Maryland Post Game

Inequality

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like Kopp.  But I was worried Woody was going to have an aneurysm on that inexplicable pass he made in the corner by the bench.  Behind the back, in traffic?  I don’t know what the thought process was there but a senior doing that was bizarre.  He lost his mind. Plead temporary insanity and promise never to do it again.

He's made a behind the back pass to the post in a game earlier this year, and I believe it led to Race getting an easy bucket. But, yeah, agreed that it was a really poor choice this time, and Woody certainly let him know it, and he didn't even have to open his mouth to show his displeasure. Anyone who has gotten a look like that from a coach, well, it's not good times to have to stand in a huddle with that staring at you and no words being said. I'm wagering Kopp got the message.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DWB said:

Didn't fill the stat sheet, but Leal played some good minutes. Don't remember him getting beat on defense, made some nice passes into the paint, and hit a 3.

Good for him !

I think Leal makes a difference with how much and how quickly he moves without ball. Makes some good passes, too. 

• Like 4

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Commentators made a point last night that XJ lost his grandfather, who he was very close to, on February 12th.

Might explain the funk he was in. Hope he continues to heal from his loss, and that he plays with the passion that his grandad would be proud of.

That isn't easy. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rarely do I comment much on personnel in regards to my opinion. I would roll with Bates 22mins+ the rest of the season. Explain to him the things he is doing wrong on the fly. 

I think he needs mins at this point. Things have slowed down for him some. 

Agree. I thought he looked solid in the first half when he was in without XJ for a while and had the ball in his hands. 

You could see his future. He's not a spot up wing, he's a guy as he develops you want the ball in his hands in the PnR. He's going to be a creator of offense, not a stand and shoot guy. 

He has a knack for coming off the ball screen and turning the corner to get to the mid-range/paint. Just needs to work on decision making and things slowing down when he rises to shoot. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I know you were being funny, and that bounce shot is the craziest thing I've seen in a while lol 

BUT... at a 5-13 rate, we need to be shooting closer to 25 3s then 13 3s. 38% is more than fine as a %. 

Not really....those stats were deceiving.....XJ was 3-3....the rest of the team 2-10.....we clearly were not shooting it well last night.....I'm not complaining because they were a majority VERY VERY good looks....ones we normally knock down with PS especially....but last nigh we were able to get to the hole at will....it opened up easy looks for Race and others. We shot 60% in the second half mostly as a result of getting to the rim or paint....of course our defense imo was the biggest reason allowing us to get out in transition or long rebounds and play with more pace before Maryland could set up their zone/defense.

• Like 1

Just now, dgambill said:

Not really....those stats were deceiving.....XJ was 3-3....the rest of the team 2-10.....we clearly were not shooting it well last night.....I'm not complaining because they were a majority VERY VERY good looks....ones we normally knock down with PS especially....but last nigh we were able to get to the hole at will....it opened up easy looks for Race and others. We shot 60% in the second half mostly as a result of getting to the rim or paint....of course our defense imo was the biggest reason allowing us to get out in transition or long rebounds and play with more pace before Maryland could set up their zone/defense.

ok, so XJ should have shot 100 of them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I did it for fun with my nieces and they thought it was the best thing ever. They told their mom my way is the correct way and she needed to learn that way

No way I try that with my daughter even though I'm terrible at hair...looks awesome but something would go wrong for me...I promise you that....just my life lol.

• Haha 1

Just now, btownqb said:

ok, so XJ should have shot 100 of them. 

LOL....clearly....no honestly I agree with your premise...that percentage would lend itself to shooting more and us probably winning....and again...I thought we shot the ball well....some in and out...most of them looked pretty good just didn't drop...I think almost all were good looks and the right decisions...but this is one of those analytic things that really didn't tell the whole story...one guy was hot...but overall yes I agree with you....I'd take 20 attempts at 3's at a 38% clip for sure normally if that was our entire team....but in this case...it was just X going off last night. The percentage was sadly probably right at our avg if he goes 1-3 similar to his avg....and I don't want that on 20-25 3's is all. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I thought he looked solid in the first half when he was in without XJ for a while and had the ball in his hands. 

You could see his future. He's not a spot up wing, he's a guy as he develops you want the ball in his hands in the PnR. He's going to be a creator of offense, not a stand and shoot guy. 

He has a knack for coming off the ball screen and turning the corner to get to the mid-range/paint. Just needs to work on decision making and things slowing down when he rises to shoot. 

Yes and a tighter dribble...aware of helping defenders....he has been loose/relaxed with that dribble too often this year and guys reach in and knock it away. You really have to keep that dribble low and tight when you get into the lane like that....but I do think he has a good skill set to work with...we've not had a 2 like him in some time....future is bright for him if he takes that next step like I think he should.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is awesome. I remember my first trip to the Hall. Was no where near as young as those 2. My 2 youngest from the time they were born were regulars. It is a special place 

My parents let me run around AH and Memorial stadium early in life because I had been there so much. Great times, great times. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Since we are so far off track anyway I will put this here. Started this puzzle a while back got main part done and just can't seem to finish but it's pretty cool.

20220225_063454.jpg

Your puzzle is way cooler than the one my kids got me for Christmas. I'm starting suspect my children hate me.

dgdgf.jpg

Edited by SawatchHoosier
Woodson didn't deserve that treatment
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i watched some of the game.  First, Great win.  Maryland isn't very good.  Wow.  They had to rely on circus shots to stay in it.  

Fatts Russel is a career 29% 3 point shooter and was 2-12 in their previous two games. Seems we always have someone go off and hit ridiculous shots. Although MD could point to JG's bounce bucket. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SawatchHoosier said:

Can we shoot threes like this? We're shooting 100% with this method. Until proven otherwise I say "yes"

As incredible as that shot was, how about the 3 Maryland made? Dude shoots it, clangs off the back of the rim, goes up and comes straight down into the bucket??  🤪

Good win, please don't lay a turd   💩  Sunday.....

10 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Fatts Russel is a career 29% 3 point shooter and was 2-12 in their previous two games. Seems we always have someone go off and hit ridiculous shots. Although MD could point to JG's bounce bucket. 

Seems like it's been that way since I starting watch Indiana 30 years ago. This might be some homerism but I feel like beating Indiana is big deal for any team even when we aren't playing well. Every kid on the opposing wants to hit big shots against the Hoosiers and when one kid has it going opposing coaches are gonna let them have the ball.

13 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Fatts Russell can win some games, but he will lose a helluva lot more.