooting, keeping the ball in front of him on D, staying under control for the most part.   

Some nice bench contributions by guys like Leal and Durr.   Bates is still shaky but he seems very coachable and he seems to understand.  Lot of upside there.

I like Kopp.  But I was worried Woody was going to have an aneurysm on that inexplicable pass he made in the corner by the bench.  Behind the back, in traffic?  I don’t know what the thought process was there but a senior doing that was bizarre.  He lost his mind. Plead temporary insanity and promise never to do it again.

I think Kopp and XJ can turn it up here and it will bring our team up a notch.  Throw in Phin on defense and we still have potential.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very nice win.  I agree with the comments above about XJ and the varied offense.  

When XJ played well earlier, we were winning.  When he fell off, we fell off.  It’s time for him to harness the good XJ the rest of the way.  The dunk, the shooting, keeping the ball in front of him on D, staying under control for the most part.   

Some nice bench contributions by guys like Leal and Durr.   Bates is still shaky but he seems very coachable and he seems to understand.  Lot of upside there.

I like Kopp.  But I was worried Woody was going to have an aneurysm on that inexplicable pass he made in the corner by the bench.  Behind the back, in traffic?  I don’t know what the thought process was there but a senior doing that was bizarre.  He lost his mind. Plead temporary insanity and promise never to do it again.

I think Kopp and XJ can turn it up here and it will bring our team up a notch.  Throw in Phin on defense and we still have potential.

Rarely do I comment much on personnel in regards to my opinion. I would roll with Bates 22mins+ the rest of the season. Explain to him the things he is doing wrong on the fly. 

I think he needs mins at this point. Things have slowed down for him some. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

I strongly agree.  I have observed the same thing and you articulated it well.  TJD is good and we need him.  But over-relying on him stifles the flow of the offense and is predictable for the defense and opposing coaches.  

• Like 2